Just ordered new kingbass

Last updated on 11 years ago
D
dotadi2001
Posted 11 years ago
After picking up a mint second hand kingbass standard just weeks ago, I am so hooked on status basses I have had to order another one. The new one I have ordered is a kingbass artist but this time with bendwell and 16.5mm spacing. Should look nice Ive chosen a north American mapel which is a lot lighter in colour, with blue leds front and side. Dreading the agonising wait now though.
Here is a picture of the one I have just purchased, funny enough its the exact one thats on the status website library. and one of the new one.
Cheers,
Ron

i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa374/dotadi2001/K_4_maple-8950-72-1.jpg

i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa374/dotadi2001/K4-554-2-4101-Copy2.jpg
Edited by dotadi2001 on 24-05-2013 09:50, 11 years ago
R
RicAdams
Posted 11 years ago
Sweet basses, congratulations! Having only recently got my first status bass, I can see what you mean about wanting more ... I feel it could grow into an addiction! I am already contemplating what I would spec if I ordered another :)
Why do tomorrow what you can put off for the rest of the week ...
D
dotadi2001
Posted 11 years ago
Yeah your right about the addiction, it also sounds like we will be seeing your new addition on here soon. Hopefully :)
moomoo
Fusioneer
Posted 11 years ago
Lovely lovely basses.

Some nice pictures would be appreciated :)
Strata #05 - Status Series II #94 - Status Series II #147 - Status Series II #230 - Status Series II #487 - Status Series II 5 string #58 - Status Series 2000 #106 - Status Series 2000 #327 (FPPR) - Status Empathy #2009 ’93 - Status Empathy 5 string '95 - Status King Bass '06 moo wood - Status King Bass '07 moo wood fretless - Alembic MK Sig Deluxe '88 - Alembic Inside Out Brown Bass ’11 - JayDee Series I 'Starchild' '08 - JayDee Series I Cherry Red ’19 - Sei Bass Flamboyant - Sei Bass Flamboyant Offset - Ibanez SR2600 ’18 - Ibanez SRMS 805 ’19 - Ibanez SR1405 ’19 - Vigier Passion Series I #623 '88 - Vigier Arpege Series II #249 '84 - Vigier Arpege Series III #088 '86 - Shuker Custom Series 2 ‘08 - Warwick Thumb 4 TN '89
4StringsGood
Posted 11 years ago
Doesn't look entirely unlike Paul Clifton's KingBass I just bought.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/96458272...836921841/

The figuring of the NA maple above looks gorgeous.

This is my first chance to handle a KB and I have to say I'm surprised how small and light they are. I was expecting a much heavier and bigger body, and perhaps a big bias of balance to the the rear (my Washburn always seemed to want to 'fall' backwards). What I'm not surprised by is the tone - super defined, crisp and metallic. Excellent. Now I just need to pick my moment to tell my wife that I've bought another bass...until then it's going to have to stay under the spare bed!

Cheers
sgh42sgh42
Posted 11 years ago
Once you go Status you never go back !
*Basses*
GB Rumour (2010) . . . . : . . . . :

*Amplification*
Genz Benz Shuttle 9.2 Head
Vanderkley 212MNT Cab

I am the greatest bass player in my house apart from my fish.
D
dotadi2001
Posted 11 years ago

4StringsGood wrote:
Doesn't look entirely unlike Paul Clifton's KingBass I just bought.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/96458272...836921841/

The figuring of the NA maple above looks gorgeous.

This is my first chance to handle a KB and I have to say I'm surprised how small and light they are. I was expecting a much heavier and bigger body, and perhaps a big bias of balance to the the rear (my Washburn always seemed to want to 'fall' backwards). What I'm not surprised by is the tone - super defined, crisp and metallic. Excellent. Now I just need to pick my moment to tell my wife that I've bought another bass...until then it's going to have to stay under the spare bed!

Cheers

Hi Yeah it does look very similar, all the things you mentioned were exactly the same things I was surprised about too. The tone is great and it’s not all about top end either is it, there is loads of bottom which I didn’t expect. Always played musicman basses over the years but status is for me now to be honest.
Good luck with the wife: :)
P
paul clifton
Posted 11 years ago
That maple Kingbass was amazingly light - really noticeable difference with my current bubinga fronted one.
Kingbass serial number 16 - rosewood and walnut
STATUS Hotwire strings 30-90 hex core
4StringsGood
Posted 11 years ago

paul clifton wrote:
That maple Kingbass was amazingly light - really noticeable difference with my current bubinga fronted one.

