Carvin Bass amp

Last updated on 11 years ago
DannyDanny
Fusioneer
Posted 11 years ago
So, I wasn't in the market for a new bass amp but I was watching one on ebay, when the listing ended I made a ridiculous offer on this brand new Carvin R1000 of £120. Bloke was desperate to sell, he said yes! So I drove down to Battersea to one of those really bad estates with hoodies on every corner to collect.

Looking on other forums the reviews are mixed. I took it into a band rehearsal yesterday and really put it through some nastiness!

It has lots of features and is surprisingly very light compared to my big old 4U Marshall head that has been my mainstay for years. The preamp it has, has a valve front end, probably an AX12, not sure though, it sounds pretty emulated but the overdrive is nice. It has a gate that works pretty well and a compressor. I don't like that you can't really turn off the compressor , you can turn it down but it doesn't really go off. The plus side is the amp can be bridged to produce 1000w at 4 ohms but I find it clips too much, so I run it un bridged through a 4X10 and that produces a healthy 350w. The eq sweeps are nice, the graphic isn't really worth having as the pre EQ thing works well enough. On the whole for what I've paid it's a great back up or alternative amp.
i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc162/DannyBaylis/866C3D27-7BC5-4979-9B43-8AFD1A97DAC2-7988-000006DFCAC9AFC1_zpsdfe98df1.jpg
i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc162/DannyBaylis/C645AF0F-2F48-44ED-8C7F-E33F322D7687-7988-000006DFC033A2BA_zps35849862.jpg
DannyDanny
Fusioneer
Posted 11 years ago
Just resurrecting this thread as we don't talk amps that much and I'm a bit bored of the front page 'for sales'... no offence intended.
I know some of the guys have the new fancy TC stuff and other small lightweight amps, I wish I could afford one, I'd love an RH!

Is anyone still using combos? Do most of us use heads? most of my home practice is straight into my MAC audio interface so the amps only come out for recording or live work. Does anyone if playing live just DI and have sound back through a wedge monitor or in ear monitors? Very curious as to peoples preferred set up. Valve or solid state?

We all buy these damn fine basses but what reproduces the sound? Lovely expensive bass...shitty amp.

I wish Rob Green would do just one amp. The status Bass amp. Can you imagine the quality and design? The amp specifically built to reproduce the quality status sound, now that I would love to see and hear! :D
T
tippbass
Posted 11 years ago
Hi
I used to own a Carvin Redhead Combo, basically the same head as you have here but I think it was 600w max . from what I remember it was a decent enough sounding amp and as you mention the graphic was redundant most of the time as the parametric eq was good in its own right , I sold it about 5 yrs ago now and its new owner still gigs it to this day so it must have been ok !
Amp wise these days I use an Ashdown MK500 head (which i love to bits !!) currently through a Markbass 104HF cab ... the markbass cab is a great cab but I'm not 100% its suited to the MK500, It delivers a nice tight punchy fingerstyle funk sound but seems to lack a bit of top end twang !!! but maybe thats just due to my setting up of it , I dont do a huge ammount of slap so it kinda gets set up to suit the puchy finger sound , I'd like to try something like a 'barefaced super compact ' with it or something like that but there's not many of them kicking around in Ireland !!
In a previous band I was using a Tech21 pre amp pedal straight into the desk and In ear monitors and all the while it was super quick to set up and pack away you do miss the trouser flapping effect of standing next to your amp and the feeling of your bass amp !
Recording wise I've always tended to just DI into the desk and EQ on the bass ...... usually when I've been in a studio recording I've been paying for the time so the quicker i'm done the cheaper it is !!! and premadonna guitar players take forever doing solos again and again !!!
That's my two pennys worth , cheers Interesting thread , can't beat a bit of Amp Chat !!
Al
Status S2 Classic-Cocobolo & wrap round LEDs
Trace Elliot AH500 GP11 Series 4
Gallien Krueger 700RB 2 1x12 combo + 1x12 neo cab
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator