What do you play - fretted/fretless? 4/5/6 string?

Last updated on 14 years ago

Poll: Bass Preference

Fretted / 4 string [21/30]70 %
    Fretted / 5 string [5/30]17 %
    Fretted / 6 string [1/30]3 %
    Fretless / 4 string [2/30]7 %
    Fretless / 5 string [1/30]3 %
    Fretless / 6 string [0/30]0 %
joenoonejoenoone
Posted 14 years ago
I'm curious about what everyone else prefers - fretted or fretless and how many strings??

Myself I play 5-string fretless mostly (a Steinberger Synapse for now - until I get the money for a Status).

I like fretless because it seems more expressive as well as being able to get that distinctive "mwaaa" sound of fretless. I also find it nice to be able to set the action VERY low.

In terms of 5 strings I like having the low B string so I can have a wider range of the lower register to play. I never saw the need for a high C for a additional string as it gets you too much into the guitar tonal range to be very useful and you can always just move up the fretboard if you want those notes. That and as I've seen some people joke that "if you're playing a 6-string bass you're not a bassist - just a misguided guitarist".

So what do you prefer and why?
treebark55treebark55
Posted 14 years ago
Well, I prefer fretless, but mostly play fretted, because my intonation, especially when reading, is not good enough.

I have never been able to master the low-B on a fiver -- my peripheral vision or whatever makes me think it is the E. I did have a Synapse fiver for a while, and did well enough when I strung it with a high C.

That said, when I win the raffle, I am going to take the five-stringer, and give it another go.
Edited by treebark55 on 14-12-2009 04:09, 14 years ago
B
bassbus
Fusioneer
Posted 14 years ago

joenoone wrote:

That and as I've seen some people joke that "if you're playing a 6-string bass you're not a bassist - just a misguided guitarist".

Let me see, that would be guitarists who said that. They're only jealous they don't play the most important instrument in a band.

I play mostly fretless for the same reason as you joenoone. It is so expressive and I love the big thick sound you can get from it. I do play fretted too but fretless gets the vote most of the time.
Edited by bassbus on 14-12-2009 04:57, 14 years ago
ospreyosprey
Posted 14 years ago
I'm a fretted-4-string player, as that's right for the covers band I play with. And my bit of skill is stretched thin enough making a decent job of that.

You refer to "getting the money for a Status". I can well see why you might want to order a brand-new KB or S2 Classic with some seriously astonishing wood alongside the pristine graphite. But the used prices of Status basses are crazy: I have a graphite bolt-on which cost me £300 and has the best neck I've ever played. Keep an eye on the Bay..an unseen Status is a safe bet since the neck stays the same shape despite global warming.
T
Trev
Posted 14 years ago
It's a good old trusty 4 string fretted for me (even though I am without a bass at the moment!), although over the years I've had a fretless 5 and a fretted 6.

I struggle enough with 4 strings though...

Plus, as I see it, some of the greatest bass playing ever was played on a 4 string - Jaco, Mark King, Jeff Berlin, James Jamerson etc

Trev
DannyDanny
Fusioneer
Posted 14 years ago
I mainly play a fretted 5 but do dabble on my fretless from time to time dreaming I am playing an upright very well in a very cool jazz trio.....:D
M
montmorenzi
Posted 14 years ago
I defo prefer 4 string fretted - and I think this backed up by the fact that I am desperate to get hold of a Series 2 / 2000 at the right price and the only ones for sale seem to be 5 & 6 stringers!! Doh!!
youngjr1youngjr1
Veteran Member
Posted 14 years ago
Right now I'm playing a 4 string fretted (My Kingbass and Jaydee primarily), but I've got a 5 string custom fretless on order that will hopefully be here by the end of the month: http://www.statii.com/forum/forum/vie...ad_id=3182

I have a strong feeling I will be spending many hours in the woodshed with it once it arrives :). I do love the sound of a fretless and can't wait to dig into it!
Angry-CanuckAngry-Canuck
Fusioneer
Posted 14 years ago

BassBus wrote:

joenoone wrote:

That and as I've seen some people joke that "if you're playing a 6-string bass you're not a bassist - just a misguided guitarist".

Let me see, that would be guitarists who said that. They're only jealous they don't play the most important instrument in a band.

There are several references for bass players on 6's who can take care of that statement, but the one who comes to mind immediately is our very own Don Prince, that man is a weapon!

I have a fretless (4 string) but it doesnt get any action from me as I cant even handle the ones WITH frets! :o
4 Asians, 2 Brits, 1 French and also some basses
D
Don Prince
Posted 14 years ago
I am a 6 string fretted player and have been for sometime now, 10 years. Starting on the 4 stringer & exploring every bit by turning it inside & outside in for over 25 years, I felt the need to explore the 6 string. I then purchased my first Empathy six'er, and life simply was'nt the same since.

The amount of string does not make you a better player or worst. It is simply a tool for musicians to express him/herself to their fullest potential.

The swicht was not an easy one, but the rewards were well worth the effort. ( for me )

The choice of how many strings for a bassist is a personal choice & everybody should be respected & encouraged in their musical growth.

Don.

P.S. Tony Levin, at one time had a Music Man 3 stringer build for him, koooool.
There is enough music for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.

Robert Fripp.
joenoonejoenoone
Posted 14 years ago

Don Prince wrote:
I am a 6 string fretted player and have been for sometime now, 10 years. Starting on the 4 stringer & exploring every bit by turning it inside & outside in for over 25 years, I felt the need to explore the 6 string. I then purchased my first Empathy six'er, and life simply was'nt the same since.

I joke about 6-string basses but I've wrestled with the philosophy of exploring new faucets versus going back to basics (i.e. getting a 6-string or a 4-string). There are reasons whatever one chooses to play and I see nothing wrong with any of the choices - the reasons are as varied as the style of music bass players play.

Now if you REALLY want to go out there you could go with a 10-string Chapman Stick or a one-string Washtub Bass as well. Heard good & bad players on both.

Myself in terms of variety I also have an Ashbory bass, a Palatino EUB I got on the cheap and fixed it up to learn upright bass with, and my oldest bass which is a 5-string fretted Steinberger spirit. Oh, also the violin I played all through my youth (10 yrs private lessons & orchestras) but that's another story...
F
fretmeister
Posted 14 years ago
Mostly fretless 4

I have a lovely Energy that Rob built a new neck for.

For some gigs (metal) I'll take the fretted, but I really prefer the sound of the fretless.

I really need another one - so I can have 1 with really light rounds, and the other with chunky flats.
B
BluesWalker
Posted 14 years ago
About 10 years ago I settled into playing only 5-strings with the lower string a low B. I like the extended range the B string provides. I was once in a band that played a lot of SRV where the gtr player wanted to play in the original key of Eb, so I liked the 5-string because I did not have to tune the E string down a 1/2 step. I also lke the lower range and frequently play below E.

I have tried fretless a few time, a couple of Synapses and a beautiful sounding, original Gary Willis fretless I picked up for a song on e-bay. It was fun to play the fretless, but I never took to the sound and my intonation is not that great and reproducible when I played fast passages. More and more practice might have helped but I didn't have the time to find out.
Cherry Red 5-String Fretted Streamline, 16.5 mm string spacing, half-wound strings strung EADGC

LMIII, Mark Bass 2x10, Mark Bass 1x12
Boss TU-3

Jazz, Blues, Progressive Rock
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot edit the poll in this discussion thread.
You cannot vote on the poll in this discussion thread.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.