pickups

Last updated on 8 years ago
S
steve-bbb
Posted 8 years ago
i have an energy bolt on neck twin J pups - serial number 844 - the pups are passive with with two wires from each black/white iirc

i recently picked up a spare pair of status J pups from the basschat sale forum - these have a third red wire - believe these were the 'hyperactive' version of the same pup hopefully someone will correct me soon :)

question- is there any functional/tonal difference between the two different pups?

if so how would the third red wire connect up to an onboard eq ? (have installed the new East-uk 3 knob uni pre circuit http://www.east-uk.com/index.php/all-products/uni-pre-3k.html )

ta muchly in advance
DannyDanny
Fusioneer
Posted 8 years ago
Oooh a very techy question this, there are a few better educated peeps on here who do that stuff, however I would imagine they will have slightly different tones, usually the neck and bridge pups have different windings that deliver a different ohm reading. I can't really comment on the hyperactive going to an east preamp though. Email 'Mr' east, he'll probably tell you what's good to do, email Rob but wait a while for a reply.

My experience changing some old squire pups to Status ones was... a bit more output and a bit more top/middle/bottom, at the time, well worth it, it made it a stunning passive tone and a great bass to record with! I also fitted one of those Stellar tone pots and that was a good investment.
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator