Buying 35-55-85-100

Last updated on 6 years ago
I
Isle_matt
Posted 6 years ago
Can someone confirm that Mark King uses 35-55-85-100? In a previous thread, the writer claimed King "said" he used 35-55-75-100 [possible typo].

Then, where do we find this string set? Are status' own Hot Wires the only option? Is a string by string order practical?

Thanks from BC Canada

P.S. From bar 20 of this piece, one can (arguably) hear a resemblance to King's style: https://soundcloud.com/drumming-solutions/power-and-beauty
B
bassbus
Fusioneer
Posted 6 years ago
You should be able to order a custom set with those gauges on the Status site.
Garbo28Garbo28
Posted 6 years ago
Mark has also gone back to using Rotosounds and their website does not seem to mention these gauges either. When he first had the funkmaster strings from Rotosound, they made him a custom job lot and only put them into production when loads of influenced Bass players went looking for the same gauge strings.

They are a pleasant bunch at Rotosound, drop them a line. I am sure they will tell you what he uses and if you can get them
I
Isle_matt
Posted 6 years ago
Thanks to both member-replies.

I'm intrigued by the rotosounds, but will be ordering status hot wires quite soon as well
rogertvrrogertvr
Posted 6 years ago
I gave up on Rotosound strings decades ago.

I buy my strings now from http://www.newtonestrings.com/

Speak with Neil, he will make you whatever you want. I approached him when I couldn't get a set of strings for my 8-string Buzzard. I specified a custom set of 8 strings, roundwound, roundcore, platinum finish stainless strings and I haven't looked back and I now have Newtone strings on a lot of my basses. He will even make custom string lengths if you provide him with the overall string lengths for your bass - which saves cutting strings on non-headless basses. Just remember to calculate the amount of string you need to wind round the headstock into the overall length!

Any questions - PM please.
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.