B-2 help

Last updated on 8 years ago
T
The-Ox
Posted 8 years ago
Hi!

i am really interested in buying a Status bass, naturally as a massive John Entwistle fan, I'd go for the B-2. However, a few people have mentioned buying a Stealth due to being all graphite unlike the B-2. What do you guys think? What encompasses his tone more? I realise he used a lot of effects in the 80s using Buzzards, but I also saw someone on here say a B-2 is more versatile than an Alembic!?

Some help and clarity would be most welcome!

Thanks

Taran
B
bassbus
Fusioneer
Posted 8 years ago
If I remember correctly the Stealth is not all graphite. It has a foam type filling with the graphite shell around it. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Here's a few threads to give you some inspiration.

http://www.statii.com/forum/forum/vie...ad_id=4682

http://www.statii.com/forum/forum/vie...ad_id=6041

http://www.statii.com/forum/forum/vie...ad_id=3754
T
The-Ox
Posted 8 years ago
thank you! It seems in those links that people have graphite body B-2s, they don't do them like that anymore right?

How does the B-2 compare to other Statuses? A series 3 isn't that much more expensive, is there a big jump in quality?
B
bassbus
Fusioneer
Posted 8 years ago
Rob and Co. can do just about anything you want, they are custom instruments. The S2 will have a wooden body with graphite skin. Likewise the graphite B2 will have had a skin of graphite applied to the face. Speak to Dawn at the factory and she will tell you what they can do. Or else email Rob.
T
The-Ox
Posted 8 years ago
thanks! I'm still trying to wade through all the info on Status basses

Could you help explain the difference between the Paramatrix EQ and the B-2 EQ?
B
bassbus
Fusioneer
Posted 8 years ago
One is complicated. The other isn't. :D

I think someone explained the B2 EQ on Basschat. The Paramatrix has all sorts of coil tap options on the Tri-max pickups, bass and treble controls then high and low mid freq selection and cut/boost controls as well. Click on the picture of the Paramatrix bass on its page on the web site and it has the knobs clearly labeled. That picture also shows a close up of the graphite facing and faux binding.
T
The-Ox
Posted 8 years ago
thanks! I guess the best way is to go and try them if I can!
Alan FourstringsAlan Fourstrings
Posted 8 years ago

If I remember correctly the Stealth is not all graphite. It has a foam type filling with the graphite shell around it. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

The Stealth, as the original Buzzard 1 are all graphite, one mould for the entire bass. Inside there is some kind of hard foam. So the whole bass reacts like a semi-hollow body instrument. That mostly made the enormous sound of Entwistle's B1. You may be able to reproduce John's sound with a Stealth, but you still need the preamp and the mid EQ of the B1. I own a B1 and a S3 with Paramatrix eq / Trimax pickups - the S3 has lots of unique sounds, but not Entwistle's sound (DVD: Royal Albert Hall, 2000)
T
The-Ox
Posted 8 years ago
wow! The Paramatrix on an S3 certainly seems cool

What sounds can a B-2 get? How wide ranging is it? What tones of his career do you think it can achieve, anything other than the 80s effects laden one?
LucLuc
Posted 8 years ago

Alan Fourstrings wrote:

The Stealth, as the original Buzzard 1 are all graphite, one mould for the entire bass. Inside there is some kind of hard foam. So the whole bass reacts like a semi-hollow body instrument. That mostly made the enormous sound of Entwistle's B1. You may be able to reproduce John's sound with a Stealth, but you still need the preamp and the mid EQ of the B1. I own a B1 and a S3 with Paramatrix eq / Trimax pickups - the S3 has lots of unique sounds, but not Entwistle's sound (DVD: Royal Albert Hall, 2000)

That's the reason why I'm waiting my Stealth/B1 !
T
The-Ox
Posted 8 years ago

Luc wrote:

Alan Fourstrings wrote:

That's the reason why I'm waiting my Stealth/B1 !

so have you ordered a sort of hybrid of the B1 and the Steath?
LucLuc
Posted 8 years ago
yes, 5 strings, B1 electronics
I should have it this month :)
T
The-Ox
Posted 8 years ago
nice! What body shape is it? How do the B1 electronics differ to a B2?

Sorry for all the easy questions, I'm new to Status basses!
LucLuc
Posted 8 years ago
all in carbon, yes B2=B1 electrincs
np :)
T
The-Ox
Posted 8 years ago
sounds amazing!
pmarazitipmaraziti
Posted 8 years ago
would love to see it when in your hands! nice choice.

Status KingBass Paramatrix
LucLuc
Posted 8 years ago
me too :) maybe next week
W
Wingtip88
Posted 8 years ago
Hey folks - I myself am very interested in ordering a B2 bass, but I had a question for those of you who have played on - how prone are these things to neck dive? The neck looks absolutely huge thanks to the 26 fret layout.
S
StealthDJ
Posted 8 years ago
I have a Buzzard 2 (pre-lawsuit). The neck looks huge, but it's still actually only a 34" scale (I had to get a tape measure out before I'd believe it). The differences are largely in the bridge being quite far inset from the back of the bass, the not-exactly-small head and the top 'horn' only projecting as far forward as the 17th fret, compared to most other basses that seem to project as far as the 15th. This has the overall effect of pushing the head what feels like miles away - obviously the way that John liked it, given his playing style.

It does make the neck dive (though I've played worse) - I get round this largely by having quite a grippy strap and also having the thing slung somewhere round my knees :) It also means the supplied flight case is *mahoosive* - mine only just fits across the back seats of a Saab 9-5 and definitely won't go in the boot.

For all that though, I love it - it's the most amazing looking and sounding bass I've ever played and I fully intend to take it to the grave. I've got an S3 on order, specced to sound as close to the B2 as possible just because I'm starting to get paranoid about the road wear it's picking up and that it's now effectively irreplaceable.
W
Wingtip88
Posted 8 years ago
Thanks for the info! Got any photos?

Got two other questions if I could trouble you - first, how long is the flight case, exactly? Second question - how long is the B-2 from the end of the headstock to the back strap button?
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.