S-2 tonal options

Last updated on 17 years ago
H
handyandy
Posted 17 years ago
Guys, I'm the proud owner of a beautiful S-2 classic, which is almost everything I'd ever want from a bass, I say almost because there is just one aspect that I'm having dificulty with. Whilst I'm very happy with the general tone, I am finding that notes played on the D and G strings are getting lost in the mix in a band situation, to the point that it becomes dificult to hear what I'm playing. For example, if I play a C on the A string, its perfectly clear, but follow it with the octave c on the G string, the high note gets lost. I have spent some time fiddling with eq settings and boosting the mids enables a bit more clarity but at the expense of tone. I have changed the strings to the same brand (elixirs) as my Spector, which incidently rings out perfectly clear in that register, using the same amp settings as a comparison (nothing like the S-2 in terms of playability or quality though;))
Could this just be a characteristic of the pick-ups or preamp? Had a bass with Bartolinis on once, with a similar warm tone and similar problem. Thought it might be a technique issue, but then it would occur on other basses I use.
Any ideas?
moomoo
Fusioneer
Posted 17 years ago
Picture of bass???

:D
Strata #05 - Status Series II #94 - Status Series II #147 - Status Series II #230 - Status Series II #487 - Status Series II 5 string #58 - Status Series 2000 #106 - Status Series 2000 #327 (FPPR) - Status Empathy #2009 ’93 - Status Empathy 5 string '95 - Status King Bass '06 moo wood - Status King Bass '07 moo wood fretless - Alembic MK Sig Deluxe '88 - Alembic Inside Out Brown Bass ’11 - JayDee Series I 'Starchild' '08 - JayDee Series I Cherry Red ’19 - Sei Bass Flamboyant - Sei Bass Flamboyant Offset - Ibanez SR2600 ’18 - Ibanez SRMS 805 ’19 - Ibanez SR1405 ’19 - Vigier Passion Series I #623 '88 - Vigier Arpege Series II #249 '84 - Vigier Arpege Series III #088 '86 - Shuker Custom Series 2 ‘08 - Warwick Thumb 4 TN '89
rolandroland
Posted 17 years ago
Close up photos of pickup adjustment and string action?
H
handyandy
Posted 17 years ago
thanks for the quick responses, I'll try and get my head around posting pics and get some on here:)
H
handyandy
Posted 17 years ago
hope this works! If it does I'll get some closer ones taken

[img][/img]img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/andyonbass/S21.jpg[img][/img]
F
Feathers
Posted 17 years ago
Can't help with the problem but i'll be the first to say thats a beautiful wood, lovely colour tone!
Washburn Force 42 Headless
Sojing Slient Frettless (now Upright as well)
Trace Elliot Boxer 65 amp
Status5Status5
Posted 17 years ago
Thats one pretty S2! Please say its headed! :D
(I must remember to put one on my list to Santa.)
In the meantime, I had a similar problem with the Eclipse and found that re setting the pickups improved the 'across the range' tone, so you could give that a go.
Have a look on the Status Graphite web site, 'cos if I remember rightly, there is some setup info there under Q + A.
Good luck!
M
B)B)B)
H
handyandy
Posted 17 years ago
sorry if these are a bit large - only just fathomed how to post them!

img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/andyonbass/DSC00538.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/andyonbass/DSC00543.jpg

Height of G string above neck pickup is 4mm and bridge is 3mm if this helps
Cheers
Andy
Edited by andre on 03-11-2006 06:08, 17 years ago
H
handyandy
Posted 17 years ago

Thats one pretty S2! Please say its headed

Yup, sure is :D

I've raised the pickups on the treble side, I'll have to see how it fares at rehearsal on wednesday, with the band
Cheers for the responses :)
SteveSteve
Fusioneer
Posted 17 years ago
The distance between the string and the pickup is proportional to the output level of that string - so you could try either lowering the action on the quiet strings or raising that side of the pickup (so as not to cause fret-buzz)
Not only will this increase the percieved volume of the D and G strings, but it will also give a much better signal/noise ratio - reducing what little hiss there may be, though... its a Status so there wouldnt be much if any to begin with!
Status S2 5 String Fretless 'Moo-wood'
Status S1000 rebuild
Fender Strat - Fretted
Shadow Superstrat Guitar - Fretless
Ibanez RG Electric of some sort
Avalon As-101CE Electro-Acoustic Guitar

I've owned 5 Statii so far, with 2 at present....
SteveSteve
Fusioneer
Posted 17 years ago
*rolls eyes*

Beat me to it while I was typing.
Status S1000 rebuild
Fender Strat - Fretted

rolandroland
Posted 17 years ago
According to physics (and Rob :) ) the output level is not only proportal to the string pickup distance but goes up exponentially. ("if you make the gap half as much the output can be up to ten times not just twice")

Err... Well... On the other hand side, if you measure output level logarithmically (e.g, dB), they are proportional again... :o
Status5Status5
Posted 17 years ago
I just pulled this from the Status site.

STRING HEIGHT :

I generally set the string height on my basses up by 'feel' so there are no fixed heights but they would be about like this :
Bottom of G-string to 24th fret... about 3.0mm
Bottom of D-string to 24th fret... about 3.5mm
Bottom of A-string to 24th fret... about 4.0mm
Bottom of E-string to 24th fret... about 4.5mm

String height is always a compromise between clarity and fret buzz... sustain and the strings choking against the frets. It will always depend on your playing style and personal preferences.

PICKUP HEIGHT :

The distance from the pickup to the string makes a big difference. I normally set the bridge pickup to about 4-5mm and the neck pickup to about 6-7mm. This varies from model to model as some basses have pickups which have been made to take the extra string movement above the neck pickup into account. The closer the pickup is to the string the greater the output but this goes up exponentially so if you make the gap half as much the output can be up to ten times not just twice.

Hope that helps.
Score a browne point for the head :D
M
B)B)B)
H
handyandy
Posted 17 years ago
Thanks for all the input, guys, I'll report in after rehearsal on weds!:)
H
handyandy
Posted 17 years ago
Well after adjusting the pickup height, there was a great improvement........
BUT......
I found out last night that my 6 yr old son had turned the horn attenuator on my speaker cabinet, all the way down!! :@
One quick turn later and its now sounding better than ever
Phew!!
Thanks again guys
SteveSteve
Fusioneer
Posted 17 years ago
Lol!
Atleast its sorted.
Status S1000 rebuild
Fender Strat - Fretted

Status5Status5
Posted 17 years ago
:o
........:D
B)
G
GrapevineBass
Posted 17 years ago
Thanks for the advice guys. I had noted the lack of treble clarity on my S2 4-string. So, I will try adjusting the pick up height...but how? Do I just slacken the screws, or do I need to take the pick ups out and put some packing material underneath? If so, anything I should know in advance to do this?
Status S2 (only!)
SteveSteve
Fusioneer
Posted 17 years ago
Im not sure about the S2's, but the screws seem to do that on my S2000.
Its the standard way to adjust pickup height anyway - just give it a go sure :P
Status S1000 rebuild
Fender Strat - Fretted

You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator