Kingbass or S2 Classic ?

Last updated on 9 years ago
T
tippbass
Posted 11 years ago
Hi all , Newbie on here and here goes with post no:1 !!

So .... I was all set to order a Kingbass std , love the look,shape and sounds(what ive heard) from them ...... after a call to Status today and a chat with Dawn she mentioned that the Kingbass was designed to be worn higher up the body ... like Mark King I suppose !! I wouldn't be an out an out slapper I'd do a bit but not all the time , So I was thinking would an S2 Classic be a better option ? All opinions greatly received ;-)

Regards

Al
enzoenzo
Fusioneer
Posted 11 years ago
Having owned a KB and owning an old SII I don't think it would be uncomfortable to wear a KB lower than where MK has it, unless you play it on your knees.
...but if you don't slap a lot I would suggest you an S2 which is a more all around sounding Status. Just my opinion.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
'13 Stealth
pingvuiinipingvuiini
Posted 11 years ago
Welcome!

I have a KB Standard 4 string that I bought on a whim when my 6 string S2 was all ready to be shipped. I had the 34" fretted neck switched out for a fretless 32" (Bendwell) neck and have really come to enjoy the shorter scale. I was discussing a KB Mk2 with Rob for a long time and was just about to pull the trigger late last year (a few months ago) until some sudden unpleasant financial surprises derailed everything (I won't get into that). I am trying to get things back in order and still hope to order a new Status soon. If I do I am very much leaning towards a 4 string S2 with Bendwell. I think the longer body horn of the S2 will be much more comfortable for my fretting hand/wrist. But the small body size of the KB is nice too.
T
tippbass
Posted 11 years ago
Cheers for that ;-) ...... So basically Kingbass - Good .... S2 - Good :)
I was looking back on the status site last night and maybe thinking that the S2 could be a better option ? But I really like the look of the KB .... I've never owned a headless bass so either way that's going to be strange for a while but I think to be honest I could get used to anything ;)
I was looking on the web last night at pictures of KB's & S2's and I spotted a pic of Mr King with a KB slung a little lower than normal for him so I'd be happy that it'll be comfortable to play , my playing position would be with the bass kinda on the flat of my stomach ... I've spent most of the last 20 odd years playing back breaking shoulder damaging fenders,stingrays & Warwicks and to be honest haven't looked back since I got the Energy Artist , so I'm hoping either the KB or the S2 will be a joy to play :)
Thanks for your comments
Al
Status S2 Classic-Cocobolo & wrap round LEDs
Trace Elliot AH500 GP11 Series 4
Gallien Krueger 700RB 2 1x12 combo + 1x12 neo cab
D
DrDAV
Posted 11 years ago
I have had both. When you strap a Kingbass lower, you realize it is NOT balanced, it becomes neck heavy. Not that this is a big deal, but it does feel better worn higher up. The S2 or Stealth etc.. is very balanced at most any strap length, especially if headless. Ideally you can build a bolt on S2 with the 32"/ 16.5mm spacing and it would be a killer balanced bass.
pingvuiinipingvuiini
Posted 11 years ago

DrDAV wrote:
Ideally you can build a bolt on S2 with the 32"/ 16.5mm spacing and it would be a killer balanced bass.

I think that is exactly what I am going to do!
S
Slapmonsta
Posted 11 years ago
Love the looks and feel of the original KB-but having had both a 34" Standard and a 32" Artist I would say that as a "bigger":D person then as others have said the balance just didnt work...I also feel the s2 is also a better all rounder sonically IMO....just my opinion,though....
T
tippbass
Posted 11 years ago
Cheers for the comments so far lads ;-) ...... It's kinda lending its way towards an S2 Classic me thinks .... Despite my love for the look of the Kingbass :) I think in my heart of hearts taking into consideration the music I play & the way I play the S2 will probably be the best option :)
...... Maybe I'll buy a Kingbass next :D
Any more comments , appreciated
Cheers
Al
Status S2 Classic-Cocobolo & wrap round LEDs
Trace Elliot AH500 GP11 Series 4
Gallien Krueger 700RB 2 1x12 combo + 1x12 neo cab
Fat RichFat Rich
Posted 11 years ago
I'd suggest you get your hands on some before ordering, there's the London Bass Show coming up in March where there will be some of both on display, or if you can get to the factory to try some.

I find the Kingbass too small, it's sort of guitar size and just doesn't hang right on someone large like me.

The S2 with it's longer top horn is a much better balanced instrument, plus I go for the longer scale headed S2 Classics.

Also beware the weight can be variable, one of my S2s weighs 7.5lbs, another weighs about 12lbs... heavier than my heaviest 70s Fender.
DannyDanny
Fusioneer
Posted 11 years ago
Don't forget, if your having a custom build you can change the type/position of the pick ups, the woods, board etc, so making sure it hangs and feels right is important, especially if you perform live with it, not so if it's just a studio tool.
S
Slapmonsta
Posted 9 years ago
S2 for me....The KB is a lovely instrument but as others have said the balance is set up for the man himself.If you are going to go for a KB I'd also be willing to give the often overlooked bolt- on "Standard" a try as in my experience (having owned both) it sounds better than the Artist...good luck.
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator