Flatwounds

Last updated on 5 years ago
Garbo28Garbo28
Posted 5 years ago
Hi One and all. Two questions:

1) Has anyone tried flatwounds on a Kingbass? Just wondered what it would sound like. I am not a great slapper (don't listen to the rumours :) ), I don't have a lot of call for it in my current band, but I wondered what it would sound like? Anyone's experiences would be appreciated.

2) What are the Status flatwounds like? Does anyone on here use them? How do they compare with for example, Rotosounds, or LaBellas for example? I know they all have their different tones etc. Again any experiences would be appreciated.
B
bassbus
Fusioneer
Posted 5 years ago
The closest I can get to that is my S3 fretted strung with TI Jazz Flats.

[movie=youtube]RDqM4HaDwos[/movie]

I have used the Status flats in the past and to be frank they were like stair rods. Not my cup of tea but some people would like them I'm sure.

I use LaBella 760FS flats on an Overwater fretless and they are fantastic. I have TI Jazz Flats on my S2 fretless at the moment which sound and feel sublime.
Garbo28Garbo28
Posted 5 years ago

bassbus wrote:
The closest I can get to that is my S3 fretted strung with TI Jazz Flats.

Thanks Bassbus, this is definitely food for thought, your S3 sounds meaty. I may give the TIs a go, they make them in a similar gauge to what I already use.

The reason for all this is that I bought a Hofner Ignition Violin Bass a little while ago for messing around on and recently fitted LaBella Flatwounds to it, and could not get over how good it sounded and played. So was interested in what they might do for my Kingbass (though the Kingbass is in regular gigging use, so didn't want to buy a pricey set of strings and mess about with it with gigs looming)
Sonic GrooveSonic Groove
Posted 5 years ago
Its not easy finding double ball flats at the moment & flats don't like to be clamped in the DB Allen slots.

But I tried La Bella DTs bolted in & they sounded great. But then started to slip on allen bolts and go out of tune.

I feel the same as BassBus on the Status full flats they were a bit stiff & not a patch on La Bella DT, but the Half Wound Status were great!!! Got a set of Status Half DBs on My Kingbass at the moment, But they don't make them any more :-(

B
Edited by Sonic Groove on 10-06-2019 04:35, 5 years ago
Garbo28Garbo28
Posted 5 years ago

Sonic Groove wrote:
Its not easy finding double ball flats at the moment & flats don't like to be clamped in the DB Allen slots.

But I tried La Bella DTs bolted in & they sounded great. But then started to slip on allen bolts and go out of tune.

I feel the same as BassBus on the Status full flats they were a bit stiff & not a patch on La Bella DT, but the Half Wound Status were great!!! Got a set of Status Half DBs on My Kingbass at the moment, But they don't make them any more :-(

B

Thanks for the heads up SG about clamping the strings. I have found as well that Flat wound DBE strings are difficult to obtain and dramatically reduces the selection. For the time being I have stuck with my round wounds on the KB, but I may try the TIs out on my JD as it sees less active use at the moment. Either that or I persuade the missus that I really need another bass........ :)
rogertvrrogertvr
Posted 5 years ago
You could always approach this lot and ask what they can do for you...

https://newtonestrings.com/

I've got a few sets of strings of various types (all roundwound I must add) fitted to various basses (Status and non-Status) and I've been very impressed with the strings.
Garbo28Garbo28
Posted 5 years ago

rogertvr wrote:
You could always approach this lot and ask what they can do for you...

https://newtonestrings.com/

I've got a few sets of strings of various types (all roundwound I must add) fitted to various basses (Status and non-Status) and I've been very impressed with the strings.

Hi Roger, I have used Newtone in the past, I too had some roundwounds from them when I was playing about with string options on the KB. Friendly bunch and beautifully made strings, but I just couldn't get the tone I was looking for. I have to admit I hadn't thought about them as a potential flatwound supplier. I will take a look at their website and see what they have to offer. Many thanks
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator