Thread subject: STATII.COM: For all things Status-Graphite :: What should I do?

Posted by aarts on 30-05-2016 06:51

The be honest, I'm not completely satisfied with the color of my SII bass. It has a Bubinga top with a high gloss finish. I'm considering to sand it down completely and give it a matt finish It now looks like the picture below: home.solcon.nl/aart.saly/images/Status_SII/S2-1.jpg Hoping to make it like the one below: i51.photobucket.com/albums/f386/johngh/st61.jpg What do you guy think of this? Are there risks (btw: it will be carried out by a professional luthier) I've seen nice pics of matt bubinga and matt carbon. I appriciate all of your opinions

Posted by moo on 30-05-2016 11:33

Unless you ABSOLUTELY know what you're doing, do not attempt that on your own. You will ruin a beautiful bass. Personally I think it looks 1,000 times better full gloss but that's a personal opinion and has little relevance. It's a stunning old bass. You're going to struggle swapping it because you're limiting your options. I would suggest just selling it and finding something new that suits you!

Posted by Danny on 31-05-2016 00:57

I agree with MOO, get a professional or send it back to Status, or as advised...sell it and get a matt one! The gloss will go right round or is the idea to do sides and back too? Too risky IMHO.