Refinish Status Energy 5 Walnut

Last updated on 12 years ago
aartsaarts
Posted 12 years ago
I'm considering buying this bass: http://link.markt.../574926080 If I do i then also consider a refinish.

Can anybody tell me if this is massive walnut or just a walnu top. In other words: Is there a risk that heavely sanding goes trough a walnut top?

Anyone advice which finish to use? I'm thinking of teak oil or something like that.

All kind of help is welcome.....

Thanks in advance
Edited by aarts on 07-07-2012 02:29, 12 years ago
DannyDanny
Fusioneer
Posted 12 years ago
I'd say that'll sand down easy. It looks like a solid i.e. no veneer but even if it did the veneers are usually about 8mm so get it, do it,play it!!
aartsaarts
Posted 12 years ago
ok,thanks for your advice.

I bought the Energy yesterday night. I also think it's solid/massive walnut.

One question left: anyone with a good advice on the kind of finish?

Maybe someone who knows a link to a website witho examples of the effect of the different kind of finishes?

I'm very curious....
aartsaarts
Posted 12 years ago
Yesterday I have disassembled the Energy 5, sanded it and refinished it ones

Before disassembling:
home.solcon.nl/aart.saly/images/Energy/03.jpg

After disassembling you can see this project is no luxury.:
home.solcon.nl/aart.saly/images/Energy/Finish1.jpg

First I sanded it with sandpaper grid 80, then with 180, then with 400 en finally I polished it with extra fine steel wool.
home.solcon.nl/aart.saly/images/Energy/Finish2.jpg

Then I bought polyurethaan glue from Bison:
www.bison.nl/static/resized/products/assets/asset_9235_4.gif.270x330_q95_autocrop.png

I rubbed the body with a polishing cloth firmly with this glue to achieve a matte finish. However its turned out darker than I wished I'm very pleased with the result:
home.solcon.nl/aart.saly/images/Energy/Finish3.jpg

Today I'm going to treat it again. This glue is a real brilliant idea I heart from a dutch bass builder and its very easy to process (first tried it on a loose piece of wood):
home.solcon.nl/aart.saly/images/Energy/Finish4.jpg

Treated the fingerboard with good ol' WD-40 (advice from the Status website). I use this stuff for lubricating and polish all kind of parts on my motorbike :|
home.solcon.nl/aart.saly/images/Energy/Finish5.jpg

Some shots of the Energy after reassembling:
home.solcon.nl/aart.saly/images/Energy/Finish6.jpg

home.solcon.nl/aart.saly/images/Energy/Finish7.jpg

a little close up:
home.solcon.nl/aart.saly/images/Energy/Finish8.jpg

a look at the backside:
home.solcon.nl/aart.saly/images/Energy/Finish9.jpg

And then finally with the logo wich was produced by 123sticker.nl :
home.solcon.nl/aart.saly/images/Energy/Finish10.jpg

home.solcon.nl/aart.saly/images/Energy/Finish11.jpg

A good example of the ease of this type of finish: while assembling I made a 1.5 inch scratch on the front of the body. I sanded it with 180, 400 and steel wool and I rubbed it with the Bison glue partially. The next day I polished it partially with the steel wool and, voila no-one can tell where the scratch was located.... :D
Edited by aarts on 06-08-2012 19:01, 12 years ago
SLOW HANDSLOW HAND
Posted 12 years ago
()()
Status SII 5
Status S5000
Status Energy5,
Aria IGB35/5 F,
MarkBass MoMark SD800, New York 121, Traveler 121h
B
bassbus
Fusioneer
Posted 12 years ago
Great job so far. Look forward to following this.
garythebassgarythebass
Posted 12 years ago
That's really nice!

I love the way the grain and colour has come out - looks like a totally different bass.

I'm thinking of refurbing my Energy Matrix and you have really inspired me!

I'll be following your progress. :)
aartsaarts
Posted 12 years ago
Thank you all for the kind words.

Yesterday I sanded it very carefull and softly with sandpaper 400 untill it was as soft as silk. Then I treated it for a second time with the glue. Despite my expectations it didn't stay silk after drying up, so I polished the body again with the Steel wool and the brushed it with a dry painting brush to remove the grey steel wool dust. This made the body soft and silk again and and also it gave an extra matte glow. I'm very pleased with the result.

Tonight I'm going to reassemble it.:)

to be continued......
sgh42sgh42
Posted 12 years ago
Fantastich job !
*Basses*
GB Rumour (2010) . . . . : . . . . :

*Amplification*
Genz Benz Shuttle 9.2 Head
Vanderkley 212MNT Cab

I am the greatest bass player in my house apart from my fish.
BLUNDERTHUMBSBLUNDERTHUMBS
Posted 12 years ago

garythebass wrote:
That's really nice!

