Thread subject: STATII.COM: For all things Status-Graphite :: S-2 tonal options

Posted by Status5 on 04-11-2006 06:01

I just pulled this from the Status site. STRING HEIGHT : I generally set the string height on my basses up by 'feel' so there are no fixed heights but they would be about like this : Bottom of G-string to 24th fret... about 3.0mm Bottom of D-string to 24th fret... about 3.5mm Bottom of A-string to 24th fret... about 4.0mm Bottom of E-string to 24th fret... about 4.5mm String height is always a compromise between clarity and fret buzz... sustain and the strings choking against the frets. It will always depend on your playing style and personal preferences. PICKUP HEIGHT : The distance from the pickup to the string makes a big difference. I normally set the bridge pickup to about 4-5mm and the neck pickup to about 6-7mm. This varies from model to model as some basses have pickups which have been made to take the extra string movement above the neck pickup into account. The closer the pickup is to the string the greater the output but this goes up exponentially so if you make the gap half as much the output can be up to ten times not just twice. Hope that helps. Score a browne point for the head Grin M CoolCoolCool