s2 vs Stealth - weight

Last updated on 8 years ago
N
NeonVomit
Posted 8 years ago
Hey there, I'm kicking around the idea of getting a Status. I want to get a 6 string (I play a 6 about 80% of the time and 100% of the time in my main band).

One key factor for me is weight - I have a Warwick Thumb bolt on 6 and a Peavey Grind 6 (that I upgraded with an Aguilar preamp and SD pickups) and while I really do love both, they are heavy and it can be punishing if I've got a 2.5 hour gig. The Warwick is 5kg (about 11lb.) and the Peavey not much lighter. They're lovely basses and I wouldn't hesitate using them for studio work or shorter gigs, but I am starting to get tired of the shoulder pains after gigs. I really do want a lighter 6-string but don't want to compromise on sound or quality, so after trying out a colleague's Streamliner, I was sold on the brand. I really like the sound too.

The main ones I've been looking at have been the S2 neckthru and the Stealth. I've read that the Stealth is about 7lb, but haven't read what an S2 usually weighs. I realise that wood choices for the S2 can affect the weight, but say I went for the lighter woods, what kind of weight difference would we be looking at between the two? (I also really like the look of figured maple and a blue finish, but that would come secondary if the weight/price difference was small enough - the look of graphite blue tint is also pretty badass).

What are your experiences with both? What are the differences sound-wise? I know the S2 has the 3band eq and the Stealth a 2-band - I'd upgrade to a 3band in any case.

Thanks for reading!
Rob GreenRob Green
Posted 8 years ago
Hi,
The Stealth would be around 2 - 3 lbs lighter than the S2 depending on the woods used but a major factor in the bass being comfortable is whether it is headed or headless.
Our headed 6-string basses balance well compared to most other brands but our headless basses balance perfectly so there is much less strain on the neck/shoulders/back.

If you choose the Stealth with the variable frequency midrange EQ upgrade you will have a vast range of tones.

There is also a custom option of the Stealth with a figured maple facing and transparent blue tint if you want the lighter weight combined with the wood.

Please contact us through the website to work out the details or mail@status-graphite.com
Best regards, Rob.
N
NeonVomit
Posted 8 years ago
Thanks for your reply Rob! Much appreciated and food for thought.
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.