I love the way the grain and colour has come out - looks like a totally different bass.

I'm thinking of refurbing my Energy Matrix and you have really inspired me!

I'll be following your progress. :)

Hey Gary. Let me see the pics if you decide to refurb my old Status. If I had the time to do it myself you may not have got the oppertunity to purchase it from me.Regrets, regrets.
Cheers. Ian.
garythebassgarythebass
Posted 12 years ago
Hey Gary. Let me see the pics if you decide to refurb my old Status. If I had the time to do it myself you may not have got the oppertunity to purchase it from me.Regrets, regrets.
Cheers. Ian.[/quote]

Sure Ian, will do!

Got a recording session and a couple of gigs to get out of the way, then a bit of a break for the holidays and all systems go!

Feeling inspired by this refurb, and looking forward to seeing the finished result.

Intrigued by the method used here with the rub-on glue.

I was going to spray mine in satin polyurethane - anyone have comments on the pros & cons of the respective finishes please?
Posted 12 years ago

garythebass wrote:
Cheers. Ian.

Sure Ian, will do!

Got a recording session and a couple of gigs to get out of the way, then a bit of a break for the holidays and all systems go!

Feeling inspired by this refurb, and looking forward to seeing the finished result.

Intrigued by the method used here with the rub-on glue.

I was going to spray mine in satin polyurethane - anyone have comments on the pros & cons of the respective finishes please?[/quote]

I'm sure that is not glue. It says polyurathane on the container.
I think the chap is foreign and refers to this as glue. Can't see somebody rubbing glue all over a frshly sanded piece of walnut.
:o
DannyDanny
Fusioneer
Posted 12 years ago

BLUNDERTHUMBS
I'm sure that is not glue. It says polyurathane on the container.
I think the chap is foreign and refers to this as glue. Can't see somebody rubbing glue all over a frshly sanded piece of walnut.
:o

Lol. Yeah I thought that. It's not what we would call glue, but hey, who knows. It's got to be a varnish of some sort.

I'm a bit into the natural oil finish these days.
Posted 12 years ago

Aarts wrote:

Before disassembling:

First I sanded it with sandpaper grid 80, then with 180, then with 400 en finally I polished it with extra fine steel wool.

Jeez.
The neck on this thing is horrible !!!!:(

www.bison.nl/static/resized/products/assets/asset_9235_4.gif.270x330_q95_autocrop.png

I rubbed the body with a polishing cloth firmly with this glue to achieve a matte finish. However its turned out darker than I wished I'm very pleased with the result:

Today I'm going to treat it again. This glue is a real brilliant idea I heart from a dutch bass builder and its very easy to process (first tried it on a loose piece of wood):
garythebassgarythebass
Posted 12 years ago
Definitely glue, guys - extract from the manufacturer's website:

Konstruktielijm

Vial 250 g Brown (transparent)

High quality, waterproof and filling polyurethane wood glue for inside and outside (D4-standard).
Scope
For bonding virtually all wood species, among themselves and on formica, metal, stone, concrete and various plastics. Specially for bonding and repairing (wood) constructions and connections which high requirements.

Just put it all over my bass, and now I can't put it down! :D
aartsaarts
Posted 12 years ago
I updated the 4th reply above with the final pics...

Enjoy
me4bassme4bass
Veteran Member
Posted 12 years ago
Wow, great job !

You can be proud of this resurrection. ()
Posted 12 years ago

Aarts wrote:

Before disassembling:

Treated the fingerboard with good ol' WD-40 (advice from the Status website). I use this stuff for lubricating and polish all kind of parts on my motorbike :|
home.solcon.nl/aart.saly/images/Energy/Finish5.jpg

Some shots of the Energy after reassembling:
home.solcon.nl/aart.saly/images/Energy/Finish6.jpg

home.solcon.nl/aart.saly/images/Energy/Finish7.jpg

a little close up:
home.solcon.nl/aart.saly/images/Energy/Finish8.jpg

A good example of the ease of this type of finish: while assembling I made a 1.5 inch scratch on the front of the body. I sanded it with 180, 400 and steel wool and I rubbed it with the Bison glue partially. The next day I polished it partially with the steel wool and, voila no-one can tell where the scratch was located.... :D

WOW !!!

If I'd have seen these before and after pics a few weeks ago I might not have sold my Status Energy Matrix to Garythebass.
Great job looks spot on.()():D
B
bassbus
Fusioneer
Posted 12 years ago
Great job. I'm sure Rob would be proud of you on that one.
garythebassgarythebass
Posted 12 years ago
Congratulations Aarts, what a restoration! ()
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator