S-2 5 string neck relief

Last updated on 17 years ago
statusstatus
Fusioneer
Posted 17 years ago
The action on my new S-2 5er is a little bit higher than the one I was used to on my Empathy. I think the truss rod needs a slight tweak to increase the neck relief a touch so I can drop the bridge saddles.

Could you more knowledgeable bunch confirm this is likely to have the desired effect. If not suggestions are welcome as to how I can go about lowering the action while keeping it beautifully playable.

Thanks.
Edited by status on 28-11-2006 10:56, 17 years ago
G-77G-77
Fusioneer
Posted 17 years ago
I would wait until you have restrung it, then mess with the set up.

T.
KingBass Prototype 4, MooWood KingBass, Streamline
SteveSteve
Fusioneer
Posted 17 years ago
Or set up EADG as normal and put a high C on ;)
Status S2 5 String Fretless 'Moo-wood'
Status S1000 rebuild
Fender Strat - Fretted
Shadow Superstrat Guitar - Fretless
Ibanez RG Electric of some sort
Avalon As-101CE Electro-Acoustic Guitar

I've owned 5 Statii so far, with 2 at present....
statusstatus
Fusioneer
Posted 17 years ago
John,

That's a great help. Having checked it the neck relief is pretty much spot on. I'll check the saddle heights against your settings when I get home tonight.

Once I have my Elixirs on it I'll probably feel right at home again. B)

Chris.
Status5Status5
Posted 17 years ago
Errrrr...... does it have an adjustable truss rod?
B)
Status5Status5
Posted 17 years ago
Oppps, just had a look at the pictures, and yes, it does look like you have one!!
B)
statusstatus
Fusioneer
Posted 17 years ago

Status5 wrote:
Errrrr...... does it have an adjustable truss rod?
B)

I did check that bit out before asking! ;)
statusstatus
Fusioneer
Posted 17 years ago

FunkyBassMan wrote:

status wrote:
The action on my new S-2 5er is a little bit higher than the one I was used to on my Empathy. I think the truss rod needs a slight tweak to increase the neck relief a touch so I can drop the bridge saddles.

Could you more knowledgeable bunch confirm this is likely to have the desired effect. If not suggestions are welcome as to how I can go about lowering the action while keeping it beautifully playable.

Please could you also let me know what clearance you have on the B string at the 6th fret and the 24th fret when you have the string fretted at the 12th fret. Sorry if that is longwinded.

Thanks.

Hi status,

First off you have to check the amount of relief the neck has. You'll want a small amount of forward bow to increase playability. If you have a capo, set it up on for the first fret. If not, you'll have to get a second set of hands to fret the B string at the fisrt fret. Now fret the string at the 24th fret. The gap between the string and the 10th fret should be around 0.5mm. If it's too high you will have to adjust the truss-rod to decrease the forward bow. If it's too low, you'll have to adjust the truss-rod to increase the forward bow. Truss-rod adustment also varies depending on when your bass was made.

Once the neck relief has been set you can set the string height with the saddles. This is usually a personal preference based on playing style. I have mine set fairly low on my Stealth 5. B to G string is 4.5, 4.0, 3.5, 3.0, 2.5mm above the 24th fret.

Just had a measure and clearance above the B string is about 2.5 mm. Is that a bit low and would it cause a bit of string rattle or is that my poor technique? Most of the other strings have a similar clearance except the G string which is about 2mm. No rattle at all from the A, D and G strings.

Hope this doesn't sound make me sound too simple! :(
Status5Status5
Posted 17 years ago
Its worth remembering not to pick/hit the low B too/as hard as its not as taut as the other strings.
M
B)
statusstatus
Fusioneer
Posted 17 years ago
I gave the B and E strings an extra 0.5mm clearance and it is now playing as sweet as a nut! B)

Don't know why I didn't switch to 5 stings earlier, I'm loving it! :D
Status5Status5
Posted 17 years ago
Damn! and I was getting ready to offer to take it of your hands! :p
Really pleased that your getting on well with it and welcome to the 'headed fivers' club! :D
Mark
B)B)
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator