TC Electronic RH 450

Last updated on 13 years ago
D
dubalonbass
Posted 14 years ago
Hello Friends ,

As you have all noticed , Mark is actually touring with a new tc rig...and i tried this combination at a local shop this week-end .

I have really been seduced by different things : incorporated tuner and the sound bank you can create and control with a very useful footswitch . ()

I also played with the compressor and the drive , also incorporated in this amp head . ...and that's it...
...the overall impression is a " cold sound " ...very cold sound...very accurate but really too chirugical for my taste . Of course , it's just my humble opinion . :|

On the paper , this amp head has all the features to please a bass player and be a sort of " must have " , but when it came to play it , i found it all different , soundwise simply disapointing or really common , in other terms , you'll never say : " Man , what a sound , never heard this before " ...

I would be glad if some folks here have already tried this amp head , could share their opinion . I would be the first happy to change my mind about this tc rig cos , once again , it has really great and cool features .

Alain

Ps : i played this amp head thru a 4x10 cab and believe me or not , you need a crane to remove this cab...realllllllllly heavy : 37kgs !!!!:D
M
musicman5
Posted 14 years ago
Having seen level 42 last week in Bristol, I must say that I wasn't overly impressed with mr kings sound - I will probably be hunted down and have my series II taken violently from my hands for saying such a thing - seen them six times before and always been overwhelmed by his sound but last week it sounded like a muted thump(sorry mr king) not sure if this was diwn to the new tc amp. Overall I wasn't impressed by the sound and I had, what I would consider, the perfectly central seat. Of course he is still a god amongst us mere mortals, and Pete was blindingly good!!

My humble opinion...... For what it's worth. :o
Angry-CanuckAngry-Canuck
Fusioneer
Posted 14 years ago
I am also quite curious about these amps mostly because they do offer some very enticing features (tuner and 3 band compressor, tone presets,yum!). As for MK's sound playing live, not a good benchmark as the bass you hear from the mains is run direct, which is not ANY indication of an amps potential.
pmarazitipmaraziti
Posted 14 years ago
I tried quickly the RH450 with the RS cabs and I have to say that I was not over impressed. TC Electronic is for sure a great company, but I (and it's just my opinion) think that the buzz on the market is caused by good marketing and having recruited famous endorsers.

Knowing a little bit the endorser market, I believe there's much more than a good sounding amp to convince even top players to switch from A to B. Maybe a bit cynical, but again, my opinion.

What I really like of the TC electronic is some features of the amp (e.g. presets) but I especially like the concept of vertical stackability of the cabs (which though you can do with any 2x10 and many 2x12) as I tend to not hear my self well while on stage.

It's funny that this comes up now as I agreed with my dealer to give an other try to the TC electronic stuff as I'm attempting to downsize a bit. See...the marketing is at least good enough to push me to try a second time...will I become a loyal consumer? so far not surem but I'll let you know if I change idea...

Status KingBass Paramatrix
Phantom NINPhantom NIN
Posted 14 years ago
Who would buy one of those.......oh...me.

Obviosly I don't find the sound too clinical, but sound is subjective.

I still love it, and I actually love the portabilty. I don't use the 4x10 though. I use the 2x10 and a 1x12. I find the 12 gives it a little bit more bottom end.

I only wish that I had got red Leds on my streamline as these would have matched with the control panel.

The gig bag it came with is gubbins though, it has fallen to pieces.
Drew, owner of:

Status Streamline 4 32"/16.5mm
Status Streamline 5 32"/16.5mm

TC Electronics Rebelhead 450
RS 2x10
RS 1x12
taz154btaz154b
Posted 14 years ago
Yep presets are nice, but what happens when you get a voltage spike or something else that causes you to lose your presets, I have an ADA MB1 preamp ( I no longer use it) It was very popular for having alot of features and it is nice but all it took was one gig for its previous owner to lose all its presets. He immediatley changed his rig to a trace elliot where he had knobs. I looked at the tc and read some not so flattering reviews. Remember what is supposed to be "stock" that an endorser uses may not be stock at all. I saw Barry Sparks ( supposedly a Carvin endorser) playing with MSG ( Michael Schenker Group) his Carvin speaker cabinets had Hartke speakers in them ( No disguising them)
Edited by taz154b on 19-10-2010 02:49, 14 years ago
stenobassstenobass
Veteran Member
Posted 13 years ago
I have ordered a RH450 without even testing it and hope it will fit my Statii...I am a bit worried about the fact that I may not be satisfied, but I will take the risk this time! I was very intrigued about the nice features (tuner, 3 preset eq memory, compressor) and the additional footswitch. Should be with me next week, I will report then....
Angry-CanuckAngry-Canuck
Fusioneer
Posted 13 years ago

stenobass wrote:
Should be with me next week, I will report then....

