Thread subject: STATII.COM: For all things Status-Graphite :: S-2 preamp settings

Posted by HotTubesGrooves on 03-04-2007 22:19

Just curious, what settings do you tend to use on your S-2(s)? The variable mid gives a lot of possibilities. For my rock band I tend to find myself leaving it with a slight treble and bass boost, and the mid fully anticlockwise, boosted (boosting the high mids). So, what settings do you use and for what kind of music do you use them?

Posted by Misterpink on 03-04-2007 22:36

I usually have three settings for mine - 1 - Bass Full, Mid Full, Treble Full (instant MK) with mid switch cut. 2 - Bass Ctr, Mid 2 O'clock, Treble 4 O'clock, mid switch cut (fingerstyle with pronounced mids/highs) 3 - Bass 2 O'clock, Mids 1 O'clock, Treble Ctr, Mid Switch cut (soft fingerstyle)

Posted by HotTubesGrooves on 03-04-2007 22:53

When you say mids 1 O'clock etc, do you mean from the centre? Mine doesn't have a centre detent on the mid pot Smile

Posted by Misterpink on 03-04-2007 23:09

Ahh..... yes from ctr dent

Posted by Steve on 04-04-2007 01:25

Defined jazzy - Treble full, mids flat, bass slightly boosted. Relaxed jazzy - Treble about half between ctr and full, mids cut, bass slightly boosted.

Posted by Stubacca on 04-04-2007 08:55

I tend to run mine flat across the board for general fingerstyle. I boost the treble for a bit of extra punch, and always boost the bass to around 75% when using the bridge pickup. For an ultra-funky 70s groove, I use the neck pickup with the treble boosted a little, set the mids to around 75% and on boost, and leave the bass flat. Cuts through anything. Cool Incredibly versatile preamp, isn't it? A year or so ago, I nearly bought back an old Energy 5 that I sold to my brother a few years earlier, but was put off by the fact that I knew I'd have to get Rob to fit me an S2-style preamp in it, thus removing any bargain factor!

Posted by richleemusic on 04-04-2007 12:56

Stu I remember that bass well - my first experience of status basses. As one of your college buddies described - sex on a stick! Was a beat as I recall. Isnt it funny how your early reaction to an instrument goes on to define your preference later on in life. Great action and sound, played lovely, nicely balanced. Did a fair few tours of the country as I seem to remember too? Rich (Stu's other brother)

Posted by eldad on 05-04-2007 05:59

So what is the best setting for slap ( not thin and ballsless like the current MK sound) that will cut through a mix like a knife but still will be felt in the audience's stomach????????