Thread subject: STATII.COM: For all things Status-Graphite :: Recording Equipment

Posted by taz154b on 05-02-2011 13:41

Ok, i have to put my two cents in here too, I am an old schooler, I have been behind the board as long as I have been screwing around on the bass. 37 years. I have had the pleasure of being behind some very vintage mixers and some classic outboard gear ( a lot of which I still have). I got to use a MCI JH636 back when it was new board and cost quite a bit. Yes the old equipment is more organic and friendly to produce music on, I found that the process of digital ( I worked in a DA88 32 track studio coupled to a sadie system for 12 years) and found mixing not to be as much fun. On the other hand calibrating a JH24 analog tape deck each time a new batch of ampex tape came in to be a pain in the butt. An old analog desk into good converters in a daw is the best of both worlds. Use the daw as a "tape deck. if you dont mind the converesion back and forth into the analog realm you retain the benefit of the editing abilities of the DAW . razor blade editing sucks and is totally unforgiving. Some day sampling rates and bit depth will catch up to what we want to hear and hopefully people will wake up and discover how terrible MP3s are and how they mutilate the hard work of the recording engineer.( I can dream) Now I will step down off of my soapbox