Need help with S2 Classic

Last updated on 14 years ago
J
jphilauren
Posted 14 years ago
I have a chance to purchase an S2 Classic neck thru in very good condition from original owner. Seller says it's a late 90's or early 2000, he bought it in 00 or 01.
My question relates to the following, it has a truss rod, one piece bridge vs the newer individual bridge pieces. When did Status start using a truss rod and when did they switch to the individual bridge pieces? Might this not be a S2 and possibly be an Empathy? or an in between model switch.
evomanevoman
Posted 14 years ago
My Empathy had a one piece bridge, so not sure that means much. But I'll wait for the real Status experts to chime in with a timeline!
B
bassbus
Fusioneer
Posted 14 years ago
If it has the same facing wood on the back as it has on the front then at that age it is more than likely an Empathy. Have a look in the "Catalogues & more" section where there is lot of info and pics. You might be able to match up your instrument with something there. Better still post some pics.

As far as dates for change to S2 there are others on here who will know more than I do.
Edited by bassbus on 20-09-2010 23:06, 14 years ago
J
jphilauren
Posted 14 years ago
Attached is photo, looked at the archived brochures and cannot find the exact match.Have sent serial# to Status for help.
You do not have access to view attachments
Fat RichFat Rich
Posted 14 years ago
Fairly sure it's an S2 Classic, as mentioned by BassBus it would have to have a facing on the back to be an Empathy (although people do sometimes specify them as an extra on the S2).

Date sounds about right too, it's got the plastic knobs rather than the metal knurled ones and I think the individual monorail bridges are a fairly recent change, my 2005ish S2 has the singe piece bridge.

Looks like a really nice bass!
Edited by Fat Rich on 21-09-2010 01:09, 14 years ago
stenobassstenobass
Veteran Member
Posted 14 years ago
Nice bass indeed!

Looks like an S2 as the Empathy was produced only until 1995 I presume...
Edited by stenobass on 21-09-2010 01:45, 14 years ago
B
bassbus
Fusioneer
Posted 14 years ago
Looks like an S2 as it seems to have the mid cut/flat/boost switch, and the through neck stops on the neck side of the bridge pup. Nice bass.
RetroronRetroron
Posted 14 years ago
I bought an S2 in Oct 2005, and it had the monorail bridges, and the metal knurled knobs. Not sure when the changes to the bridge etc took place?
stenobassstenobass
Veteran Member
Posted 14 years ago
I think the monorail bridges were introduced with the first original KingBass in 2001 or so, not sure 100% though..

The 3-band eq with the mid switch was introduced in the early 90's with the Empathy, so the more recent Board 300/-1/-2/-3 eq's are just updates of the old version.
Fat RichFat Rich
Posted 14 years ago

stenobass wrote:
I think the monorail bridges were introduced with the first original KingBass in 2001 or so, not sure 100% though..

The 3-band eq with the mid switch was introduced in the early 90's with the Empathy, so the more recent Board 300/-1/-2/-3 eq's are just updates of the old version.

Were the monorails used for the headed basses too in 2001 or was it just when Status outsourced the headless hardware? I've a feeling the headed basses continued with the one piece bridges for quite a while although I may be wrong!
stenobassstenobass
Veteran Member
Posted 14 years ago

Fat Rich wrote:

stenobass wrote:

Were the monorails used for the headed basses too in 2001 or was it just when Status outsourced the headless hardware? I've a feeling the headed basses continued with the one piece bridges for quite a while although I may be wrong!

Good question, I do not know...you may be right!
J
jphilauren
Posted 14 years ago
I heard back from Rob, the S2 was made on 2000. Looks like the bridge assembly varied during the 2000's.
I have a S2 late 02 or early 03 that has mono bridge. Wonder if there is much of a sound difference. Sending payment today for the S2 and should have sometime next week. thanks for all the help.
Fat RichFat Rich
Posted 14 years ago
I recently swapped the monorails on my S2 classic 5 string headed for a one piece ABM bridge and it gives more punch and sustain and a more focussed tone, but a bit less woody in my opinion.
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator