Status Energy 5

Last updated on 8 years ago
D
Dragan
Posted 8 years ago
Hi everyone!

Not sure if I am breaking some rule as this is my first post and should I do it in "new members" section. However,if not,here it is:
Recently I bought Status Energy 5 strings. It is a very good bass in every way,and I am very happy with it.

I would love to know about the pick ups, I see they are active (or hyperactive) but are they humbuckers or dual coils?
What about electronics - is there some trim pots I should know about in a cavity? It is very simple set up - pan pot,vol and tone, how's your settings? For the moment I tend to favourize bridge pick up a bit and roll off tone slightly.

I was long time Fender player (and still am,but for the moment Status gets most the gigs) and I played my P and J through Aguilar tone hammer preamp in order to give them more muscle or tone shaping. I think I will leave Aguilar for now as I dont like it in combo with Status pre. I will just add compression in my signal.

I will add photos as soon as I get them. My Status is natural ash, very light and beautiful with rosewood fingerboard. It has black hardware,and I luuuv black hardware on a bass guitar!

OK,that's for now, any input would be greatly appreciated,thanx!

Dragan
B
bassbus
Fusioneer
Posted 8 years ago
Hi Dragan, welcome on board and glad you are enjoying your bass. I get a bit lost when it comes to Status pickups over the years. I think they are passive pickups despite the name. The tone control is an active treble control. If you click on "Catalogues & more" at the top of this page you will find out lots of info on all Status basses including all the incarnations of Energy basses.
D
Dragan
Posted 8 years ago
Thanx Bassbus,here is some photos of my bass :)

i122.photobucket.com/albums/o276/draganr/stat1_zps4jvm979g.jpg
i122.photobucket.com/albums/o276/draganr/stat3_zpsfzc8ksrn.jpg
[URL=http://s122.photobucket.com/user/draganr/media/stat2_zpsgdzyofed.jpg.html]
i122.photobucket.com/albums/o276/draganr/stat2_zpsgdzyofed.jpg[/URL]
R
rojo412
Posted 8 years ago
Just FYI, there's no trim pots or anything on the preamp, it's super simple, but it sounds great.
The pickups are passive.

i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww313/rojo412/Energy%20Carbon/DSC02310_zpsed2fae1f.jpg

I actually have the graphite necked version of this bass and LOVE it.

i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww313/rojo412/Energy%20Carbon/100_3311_zps73e6f26e.jpg
Edited by rojo412 on 01-11-2015 17:51, 8 years ago
D
Dragan
Posted 8 years ago
Tnx, yes it is very simple and sounds great. However I play it through Aguilar tone hammer DI-preamp,it sounds even better then IMO. I am totally amazed by the playability and construction of this bass!
H
Harry
Posted 8 years ago
Hello Dragan

Here is my Energy 5 (before I refinished the satin coating, must update the pic)
http://www.statii.com/status_db/Simple_List_view.php?editid=222
Very similar to your but with the Utile body
Serial number 0582079, which translates as May 1998

The pickups on mine are labelled 'Hyperactive' but are passive
Each one has a single coil in the neck half of the pickup with a dummy coil in the bridge half. So hum cancelling single coil.
Check out:
http://www.status-graphite.com/status/frames/index_home.html
You can use a paperclip or something light and magnetic to feel where the magnet(s) are

Controls are Blend/Volume/Treble boost or cut
The treble tone control is flat at the centre detent
My current favourite strings are bridge pu with the treble all the way off
or neck pu with the treble flat
Seems to depend on the room

Working through the Catalogues and More section gave me hours of fun tracking down exactly which bass I had and getting it back to original spec

Definitely my favourite ever bass and the one I always pick up first

Welcome to statii.com
S1 Deluxe 5-string Cherry Red (2000)
Energy 5-string Mahogany (1998) (being renovated)
AcousticImage Focus 2R
Gen 3 Barefaced Compact
T-E 715 combo
Tech21 Sans Amp Bass Driver
1600W PA
Tascam MB-PT1
D
Dragan
Posted 8 years ago
Tnx Harry,

that was very kind and informative!

My serial is 106764 - does that mean october '96?

One thing I found as a con regarding sound - somehow it always has that middle honky nasal note,no matter what blend I dial and what I do with tone control. Thats why I use Aguilar tone hammer for additional shaping. Even then, that middle character is there. But playability and construction are tremendous!!!

BTW Here is my Status with the rest of the bunch!

i122.photobucket.com/albums/o276/draganr/5_zpsdq74htpg.jpg
Edited by Dragan on 17-11-2015 03:09, 8 years ago
D
Dragan
Posted 8 years ago
and one from recent studio recording, i brought my jazz 5 and my status energy.

i122.photobucket.com/albums/o276/draganr/stat%20studio_zpsg9sqz6av.jpg
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.