s2 classic vs. s3

Last updated on 6 years ago
lophloph
Posted 6 years ago
Hi!

After quite a while beeing idle in this forum and happily playing my Status S2-Classic, I'm starting to think about purchasing a new bass.

Somehow, though I thought such a thing should be easy searching the web or searching the forum, I really wasn't able to find sufficient information about the "new" Series-3.

So my question to you guys is:
What's the big difference between the S2 and the S3, regarding tone, playability, weight etc.?

Would you recommend ordering a S3 over a S2?

Regards
loph
B
bassbus
Fusioneer
Posted 6 years ago
Tone, playability and weight are actually much the same if you go with the same options you have on your S2. You could always put Paramatrix electronics in it to add some variation to the tone, or even the CW electronics. The necks on my S2 4 and S3 five are the best, most comfortable necks I have ever played. They even beat my Overwater and that is a very fine bass.

The main difference is the body. Front edges are quite sharp. No 'rounded' edges and contouring as you have on the S2. Doesn't bother me a jot but might not feel right to some players. At the end of the day, it's a Status. Supreme quality and design. But then, you know that already.
B
bassbus
Fusioneer
Posted 6 years ago
[movie=youtube]RDqM4HaDwos[/movie]
lophloph
Posted 6 years ago
aaw! Thank you very much! That was really helpful (and a really, really nice looking bass in the video)! :)

To me the sound of video was quite odd: So familiar, yet different...
Although, there're still quite some 'unknown influences to the sound' in the video (strings, sound of "your fingers" ...), I really think, I could make out a difference to my S2:

Your S3 seemed to have a little bit more definition or "punch" in mid-frequencies while still sounding transparent and not overding it (therefore without "an ugly nose" in the mids, like my old Status Energy has).

May I ask what kind of wood did you choose for the body? Looks like Mahogany or Walnut

Hmm ... maybe the S3 is indeed worth the extra cost ... *scratching head* ... ;)
Edited by loph on 09-03-2018 01:05, 6 years ago
B
bassbus
Fusioneer
Posted 6 years ago
Body wood is Mahogany. The difference in tone might come from the bridge pickup being moved further away from the bridge. That was a custom option which was a bit of a gamble that paid off big time. It gave me exactly the tone I was looking for.
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.