Anxiously awaiting your report Stefano, if you can, some sound bits would be nice as well B)
4 Asians, 2 Brits, 1 French and also some basses
A
alexcar6677
Posted 13 years ago
We never stocked them for the same reason, i really wasn't convinced they were a good bet, quite harsh and sterile

al
Angry-CanuckAngry-Canuck
Fusioneer
Posted 13 years ago

alexcar6677 wrote:
I really wasn't convinced they were a good bet, quite harsh and sterile

al

It seems a lot of bass players say the same thing about Status basses, but I think otherwise. MK seems to get a great sound, so I would be interested to turn the knobs myself to see what comes out of it. B)
4 Asians, 2 Brits, 1 French and also some basses
stenobassstenobass
Veteran Member
Posted 13 years ago

TSA wrote:

stenobass wrote:
Should be with me next week, I will report then....

Anxiously awaiting your report Stefano, if you can, some sound bits would be nice as well B)

Hi Todd,

hopefully it will arrive next week just in time for an outdoor gig on Friday! I will then let you know my impressions! Will also try to make some clips with the bass alone.

Yesterday at an indoor gig I used my trusty Markbass TA501 which is a really good amp actually and stayed with me over the last 4 years. Just fancied a change...I may have to look at the cabs as well..., but funds are limited...
stenobassstenobass
Veteran Member
Posted 13 years ago

alexcar6677 wrote:
We never stocked them for the same reason, i really wasn't convinced they were a good bet, quite harsh and sterile

al

Hi Alex,

what amp do you prefer?
EdmoukEdmouk
Posted 13 years ago
These videos might help...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCnC0n...CnC0n4txgA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzal2V...re=related

(Sorry, posting videos with a visible screen doesn't seem to be working...)
Edited by Edmouk on 27-05-2011 21:52, 13 years ago
stenobassstenobass
Veteran Member
Posted 13 years ago
Hi there,

yesterday I collected my RH450 and had a go with my Statii at home.

I do not know what my neighbours think:D...BUT I must say that this little beast sounds great! I have the impression that my basses sound more natural than through my (now ex-)Markbass TA501 which is a great amp, but seems now a bit harsh compared to the RH450. The TC is maybe not so loud and you have to crank the highs a bit to get that nice high end zing, but has a more organic sound, at least to my ears. This may be also due to the 2 small EBS Neo cabs I use with the head and could change using different cabs, but I am extremely happy so far.

I need to learn how to use the eq as per shift button you can change the frequency to adjust, very clever! The footswitch is another great addition too.

Will update my review once I gigged it!
RetroronRetroron
Posted 13 years ago

TSA wrote:
I am also quite curious about these amps mostly because they do offer some very enticing features (tuner and 3 band compressor, tone presets,yum!). As for MK's sound playing live, not a good benchmark as the bass you hear from the mains is run direct, which is not ANY indication of an amps potential.

Agreed!!! MK is running his bass through the heads, but he's leaving everything flat on the amps, and adjusts his sound via the controls on his bass. :)
P
paul clifton
Posted 13 years ago
I looked into an RH450 but in the end the RH750 seems a much better amp for my needs - the RH450 has a frequency cut-off point of 5khz, which takes out a lot of the zing and hi-fi shine that I am sure a lot of us love. The 750 has no limit and is open ended. I am currently in the process of buying a used HD350, which was always my favourite sounding amp, but the size, portablility and gizmos that come parceled in to the TC RHs make them incredibly seductive. Mind you - the Staccato is the real one to have for that hi fi sound ;)
Kingbass serial number 16 - rosewood and walnut
STATUS Hotwire strings 30-90 hex core
A
Alec
Posted 13 years ago
I love my RH450 to bits, in fact I love it so much I bought a second one. So I have one as part of my bigger gigging rig, plus a second with a 1x10" cab at home for practise & taking round to small events/rehearsals.

The main bit I'd appreciate from the RH750 is the dedicated compressor knob. The extra top end doesn't bother me, as I'm not a slapper, but I recognise that a lot of Status players would be. The only disadvantage of the RH750 (other than the cost) is the always-on fan, not that it's a huge problem.

The other good thing about the RH750's introduction is the price drop on the RH450. Only wish I was buying now! (But at least I've had the joy of using mine for over a year now...)
Status Empathy 4-string headless 1995
TC RH450 (x2!) with Genz Benz NEOX 212T & STL-10T
I
intercept
Posted 13 years ago
The latest edition of Bass Gear magazine (online) has an interesting review of the RH450. See link below, then jump to page 53. The bench test results have raised a few eyebrows and upset a number of people who thought that they'd bought a 450 watt amp. Apparently TC approved the article before it was published. That said, most people who own the amp love it, so ignore the numbers and play on :)

http://btpub.boyd-printing.com/public...n/?i=76122

and this thread also discusses TC's approach, and their response to the review.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/tc-...ad-801140/
strattybassstrattybass
Veteran Member
Posted 13 years ago
if i can get the funding im going to try and get one of these or similar with a 1 4x10 in the next couple of weeks !!:)
Kingbass Black beauty
Kingbass Black beauty para
GB rumour
line 6 helix
TC Electronic Effects
tc rh450 head
tc 2x10 cab
T
travelingbassman
Posted 13 years ago
Mine should arrive from Denmark next week.Rh750 :)
Did you know that an over exposure to shit drummers can make you ill ,Sad
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator