Popular Bass models

Last updated on 6 years ago
J
Jezzy B
Posted 6 years ago
Yo waddup,

So I’m just a regular musician that’s interested in a status but has absolutely no idea what the main differences are between the different models. I am astonished by the amount of people that do, as I find it IMPOSSIBLE to get a good idea even with hours of internet research… I'd be very grateful if anyone could tell me what models most people go for and what their main differences are (ex: King bass and T-bass) !!

To help you help me Smile here are 3 bassists who’s tones I am particularly fond of:

- Stuart Zender and Paul Turner from Jamiroquai (warm and funky tone)
- Flea from Red Hot Chilli Peppers (more bright and aggressive funky tone)
- Mark King’s tone for slap bass

PS: while I'm not very good with technical terms, I will still appreciate long or detailed comparisons/explanations! This is a massive investment for me as a student, hence any help I can get would be sick!

Useless info abou me:
-20 years old
-Belgian
-native French speaker
-Studying physics abroad in England
- In a juicy band
pmpm
Posted 6 years ago
Hi Jezzy B,

some hints from me:

- find someone with a Status bass and ask her/him if you can test the bass
- directly after you had played the Status you are in love
- Status basses with a graphite neck has an own sound but are very flexible in terms of different sounds
- If you like Mark Kings slap bass tone it will be hard to find a bass that fits better (ok...Alem...)
- you have to tune a Status bass with graphite neck only if you use new strings.
- headed or headless....it´s your choice
- in my opinion the wood of a neck through graphite Status isn´t so important in terms of sound (perhaps I´m wrong)
- a Status grahite is more bright ...(not "warm" as Jamiroquai sounds)
- you can get a "Flea" sound but the Status can be much brighter and aggressive if you like

And the most important hint:

- never buy a bass before you have played it and smiled
Status S2 classic-neck through 4-string headless
Fame MM400
Trace Elliot AH400SM; 1048; 1518
B
Bassfan
Posted 6 years ago
Hi Jezzy,

I was also in your position today, not knowing a great deal other than listening to people who own and play status basses.

To accurately replicate anyone’s “sound” then you’d need to accurately replicate their amps, cabs, pedals, strings as well as their bass. Every artist you mentioned above plays a different style and type of bass, Status’s, Warwick’s, fenders, modulus, Stenback, 4 strings and 5 strings basses.

I was fortunate enough to play a status today and would echo what pm says above, try before you buy ( I appreciate that’s not always possible) I can confidently say that the Status is a truly versatile instrument with a huge variation in sounds it can produce. Even more so with their parametric system. Personally I thought I wanted a series 3, but I’m a jazz bass player normally and found the s2 was a better fit for me, the T bass is even closer to a jazz body shape. The king bass is a wider body again it’s really down to personal choice.

There’s lots more guys and gals on here with more status experience than me but I thought I’d offer my opinion :)
Edited by Bassfan on 24-09-2018 07:12, 6 years ago
pmpm
Posted 6 years ago
I agree with bassfan but like to add one comment

"To accurately replicate anyone’s “sound” then you’d need to accurately replicate"

her/his way to play.

In my opinion the equipment is only the top of the iceberg...
Status S2 classic-neck through 4-string headless
Fame MM400
Trace Elliot AH400SM; 1048; 1518
B
Bassfan
Posted 6 years ago
Absolutely PM, I couldn’t agree more.

Finding your own tone that you are happy with is also important! :)
J
Jezzy B
Posted 6 years ago
Thanks alot guys. The problem is that they've asked me to specify what models I want to try out at their shop in Colchester (I plan to visit them to try them out).

I have absolutely no idea if I should mention an s2, a T-bass, a King bass ect.. I was wondering what models are most popular because otherwise I would have to answer randomly.
B
Bassfan
Posted 6 years ago
I’ve just had the good fortune to visit Status this week in almost the same position as you.

I don’t think that any model is more popular than another, it’s what suits you and your playing style.

I’m sure that if you say you really don’t know which model you want then you could see the the majority of their styles. In a broad sense the T bass is very Jazz like in shape, the king bass is quite a wide body (but thin) the S3 and S2 are similar shapes ( personally after trying the s2 was for me as it has a chamfered top) .

I’m sure you’ll find your “one”. What do you normally play? Are you looking for a complete change?
B
bassbus
Fusioneer
Posted 6 years ago
It's all been said above. There's no point in going for a bass that most people go for as that might not be the one for you. Mark King has played them all, Series II, S2000, Kingbass, MK I and II and now his Jazz inspired PJ setup. What body shape do you like? Most of the necks will feel pretty similar. Body shapes will be a personal choice. I've always selected the 300 EQ, paramatrix is just too complicated for me. I also like a darker tone so the soap bar pickups suit me fine.
J
Jezzy B
Posted 6 years ago
Thanks again guys. I currently still have my first ever bass, a yamaha trbx504. I don't even know what type of bass it is ^^ I guess I'll just ask them if I can try an s2/3 a King and a T-bass :)
G
ghostwood
Posted 6 years ago
Hi Jezzy B
Just been reading your discussion with bassbus and Bassfan. I'm no 'expert' but I echo everything they've said with one, I think important, addition....
We all agree that you can't beat a Status in terms of build quality and flexibility, and most models can produce a decent emulation of most 'sounds' depending on your playing style, the type of strings, amp, etc.

However, if you're going to invest the sort of money needed to buy a Status then personally I think you also need to love it when you look at it so you want to pick it up and play it.

For me a good bass is as much a work of art than an instrument. it can be the most high quality, technically perfect bass in the world but if you don't like the look and feel of it you won't have that need to pick it up and play it, and thats a very personal thing. For some people its a classic precision, for me its a Status S2

Over the years I have been lucky enough to collect some classic basses... An early Warwick, 60's Jazz bass, Stingray, Aria SB, but its my 2 Statii that 'call to me' to play them.
So much so that the Aria and Stingray have been sold in favour of a third Status that's due from Rob and Dawn in the next few days (fingers crossed!) #Excited! :D
Ghost
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.