Ampeg Portaflex PF-500

Last updated on 13 years ago
I
intercept
Posted 13 years ago
The Ibanez Promethean fell from grace when I discovered that the same amp is available in a different case for less than half the price, badged as a Harley Benton BA500H :o. Consequently, being an long time Ampeg user and having read 64 pages of 99.9% praise in the TalkBass megathread on this amp I decided to order a PF-500 instead. 500 watts of Ampeg tone in a 5Kg package (compared to 350 watts in my current 30Kg unit) - hopefully its as good as it sounds.

I'm not sold on the matching cabinets, but if I needed new cabs I'd seriously consider these GK Neos to make a neat 2x12 stack.

Should be arriving this week - I'll let you know how it goes...

John
I
intercept
Posted 13 years ago
In short, after a couple of rehearsals worth of testing, the Ampeg PF500 is absolutely superb with my Matrix5. I've not heard it mentioned anywhere else, but it seems to have the ability to add a subtle amount of sub-octave when you turn up the bass knob. Nothing extreme, but just enough to give it a really meaty bottom end without muddying up the rest of the signal.

This review is of its little 350 watt brother, the PF350. The PF500 has more power and facilities in a slightly larger case.

I don't understand why they come with such a small pricetag! - and they're even cheaper in the States.
DannyDanny
Fusioneer
Posted 13 years ago
Sounds like your over the moon...give us a sound sample when you can!
R
Rogiarte
Posted 13 years ago
The Ibanez Promethean and Harley Benton BA500H the two at 500W 4ohm..heyy but they are diferent Amps !!
For example , something like the 2,9kg for (ibanez) and 4kg for (harley benton)
Amps are nor compared only by the Watts, or because they the BOX look similar, for example Behringer can make a 500W amp that looks similar to any maker , but we know they are diferent.
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator