Non Status Pickups

Last updated on 6 years ago
Posted 6 years ago
Hello everyone, I am new here.

I have decided that I will most likely order a status S2 classic this coming winter.

I have some question for anyone who has ordered a bass from Rob in the past. Even if you only have answers to one of the questions, answers will be greatly appreciated!

1. Has anyone ever asked Rob to use a non-status pup in their build? Has he typically been opposed to it?
Is he okay with it? I am just curious. The pups I am talking about are identical in dimension to the pups that Rob uses in his basses. 1.5 x 4.5 inches.

I have a pair of split-coil pups that would work better with this particular build and give the sound that I am looking for. It doesn't appear that Rob uses and split-coil design pups.

2. Does anyone have a status with original split-coil pups?

Off subject

3. Does anyone have any links to any audio or video of an S2 classic being played fingerstyle, flat EQ? Or any status bass with a wood body and graph neck being played fingerstyle, flat EQ? I have been looking for sound samples and they seem to be primarily slap, which I wouldn't be using this bass for. Or if they have been fingerstyle, they have been EQ'd quite a bit.

4. Is it possible to get a zero fret on a headed 6 string?

5. Is it just me, or do the 5 string status basses seem to have a warmer tone than the 6 strings and the 4 strings a warmer tone than the 5 string basses?

6. I your experience, what body wood combos gives the warmest tone?

7. Does Rob still do maple fingerboards?

Thanks guys!
B
bassbus
Fusioneer
Posted 6 years ago
Welcome on board. I'm going to be really unhelpful and say the best person to answer these questions is Mr. Green himself. He is very approachable and will give you a straight answer to anything asked.

Status do offer split pickup wiring, been done on basses before. You can specify split coil as a custom option. You could ask about the Tri-max pickups that go with the Paramatrix circuit. There are a number of split and combined options you can switch in with those pickups.

Warmth wise, you might want to consider a blot-on neck. Neck-throughs are regarded as having quite a sparkly tone but bolt-ons have a slightly warmer tone. I have gone with bolt-ons on both my builds never regretted it.

I have a 4 and 5 string and I don't notice any difference in warmth between them. The pre-amps are so good you can dial in or out any level of warmth you want. I have mahogany bodies on mine and find that very warm. Again Rob knows his woods so speak to him.

Do contact Rob or Dawn. They will help you with anything and they both know the instruments inside out. Dawn is so good she even manages to sort things out for those who don't speak English.
Posted 6 years ago
Thanks bassbus. The information was very helpful. I sent you a PM! Please check when you can. Thanks again!
D
DrDAV
Posted 6 years ago
Yes, Rob built me a Kingbass with Hammond Dark Star pickups.
He was very helpful in the whole process, he communicated directly with Fred Hammond on the string spacing to fit the bass. Over all I felt it was hardly any difference than a standard order.
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.