Regular vs. Chris W. pickup spacing?

Last updated on 6 years ago
Z
zn_bassman
Posted 6 years ago
Hi all,

Can any of you describe in detail the difference in tone between the standard and Chris W. pickup positions? I'm considering a new build, and I would like a full, open, and beefy tone which also has warmth, bite, and growl. Does the Chris W. configuration provide all of that, or does it sacrifice a lot of bite and growl in favor of warmth?

I'm referring specifically to the Streamline model, so keep in mind the lack of an onboard midrange boost/sweep. I can add that on the floor, but I like to have as much of my tone as possible produced by the instrument and onboard preamp.

I'm particularly interested in having a thick and non-Jaco tone in the bridge pickup. I would most likely go with 2 soapbars.
Member of Rockiah and Blackout.
- Status Graphite Buzzard-2 (2002)
- Status Graphite Eclipse (1997)
- MarkBass head, Ashdown cab
- Pedals by Source Audio, T-Rex, TC Electronic, Boss, and more
Garbo28Garbo28
Posted 6 years ago

zn_bassman wrote:
Hi all,

Can any of you describe in detail the difference in tone between the standard and Chris W. pickup positions? I'm considering a new build, and I would like a full, open, and beefy tone which also has warmth, bite, and growl. Does the Chris W. configuration provide all of that, or does it sacrifice a lot of bite and growl in favor of warmth?

I'm referring specifically to the Streamline model, so keep in mind the lack of an onboard midrange boost/sweep. I can add that on the floor, but I like to have as much of my tone as possible produced by the instrument and onboard preamp.

I'm particularly interested in having a thick and non-Jaco tone in the bridge pickup. I would most likely go with 2 soapbars.

I have seen that you have posted your question twice now. They are a good bunch on this site and I would hate to believe that you would think that anyone is ignoring you. However I would guess that the majority on the site may not be able to answer your very specific questions, let alone have both of these models to hand to provide you with a comparison.

I would suggest just speaking to Rob and Dawn at Status as they build the basses and would know why Chris specified the pickup positions he has on his model and what the sonic differences might be. They are lovely people and are quick to respond to genuine enquiries, though do remember they are a family business and with everyone at this time of year might be a little busy, so don't be too frustrated if there is a little delay in the response.

Good luck :)
rogertvrrogertvr
Posted 6 years ago
I've never played a Chris W. bass but looking at those pickup positions and after hearing Muse, I would imagine one of those basses is a lot like having a warm tone with your face kicked-in.
Z
zn_bassman
Posted 6 years ago
Garbo28, no worries! :)
I just wanted to make sure this question in particular didn't get overlooked, since it was one of several in my other post.
Yes, the gents and gals of Statii are indeed a great bunch and they are quite helpful - that's why I'm looking for feedback from the field, which I've found is an invaluable resource when considering custom builds. I'll consult with Rob when the time's ripe.
A great day to all!
Z
zn_bassman
Posted 6 years ago
rogertvr, that's my impression from afar too. Hoping an owner can confirm it and offer deeper insight.
Best wishes to you and yours, including your Buzzards! Haven't spoken in a while, hope all is well.
B
bassbus
Fusioneer
Posted 6 years ago
I've never played a CW configuration either but on my S3 I had the bridge pickup moved another 10mm away from the bridge. That has given me exactly the tone I was looking for from that bass. Tone sample in the link below. Details of everything are on the Soundcloud description.

https://soundcloud.com/bassbus/status...sound-test
Z
zn_bassman
Posted 6 years ago
Thanks, bassbus! Great sound you've got there. Effect of the 10mm shift duly noted.
Garbo28Garbo28
Posted 6 years ago

zn_bassman wrote:
I just wanted to make sure this question in particular didn't get overlooked, since it was one of several in my other post.
Yes, the gents and gals of Statii are indeed a great bunch and they are quite helpful - that's why I'm looking for feedback from the field, which I've found is an invaluable resource when considering custom builds. I'll consult with Rob when the time's ripe.
A great day to all!

Well it seems the site gurus have given you some valuable info, so good luck. Can't wait to see what you decide and work out with Rob. He has created some pretty gorgeous basses, Bassbus's is certainly one I envy :)
D
DrDAV
Posted 6 years ago
I had my last two builds done with CW spacing(Streamline and a Stealth). I like the spacing more for the types of music I play. I've found the rear pickup is more usable in the CW placement, for soloed sounds. I get a thicker tone that is more to my liking. The front pickup seems very similar to the stock location, tone wise.
Hope that helps. DAV
Z
zn_bassman
Posted 6 years ago

Garbo28 wrote:

zn_bassman wrote:
A great day to all!

Well it seems the site gurus have given you some valuable info, so good luck. Can't wait to see what you decide and work out with Rob. He has created some pretty gorgeous basses, Bassbus's is certainly one I envy :)

Thanks, Garbo28! Under consideration...
Z
zn_bassman
Posted 6 years ago

DrDAV wrote:
I had my last two builds done with CW spacing(Streamline and a Stealth). I like the spacing more for the types of music I play. I've found the rear pickup is more usable in the CW placement, for soloed sounds. I get a thicker tone that is more to my liking. The front pickup seems very similar to the stock location, tone wise.
Hope that helps. DAV

Thanks, DrDAV!

Which types of music do you play? I'm usually in the mainstream rock to light metal range, with occasional brief forays into reggae, funk, and jazz.

Do you have sound samples of your Streamline?
D
DrDAV
Posted 6 years ago
I play mostly different styles of rock, some country and contemporary worship.
I'm in the middle of moving so a lot of my gear is in storage. I'll look for some old recordings and try to post them to see if that can help you.
Z
zn_bassman
Posted 6 years ago
Great, I would love to hear them. Thank you for your efforts, and good luck with the move.
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.