Putting Status electronics in a non-Status bass?

Last updated on 17 years ago
Posted 17 years ago
Anyone ever done it? I'm thinking of getting a Status pickup and preamp to go in my Fender Precision, which doesn't really get used much at the moment. I really like the electronics in my Stealth (obviously!) and I'm looking to get some of that same clarity, articulation and clean headroom in my Precision.

What do you all think?
statusstatus
Fusioneer
Posted 17 years ago
They do a pre-amp with a flexible layout that would probably be your best bet. They are excellent pre-amps. If your pre-amp is for a single pickup though would you get the best out of it?

I know I'll get shot for saying it but if it is a one pickup bass the Seymour Duncan MM one may be better for you! :o Available for sensible money from www.basspartsresource.com
Edited by status on 28-12-2006 10:15, 17 years ago
Posted 17 years ago
Well the other option that's been suggested to me is one of the East UK BTB 01, which looks quite small and would leave more room to fit a battery inside the not-exactly-cavernous control cavity of my bass (and I think is specifically meant for one-pickup-basses). The MM one looks quite big and elaborate and I'm not sure I could get it and a battery to fit without routing, which is not really something I'm that keen on doing (not out of any sense of sentimentality, but simply because I just can't be bothered) :)
Edited by MasterValleyUh on 28-12-2006 10:54, 17 years ago
statusstatus
Fusioneer
Posted 17 years ago
Some of the East kit is excellent. Maybe that would be your best option. They do tend to be a bit more expensive though so be warned.
senmensenmen
Posted 17 years ago
Dear All,
I think it is no problem. I have a custom made bass John Entwistle Spyder bass made by an english luthier, equipped with Kent Armstring pickups and a Status custom 301 board.
Oliver
E
eldad
Posted 17 years ago
MasterValleyUh, believe me, don't change anything!!!!!!!
Changing electronics in a VINTAGE bass meand drilling in the body of the bass.
The whole thing in a vintage bass in the originality of the sound and the overall shape.
Buy another bass... believe me, Fenders sound better when everything is 100% original - you can always ask the sound-man to give you an extra gain.
In my opinion Fenders are taboo, and that warm and uniqe sound is what the magic is all about.
I put an EMGs on my '78 Jazz Bass - and I wish I could turn back the time.
It had more output, more highs, more lows , more everything - BUT it was no longer a Jazz Bass.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses."
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator