Long time owner, sad times

Last updated on 1 year ago
S
shahid
Posted 4 years ago
[img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/l29z8fraar23kb5/status-series-ii-5-string-fretted-008.jpeg?dl=0[/img]
I am the proud owner of a Series II 5-string headless, circa 1986/7, serial number 008, red flamed maple with carbon graphite through neck. I have owned this bass for over three decades and through good times and not so good times, was never tempted to sell it. Until now. Over the years, the bass seems only to have become more beautiful. It lasted longer than my first marriage, it's older than my grown up children and it is simply the most beautiful thing I have ever owned.

On the Status site, Rob writes that selling the original S2 is the biggest regret of a bass player, or so he hears and I can believe it. I noticed that the remakes (only 14!) were going for close to £6K. When I last met Rob about 15 years ago or so, he mentioned that my model was in serious demand.

That said, I am now facing persistent hand issues and can no longer fret any instrument. These issues, due to Type 1 diabetes are unlikely to go away. In my experience, when something goes unused, it finds a way out of your life on your terms, or its own terms.

So I'm now thinking about selling it, so that someone who loves these incomparably beautiful instruments can benefit from a model that is probably among the greatest instruments ever made. I've no idea what I can expect to get for it, but I'd love to get some kind of indication of how much I could expect for my beloved 008.

(With apologies for not being able to work out how to get the image link at the top to work!)

My name's Shahid by the way, and I'm a long time video game developer who had a few interludes into music.
JeroenJeroen
Posted 4 years ago
Welcome, despite the sad reason for your membership.

As for your picture, I can't get it to load either. I thought removing everything behind "jpeg" in the URL might work, but it didn't! It loads fine if I just copy the link to the address bar though. Beautiful bass indeed!
Lefty

S2 Classic 5-string headless, black sparkle
S2 Classic 4-string headless, pure white, Roman numeral inlays
E
ejnarDK
Posted 4 years ago
Welcome from me too.

Mint condition, original hardcase and paperwork, no shipping/pickup and test possible, the right buyer, generous wife in christmas mood, snow slowly falling outside the windows....

The longer away you move from the above conditions the lower the price.
I'm far from an expert, but this is based on my own sale of a similar bass this august with a mid 70 serial number.

I would estimate that it could fetch you up arround 2800-3000 euro. Perhaps you'll have to wait for the right buyer. Like with a lot of fine art, demand varies.

/DK
Previous owner of a Series II 5 string. 24-5-89
moomoo
Fusioneer
Posted 4 years ago
https://www.dropbox.com/s/l29z8fraar2....jpeg?dl=0

There it is ‘clickable’

Very sad you have to sell your beautiful bass.

More sad news is that, although in my (and many others here) opinion these basses are superb in every way and should carry a high second hand ticket price, they just don’t fetch that much money. I have 2 5 strings... one series II and one Empathy. I paid £1,200 & £950 for them. They are both in immaculate condition. I think you will be very hard pushed to find that €3,000 price tag.

Having said that, these basses are less and less frequently seen on the market. So you might get lucky!

I wish you all the best with your sale and hopefully someone comes along who is looking for exactly that and is willing to pay What the bass is worth!

Moo
Strata #05 - Status Series II #94 - Status Series II #147 - Status Series II #230 - Status Series II #487 - Status Series II 5 string #58 - Status Series 2000 #106 - Status Series 2000 #327 (FPPR) - Status Empathy #2009 ’93 - Status Empathy 5 string '95 - Status King Bass '06 moo wood - Status King Bass '07 moo wood fretless - Alembic MK Sig Deluxe '88 - Alembic Inside Out Brown Bass ’11 - JayDee Series I 'Starchild' '08 - JayDee Series I Cherry Red ’19 - Sei Bass Flamboyant - Sei Bass Flamboyant Offset - Ibanez SR2600 ’18 - Ibanez SRMS 805 ’19 - Ibanez SR1405 ’19 - Vigier Passion Series I #623 '88 - Vigier Arpege Series II #249 '84 - Vigier Arpege Series III #088 '86 - Shuker Custom Series 2 ‘08 - Warwick Thumb 4 TN '89
Edited by moo on 26-11-2019 20:14, 4 years ago
M
molan
Posted 4 years ago
I bought a custom finish 80’s S2 this year that’s in immaculate condition and with a genuine ‘one of a kind’ paint job.

It cost me under £1,500 and it had been up for sale for quite a while (at higher prices) but simply wasn’t selling
S
shahid
Posted 4 years ago
Thanks for your feedback everyone. I think if that's the case then I'll probably hold on to it until I get lucky!
S
shahid
Posted 1 year ago
I know it’s been three years, but I popped back in to say I made it through this difficult period (very, very difficult!) and thankfully I still have my beloved bass.

I’m sorry to read about Rob’s health. I hope he is able to make a full recovery.

Can anyone advise on how I could go about getting my bass a thorough service?

The carbon graphic neck has some dents, the frets need dressing and the active circuit and pots need attention. Would this have to be done by Rob and team or would any luthier be able to restore? I’m just worried that if parts need replacing that they be originals, particularly in the active circuit.
D
Danish
Posted 1 year ago
Happy to hear you are better and still have your beloved bass.

As far as I know, Rob is no longer taking on any new work, but he might make an exception. You never know. It's worth giving them a call and ask.

I would be careful with other luthiers. Phenolic fretboards and graphite necks are not like wood Wink

In the unlikely event that you some day would think of selling again, please send me a PM. I would give it a good home.

Until then, play it in good health!
W
whitewater
Posted 1 year ago
First, concrats @shahid for your recovery, you did everything the right way.

I understood, that Rob might still care about established customer relationships, despite not entering new ones. That said, I'd give it a try and politely ask for his advice. IMHO any luthier should be able to do a fret dressing (I'm gonna give a "Plek Service" a chance next time, which is a computernumerical and laserscan based procedure, which takes the curve under string tension vs. no string tension into account, but this is definitively not necessary). A refret might need some experience with the ebonol fretboard, but again no witchcraft imho. For the pots/electronics, again, every able guitar tech should be able to take care about the pots, and I'm afraid, nearly everyone (incl. Rob) will suggest to discard and replace the old board if there is more to do then replacing pots or switches.
I would not do anything about dents in the Gelcoat of the carbon neck. If this is really your hearts desire, I'd ask at least for Robs advice forn a compatible resin.
Baseline, either Rob might offer some help himself or recommend someone to you who knows about this stuff. Always worth a try.

I won't cue up after @Danish, assuming this beauty should have a 15mm Stringspacing (or 60mm overall) at the bridge, which is not my cup of tea, still wishing you many more years of good health and fun playing it.
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator