Flying with your bass

Last updated on 7 years ago
C
cecoulter
Posted 7 years ago
Dear all,
Just wondering if any of you have had to fly with your Status bass recently.
I know that the ideal situation is to carry it on board in a gig bag, but since that is not always guaranteed I want to hear from how you flew with your bass.

1.) Do you use the Hiscox hard shell case that come with every Status bass? Is that case strong enough for airline crew abuse?

2.) Do you use the Status flight case that Rob offers for sale through the website. It seems reasonably priced and very protective. I would definitely buy one of those if I was flying with my bass all time.... but it seems too much to purchase for just the occasional flight....

Thanks in advance!
-Chris
-Chris
2000 Status Eclipse Custom 5-String
2008 Status Smart Bass 5-String Fretless
1992 Status S-1 Bolt-on 5 String
1993 Yamaha TRB 5
1930's German Upright Bass
2012 NS Design CR4T Electric Upright Bass
moomoo
Fusioneer
Posted 7 years ago
Speak to the airline(s) involved.

I've flown quite a bit with basses. Normally a Hiscox case. It's plenty strong enough. Damage isn't the worry, it's them 'losing' it that always worried me.

Just make sure you're insured and you speak to the insurers before to check you're fully covered!
Strata #05 - Status Series II #94 - Status Series II #147 - Status Series II #230 - Status Series II #487 - Status Series II 5 string #58 - Status Series 2000 #106 - Status Series 2000 #327 (FPPR) - Status Empathy #2009 ’93 - Status Empathy 5 string '95 - Status King Bass '06 moo wood - Status King Bass '07 moo wood fretless - Alembic MK Sig Deluxe '88 - Alembic Inside Out Brown Bass ’11 - JayDee Series I 'Starchild' '08 - JayDee Series I Cherry Red ’19 - Sei Bass Flamboyant - Sei Bass Flamboyant Offset - Ibanez SR2600 ’18 - Ibanez SRMS 805 ’19 - Ibanez SR1405 ’19 - Vigier Passion Series I #623 '88 - Vigier Arpege Series II #249 '84 - Vigier Arpege Series III #088 '86 - Shuker Custom Series 2 ‘08 - Warwick Thumb 4 TN '89
DannyDanny
Fusioneer
Posted 7 years ago
I agree with Moo, the Hiscox type cases are fine, I wouldn't worry. The full flightcases are very good but only offer a bit more edge protection they take about the same impact damage. I have not flown with one but I had two seperate incidents with both type of cases. I had a another bands transit van give me a heart attack as they reveresed and drove over a case I had... accidently, the case only suffered minor damage and luckily the bass inside was fine...it wasn't my status:D The other full flight case was in a shipping container and got slight crush damage but no damage internally. Just keep away from a gig bag and you'll be fine!!
me4bassme4bass
Veteran Member
Posted 7 years ago
I've carried a bass in a gig bag many times.
The gate agent has never said a thing as I hand them my ticket.

It is important to be extremely friendly with the flight attendants, as you will need to ask them kindly to slip your bass into the first class closet, standing up next to the suit coats and all.

If you bring it in a hard case, they may say "no", and chuck it down to the cargo hold.
C
cecoulter
Posted 7 years ago
Thank you for the replies.
Your advice helps a lot.
I am going to purchase the Hiscox case directly from Status this week and fly with that from now on.
-Chris
2000 Status Eclipse Custom 5-String
2008 Status Smart Bass 5-String Fretless
1992 Status S-1 Bolt-on 5 String
1993 Yamaha TRB 5
1930's German Upright Bass
2012 NS Design CR4T Electric Upright Bass
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.