I'll take good care of it Paul.

Nigel
D
dotadi2001
Posted 11 years ago
Yeah it is really light, it took my fancy when I found the picture on an older kingbass library. Rob said it was a North American maple which tends to be a lot lighter and that he had some left in stock.
D
dotadi2001
Posted 11 years ago
That bass you just bought of Paul is beautiful, if I had seen that I would have been after that like a shot. :)
P
paul clifton
Posted 11 years ago
I only sold it privately on April 20th, so I guess the new owner didn't get on with it. He came to buy a tc rs210 cab off me, saw the Kingbass and made me an offer on the spot.
Kingbass serial number 16 - rosewood and walnut
STATUS Hotwire strings 30-90 hex core
D
dotadi2001
Posted 11 years ago
Yeah I suppose no matter how good they are, there not gonna suit everyone, it was a beauty though. To be honest I didnt think they would be for me either, but I am well and truly hooked now. I would love to try a streamline though, I was tempted to order one of those first.
Ive just recently bought rs210 and rh450, very pleased with the rig, not sure how it will perfom live though.
strattybassstrattybass
Veteran Member
Posted 11 years ago
I've just ordered a chinese lol its all i can afford at the moment enjoy it ron they're lovely basses .
Andy
Kingbass Black beauty
Kingbass Black beauty para
GB rumour
line 6 helix
TC Electronic Effects
tc rh450 head
tc 2x10 cab
D
dotadi2001
Posted 11 years ago
Hi Andy,
Thanks I know what you mean I can’t afford the Chinese now I’m broke and in dept now. :)
strattybassstrattybass
Veteran Member
Posted 11 years ago
tell me about it mate !
Kingbass Black beauty
Kingbass Black beauty para
GB rumour
line 6 helix
TC Electronic Effects
tc rh450 head
tc 2x10 cab
4StringsGood
Posted 11 years ago

strattybass wrote:
I've just ordered a chinese lol its all i can afford at the moment enjoy it ron they're lovely basses .
Andy

Last night I was playing my Chinese bass (that's not a euphemism). It's a Richwood jazz clone and I think it cost me about £200 from TradMusic quite a few years ago. Admittedly I have replaced pickups and pots with Fender Jazz but...it is a gorgeous bass and looks and feels superior to my actual Fender. The vanilla coloured body is much heavier and the neck looks like it's come off something from the 60s.

I have done the Jaco with it - removed frets, filled fret holes with Milliput (epoxy putty) and then LOADS of coats of yacht epoxy on the fingerboard. It sounds absolutely great (my playing notwithstanding).

Just checked - they're still for sale: http://www.tradmusic.co.uk/acatalog/O...od_61.html
Cheers
D
dotadi2001
Posted 11 years ago
They look good and Yeah its true its not always about spending lots of money, there are plenty of good basses out there that dont get the recognition they deserve. Ive bought many good basses over the years for a few hundred pounds, that were really good playable instruments.
4StringsGood
Posted 11 years ago
As I say, I'm staggered by the quality and feel of the Richwood for the money. I also added a threaded barrel bridge, a tortoiseshell scratchplate and a bone nut because the body colour and the neck just look so vintage that I think it suited it. I really love this bass - Teen Town sounded fantastic coming out of it last night...you know when the tone of a bass makes you sound better than you think you are?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96458272...764689668/

My only concern is, that to knock out instruments of this quality for £200, some Chinese kids are toiling in a sweatshop somewhere for peanuts. Anyway, this thread was about dotadi2001's new KB and I don't want to sidetrack it further.
D
dotadi2001
Posted 11 years ago
10 weeks to go!! I’m half way there,:) please hurry up the wait is agonising.:(
Was anyone else fretting like me about whether to collect from the factory, or risk the courier when the time comes? I would have a long distance to travel around 200miles, so am I being foolish worrying about this or not.
Has anyone got any thoughts on this issue of mine?
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator