Mark King's strings

Last updated on 8 years ago
BlinddogBlinddog
Posted 8 years ago
I spoke to Mark last night after the Glasgow gig (which was exceptional - loved the new brass section). I asked him why he only used one bass in the set. He told me he's no longer going through strings as quickly as he's gone up a gauge.
It's no longer 30-50-70-90, he's now using 35-55-75-100 and says they're ripping his fingers to bits!
As he's been on 30-90 forever I thought it was interesting.
stenobassstenobass
Veteran Member
Posted 8 years ago
Interesting, thanks for the info!

Will go to Ravensburg in Germany to see them...
Garbo28Garbo28
Posted 8 years ago
That is weird as last year (I think) he said he had gone back to Rotosound and for double ball you could only get 40-60-75-95 or 40-65-80-105 unless you went for the Funkmaster strings which he always used to advertise. I know they used to make him a big batch (so if you're paying you can have what gauge you want I suppose), but why change gauge after all these years? Wonder if he is trying a new string manufacturer?
BlinddogBlinddog
Posted 8 years ago
He said it was simply that they stay bright for a bit longer - which is my experience.
Garbo28Garbo28
Posted 8 years ago
I use 40-60-80-100s on all my basses including the Kingbass as I have to play with a pick sometimes and if the gauge is too light its difficult to keep the rhythm tight; the way I pick anyway :)
moomoo
Fusioneer
Posted 8 years ago
It's probably because he's old now and he can't see the .30 string any more!
Strata #05 - Status Series II #94 - Status Series II #147 - Status Series II #230 - Status Series II #487 - Status Series II 5 string #58 - Status Series 2000 #106 - Status Series 2000 #327 (FPPR) - Status Empathy #2009 ’93 - Status Empathy 5 string '95 - Status King Bass '06 moo wood - Status King Bass '07 moo wood fretless - Alembic MK Sig Deluxe '88 - Alembic Inside Out Brown Bass ’11 - JayDee Series I 'Starchild' '08 - JayDee Series I Cherry Red ’19 - Sei Bass Flamboyant - Sei Bass Flamboyant Offset - Ibanez SR2600 ’18 - Ibanez SRMS 805 ’19 - Ibanez SR1405 ’19 - Vigier Passion Series I #623 '88 - Vigier Arpege Series II #249 '84 - Vigier Arpege Series III #088 '86 - Shuker Custom Series 2 ‘08 - Warwick Thumb 4 TN '89
Garbo28Garbo28
Posted 8 years ago

moo wrote:

Out of Sight Out of Mind Moo....... Boom Boom :)
moomoo
Fusioneer
Posted 8 years ago

Garbo28 wrote:

moo wrote:

haha

Well done that man!!

'Out of Sight, Out of Mind'

"I want Eyes!"

'Take a Look'

''Staring at the Sun'

'Eyes Waterfalling'

:D
Strata #05 - Status Series II #94 - Status Series II #147 - Status Series II #230 - Status Series II #487 - Status Series II 5 string #58 - Status Series 2000 #106 - Status Series 2000 #327 (FPPR) - Status Empathy #2009 ’93 - Status Empathy 5 string '95 - Status King Bass '06 moo wood - Status King Bass '07 moo wood fretless - Alembic MK Sig Deluxe '88 - Alembic Inside Out Brown Bass ’11 - JayDee Series I 'Starchild' '08 - JayDee Series I Cherry Red ’19 - Sei Bass Flamboyant - Sei Bass Flamboyant Offset - Ibanez SR2600 ’18 - Ibanez SRMS 805 ’19 - Ibanez SR1405 ’19 - Vigier Passion Series I #623 '88 - Vigier Arpege Series II #249 '84 - Vigier Arpege Series III #088 '86 - Shuker Custom Series 2 ‘08 - Warwick Thumb 4 TN '89
Garbo28Garbo28
Posted 8 years ago

moo wrote:

Garbo28 wrote:

moo wrote:

haha

Well done that man!!

"I want Eyes!"

'Take a Look'

''Staring at the Sun'

'Eyes Waterfalling'

You trumped me there Moo (and not the Donald sort). I always knew there was Something about you, It was Guaranteed that you would Weave your spell. Once again i am left in Silence and all I can say is Its Over Man :)
moomoo
Fusioneer
Posted 8 years ago

Garbo28 wrote:

moo wrote:

Garbo28 wrote:

moo wrote:

haha

Well done that man!!

"I want Eyes!"

'Take a Look'

''Staring at the Sun'

'Eyes Waterfalling'

You trumped me there Moo (and not the Donald sort). I always knew there was Something about you, It was Guaranteed that you would Weave your spell. Once again i am left in Silence and all I can say is Its Over Man :)

haha

Get out!!
Garbo28Garbo28
Posted 8 years ago

moo wrote:

Garbo28 wrote:

moo wrote:

Garbo28 wrote:

moo wrote:

haha

Well done that man!!

"I want Eyes!"

'Take a Look'

''Staring at the Sun'

'Eyes Waterfalling'

haha

Get out!!

I'll fetch my coat.... :)
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.