fretless fingerboard

Last updated on 18 years ago
AndyAndy
Posted 18 years ago
Hi,

I saw on the status website that we can choose between unlined,lined or half lined.

I would like to know how it look the half lined??
SteveSteve
Fusioneer
Posted 18 years ago
They don't offer half lined/half unlined unless you ask for it as a one-off option.

They do however allow half fretted half fretless - which I would assume is either the first 12 frets and then plain the rest of the way or (as I've seen some acoustic guitars), the E and A strings have frets, allowing fretless playing on the D and G.

Hope this helps :)
Status S2 5 String Fretless 'Moo-wood'
Status S1000 rebuild
Fender Strat - Fretted
Shadow Superstrat Guitar - Fretless
Ibanez RG Electric of some sort
Avalon As-101CE Electro-Acoustic Guitar

I've owned 5 Statii so far, with 2 at present....
AndyAndy
Posted 18 years ago
That's weird this half fret/half fretless things...
Thanks steve!
N
nivek
Posted 18 years ago
Edit : Woops, wrong thread...

Those fretted/fretless combinations could be real fun B)
Edited by nivek on 25-06-2006 04:53, 18 years ago
StianStian
Posted 18 years ago
does seem rather odd..
however I am debating my self over unlined vs lined...
What do you think?
SteveSteve
Fusioneer
Posted 18 years ago
Unlined! :@

Lol - sorry, but I really dont like lined fretless at all, its like getting the tone without the commitment of learning how to play fretless properly.
Status S1000 rebuild
Fender Strat - Fretted

Edited by Steve on 25-06-2006 06:21, 18 years ago
N
nivek
Posted 18 years ago
I vote lined, I began fretless with an unlined jap jazz bass (special). Since I bought the lined status, I feel so much comfortable and dare improvising in the highs. I did not before.

Of course, your ear is the only real relyable tune control... but lines give a good idea of where the notes are.

Lame ? Lazy ? yeah ! but I play better this way, so what ? :p
StianStian
Posted 18 years ago
hmm.. I see both sides.. can't seem to make up my mind... but i actualy like the overall look of the lined better than the unlined.. the org.neck is lined so i would have to start all over again in fretless style playing if i went for an unlined.. although a lined one is like cheating in steve's eyes :P

Thanks
Edited by Stian on 25-06-2006 14:26, 18 years ago
MisterpinkMisterpink
Veteran Member
Posted 18 years ago
I dissagree.... Are we saying that if you play a lined fretless bass that the sound/intonation you produce is false.... becasue of the lines????

I recently bought my first fretless bass (2nd hand) which is un-lined and within half hour my intonation was spot-on.... Played my first gig with it the day after... pretty much in tune the whole gig...

Now i'm thinking about buying and S2 5 string version... and I would definitely go for a lined one becasue in my opinion it looks far better than an un-lined bass...!!!

MrP
Essex..... Home of the Bass!!!!

UK Award Winning Wedding/Function Band:www.5catfish.com

HOT SAUCE Disco/Funk/Rare Groove covers band:www.HotSauceDisco.com

Sponsors
www.k-array.com/
www.gallien-krueger.com
www.purple-chili.com
i112.photobucket.com/albums/n182/crez5150/JayCramphorneavt.jpg
andreandre
Admin
Posted 18 years ago
Just a word of caution, Rob will make the lined neck with the lines where the fret would be or with the lines in the middle of where the frets would be. It makes a big difference unless you don't need to look at the neck while playing :p
MisterpinkMisterpink
Veteran Member
Posted 18 years ago

andre wrote:
Just a word of caution, Rob will make the lined neck with the lines where the fret would be or with the lines in the middle of where the frets would be. It makes a big difference unless you don't need to look at the neck while playing :p

Cheers for that... I never knew that was an option.... I would probably go for having lines where the Frets would be... looks more natural i guess....

Perhaps that could be your next Member Poll Andre... Lined or un-lined fretless.... or is it cheating or not!

Sponsors
www.k-array.com/
www.gallien-krueger.com
www.purple-chili.com
AndyAndy
Posted 18 years ago
I think Rob make the lined neck with the lines where the fret would be,like misterpink,it obvious to make the lines here.
andreandre
Admin
Posted 18 years ago

misterpink wrote:

andre wrote:

Cheers for that... I never knew that was an option.... I would probably go for having lines where the Frets would be... looks more natural i guess....

Perhaps that could be your next Member Poll Andre... Lined or un-lined fretless.... or is it cheating or not!

Yes it looks more natural but if you have never played a fretless it is also more difficult to play because you tend to place your fingers in between the lines whereas the correct note is on the lines !
N
nivek
Posted 18 years ago
Alphonso Johnson asked Vigier to build his fretlesses with lines in-between frets.

The point here is to place you fingers between lines the same way you could place them between frets... Quite strange... But the priority is to have your bass built the way it makes YOU feel comfortable.

N
nivek
Posted 18 years ago

andre wrote:
Yes it looks more natural but if you have never played a fretless it is also more difficult to play because you tend to place your fingers in between the lines whereas the correct note is on the lines !

It has always been logical for me to play notes on the lines, as the string vibration stops on the fret. I even play fretted basses with fingers nearly on the frets.
StianStian
Posted 18 years ago
Thanks guys :D
And a special thanks to misterpink :D
I was a bit woried for a moment :P
I think my replacement neck for my old jazz will be a lined fretless one.. with the lines vere they should be (in my opinion) right vere the frets go.. :) cus thats what I'm used to :) and i agree with misterpink that a lined neck looks far better than an unlined one.
MisterpinkMisterpink
Veteran Member
Posted 18 years ago
;)

Sponsors
www.k-array.com/
www.gallien-krueger.com
www.purple-chili.com
SteveSteve
Fusioneer
Posted 18 years ago
Well thats me put in my place :O :(
Status S1000 rebuild
Fender Strat - Fretted

StianStian
Posted 18 years ago
he he :D
statusstatus
Fusioneer
Posted 18 years ago
I would go lined. I have owned and played both but found the unlined ones to be confusing as the side dots were where the frets would have been. For a simple person like me this was difficult to adjust to when switching between basses.

Take the sensible option and go lined with the dots in the usual place if you are going to play a variety of basses.
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator