Bolt on vs through neck?

Last updated on 9 years ago
R
rob_89
Posted 9 years ago
Apologies if this has been raised before but im interested for opinions from Status owners on bolt on neck vs through neck, which they have and why, what do each offer different than the other etc and how do the differences/qualities compare to the difference in price??
B
bassbus
Fusioneer
Posted 9 years ago
Neck through Status basses are reputed to have quite a bright sparkly tone. When I ordered my bolt-on fretless Dawn said the botl-ons have a slightly warmer tone. I also like the idea of a bolt-on for the flexibility. If I wanted a four string fretted all I have to do is order a fretted neck rather than buy a whole new bass. Not much difference in sustain between the two either. As always it usually comes down to personal taste.
S
Slapmonsta
Posted 9 years ago
If money is an object, then I don't think you can go too far wrong with a bolt-on Status.A "bottom range" bolt on S2 classic is still a "bass for life!"
R
rob_89
Posted 9 years ago
Interesting, I hadn't realised you could order a different neck, I thought you could only go for the J/P/MM range...
B
Bruges99
Posted 9 years ago
I prefer bolt on carbon necked basses (status and modulus as well) more than NT carbon basses

I feel NT graphite basses a bit too crispy (imho)
LegaliZena @ Megabass.it
C
cecoulter
Posted 9 years ago
I would recommend getting a bolt-on. My first Status was a neck-through. It was the Eclipse limited edition. I liked it so much that I sold my other basses and ordered another Status. This time I ordered a bolt-on Eclipse model. After having the two for a while I realized that the bolt on sounded better. It had better attack, a warmer sound, and a punchier sound. The NT had a stronger fundamental tone ( as in the overtone series) and more sustain. But the difference was not that severe. I also read an interview in which Rob Green stated that he has perfected the Bolt-ons to the point that the sound is almost as good as the NT. He stated this because early in the development of bass guitars, manufactures used neck-through construction in order to increase sustain and overall tone. But with advancements in neck joints and high quality components it's a 5-10 % difference between the two in terms of sustain, fundamental tone, and clarity.
If the bolt-on is done right and all the components are off high-quality it is a great bass. If it is cheap-bolt on the sound will be terrible.
I now have three status basses and they are all bolt-ons.
I hope this helps.
-Chris
2000 Status Eclipse Custom 5-String
2008 Status Smart Bass 5-String Fretless
1992 Status S-1 Bolt-on 5 String
1993 Yamaha TRB 5
1930's German Upright Bass
2012 NS Design CR4T Electric Upright Bass
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator