BEWARE: Dodgy Status on E-bay.....

Last updated on 17 years ago
MisterpinkMisterpink
Veteran Member
Posted 17 years ago
Oh dear....... check this out..... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Status-Headless...dZViewItem
Essex..... Home of the Bass!!!!

UK Award Winning Wedding/Function Band:www.5catfish.com

HOT SAUCE Disco/Funk/Rare Groove covers band:www.HotSauceDisco.com

Sponsors
www.k-array.com/
www.gallien-krueger.com
www.purple-chili.com
i112.photobucket.com/albums/n182/crez5150/JayCramphorneavt.jpg
Edited by andre on 15-06-2007 20:29, 17 years ago
S
Stubacca
Posted 17 years ago
Oh dear indeed! It surely wouldn't take much research to learn that it's clearly not a Status - I wonder if he knows and is trying to get rid, or if he genuinely believes he's selling an "original Rob Green's finest"?

Perhaps someone should ask the question...
andreandre
Admin
Posted 17 years ago
Question asked!
Darren GoldsmithDarren Goldsmith
Posted 17 years ago
If it's not a Status... what is it, do you reckon? And how can you tell it's not a Status?
andreandre
Admin
Posted 17 years ago
I asked the seller and he responded "Hi the serial number is on the brass headless part and reads 07XX I don't know why there is no logo,but if you compare the hardware,it looks genuine.The neck is definitely a Carbon fire status,everything else just looks and feels right. Regards"

07XX? Possibly a homemade with a graphite neck?
andreandre
Admin
Posted 17 years ago
What a rip off! Beware!

The seller actually bought this bass a few weeks back as an "UNBRANDED CUSTOM MADE 5 STRING BASS GUITAR" for £190 and is now trying to pass it off as a Status! :o

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...0114495288

I have written to him once again ...
Edited by andre on 15-06-2007 20:29, 17 years ago
You do not have access to view attachments
andreandre
Admin
Posted 17 years ago
Seller wrote to me saying " i have been in touch with Rob green at status,it is a status that has been customised with bartolinis it definatly a Status Bass"

I
indyman612
Posted 17 years ago
I cant believe it! Its making nearly £600. Can someone explain this because I'll be whatevered if I can understand why :o
andreandre
Admin
Posted 17 years ago
Actually that was the previous description that the buyer purchased on Ebay ...
Edited by andre on 18-06-2007 15:58, 17 years ago
moomoo
Fusioneer
Posted 17 years ago
The biggest of the million reasons why this isn't a Status is I don't think Rob has EVER put the jack socket on the bottom of any of his basses!

And it looks like a piece of park bench wood

:D
Strata #05 - Status Series II #94 - Status Series II #147 - Status Series II #230 - Status Series II #487 - Status Series II 5 string #58 - Status Series 2000 #106 - Status Series 2000 #327 (FPPR) - Status Empathy #2009 ’93 - Status Empathy 5 string '95 - Status King Bass '06 moo wood - Status King Bass '07 moo wood fretless - Alembic MK Sig Deluxe '88 - Alembic Inside Out Brown Bass ’11 - JayDee Series I 'Starchild' '08 - JayDee Series I Cherry Red ’19 - Sei Bass Flamboyant - Sei Bass Flamboyant Offset - Ibanez SR2600 ’18 - Ibanez SRMS 805 ’19 - Ibanez SR1405 ’19 - Vigier Passion Series I #623 '88 - Vigier Arpege Series II #249 '84 - Vigier Arpege Series III #088 '86 - Shuker Custom Series 2 ‘08 - Warwick Thumb 4 TN '89
special-boyspecial-boy
Posted 17 years ago
I think you are right. In that case, I'll do it now, or else we'll all assume someone else will do it - as I almost just did. Will let you know what he says.
MisterpinkMisterpink
Veteran Member
Posted 17 years ago
good idea..... nothing against people selling stuff on on e-bay fro a profit..... but thats just taking the pee!!!

Sponsors
www.k-array.com/
www.gallien-krueger.com
www.purple-chili.com
special-boyspecial-boy
Posted 17 years ago
OK, guys, I have heard back from Rob. Here's what he said:

Hi Keith,
I believe Neil Bowman is the sellers name ?
He e-mailed me a couple of photographs on 26th May. This is my reply to him :

The bass has been much modified so it's hard for me to comment on it. The pickups and circuit are not original and the body shape and finish have been modified. Looks OK though.

Some parts look original but the body has been chopped around somewhat and re-painted. It may be a whole new body ?

It's described on e-bay as "One of Rob Green's finest.." which is a considerable exaggeration as a lot of it has nothing to do with me. I have no idea what it plays like so can't recommend or otherwise.

£545 eh?

You can post this on my behalf if it will help anyone...

Thanks and best regards, Rob Green.

------------
MisterpinkMisterpink
Veteran Member
Posted 17 years ago
I've reported this item as Fraudulent..... as it so obviously is....

Sponsors
www.k-array.com/
www.gallien-krueger.com
www.purple-chili.com
andreandre
Admin
Posted 17 years ago
Well done MisterPink!
MisterpinkMisterpink
Veteran Member
Posted 17 years ago

andre wrote:
Well done MisterPink!

Well surely it's not a Status body....... just look at it...... look at the neck joint..... and even if it has been modified..... I can't see that it was an original Status body?????

Any way..... I'm not angry..... really..... just been watching this again as it always makes me laugh.... http://youtube.com/watch?v=vOAY-zURlGA

Sponsors
www.k-array.com/
www.gallien-krueger.com
www.purple-chili.com
Darren GoldsmithDarren Goldsmith
Posted 17 years ago
LOL... I've never seen that sketch before. Brilliant! :)
special-boyspecial-boy
Posted 17 years ago
That is very odd. I was just thinking the same thing. I went back to the listing and there was a question asked by someone who seemed interested. I felt really bad that they may actually believe it is genuine, so I decided to pose a question to the seller, of something along the lines of: It doesn't appear to be a Rhino to me. Can you offer any assurances that the body is genuine, as it doesn't appear so to me. I am not convinced of its authenticity. Any assurances would be appreciated" I just played dumb and then if he comes back with a crock of, I was going to try contacting ebay with the evidence. I would hate to see someone stung with this.

Will let you know what he says.

Boy has this one got under my skin. It is just immoral

Cheers

Keith
special-boyspecial-boy
Posted 17 years ago
Just heard back from the guy and he is just spewing a pile of crap:

Hi,well it looks like a rhino to me,even as far as the bridge hardware.
I have looked at the neck join (not removed it of course) and it looks totally original to me,obviuosly its been refinished and the bass has been rounded off i think,I know its nothing to do with it really but the gig bag a Status shows it s age so if someone were going to con anyone the bag woudn't be so decrepid if you see what i mean.
They woudn't have used the bass if it wasn't,
I suppose i could remove the neck but i dont really want to.
neil

Short of spilling what Rob has said to him, if ebay aren't doing anything about it, I don't know what we can do. I am sorely tempted to write to the guy who seemed genuinely interested ( he put his email in there) and let him know, or at least point him to this thread.
special-boyspecial-boy
Posted 17 years ago
OK, I have written to the guy on ebay asking questions about it and pointed him to this thread. At least that way he'll know what he is getting into.
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator