Thread subject: STATII.COM: For all things Status-Graphite :: #71 is in Brazil.

Posted by stev1em on 02-06-2015 01:00

I used Moos' guide to cleaning up my old Series II(S/N 88)'s hardware and it came up as new. I used bits of wire to hang the hardware up to spray with the laquer-you can work around with the spray can easier than trying to hold it. Just make sure that the bits are perfectly clean and dry before spraying. I used finishing paper wetted with Brasso to take the old laquer off, then throughly washed and dried the parts. I left everything to dry out for a day and then did the spraying with very fine coats-I think I put about 3 or 4 on. Again this was done on the wire"hangers" so I didn't get any finger prints also you have to resist over spraying and give the laquer plenty of time to "go off".I am fortunate to have a room where I could do this and keep any one from "investigating"-parents will know what I mean! The whole process took about a week from start to finish (not 24/7, just a bit of time after work!) but the laquer is as hard as nails and looks great when reassembled. I was a little worried that the sound may be compromised with the new laquer but it didn't make any difference. My regret is that I didn't take some pictures of the process perhaps if you do it then maybe you will? i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt332/stev1em/010.jpg

Edited by stev1em on 02-06-2015 01:06