Beginner advice needed for Multi-Track recording with Garageband

Last updated on 14 years ago
sgh42sgh42
Posted 14 years ago
Looking for some advice please. I've just started to dabble in Garageband on my own creating some tracks but I also jam with some friends of mine & so I'm looking for a multitrack recording device that would enable me to see the seperate tracks in Garageband.

Would be recording Bass, Electronic Drums & guitars to start with but wouldn't mind some mic inputs to 'future proof' (for want of a better phrase) in case we use them in the future. I've asked on some other forums & was asked these questions to narrow the choice down :

What you want to do with it?
Make some demos
How many inputs will you be happy with?
I guess 4 would be ok
Do you want the ability to expand and add more inputs (eg via ADAT) or go cheaper and buy bigger later to just replace?
Go cheaper/depends on the price
Do you want portability?
No
Are your electric drums just stereo output, or will you want direct outs for each drum pad?
Stereo output
Do you have a desk to use the mic preamps for the bass, and guitars? if not you'll need an interface with enough mic preamps for each instrument, if you do and have direct outs or enough aux outputs on the desk you just need line inputs on the interface.
I don't have a desk just 1 bass, 2 guitars, drums and amps
Will you ever be in a place where you want to record without the computer? In which case something like the zoom you looked at first would be what you want.
No
What sort of quality do you want from it, just for getting down ideas or good enough to record tracks for demos or will you be wanting to put together your own eps for a while?
Tracks for demos
Are you happy to buy second hand or does is have to be new?
2nd hand is fine
Then more importantly, what's your budget? Whats the maximum you can afford to spend? What price would you be more happy to pay?
£400

So far seem's the MOTU 828 Mkii Firewire Interface is being highly recommended. Can anyone here recommend the MOTU or anything els ?

Thanks
Steve
ciubeccaciubecca
Posted 14 years ago
Zoom R16

just bought, it'a a fantastic product, for just 320-340£

- audio interface 8 inputs
- portable recorder with 16-track playback and 8-track simultaneous recording
- DSP with over 100 built-in studio effects and guitar amp
- Controller with Mackie control emulation

...;)
Nicola

Status S2-Classic 5 headed
Status Stealth II 5 headed
Status S2000

Status Series II 6 headed (sold)
Status Energy 5 (sold)
sgh42sgh42
Posted 14 years ago

ciubecca wrote:
Zoom R16

just bought, it'a a fantastic product, for just 320-340£

- audio interface 8 inputs
- portable recorder with 16-track playback and 8-track simultaneous recording
- DSP with over 100 built-in studio effects and guitar amp
- Controller with Mackie control emulation

...;)

Spooky ! That's what I'd picked out originally & then I thought I should find out more before I bought something. Don't suppose you use your's with a Mac & Snow Leopard do you ?

Cheers
Steve
ciubeccaciubecca
Posted 14 years ago
I've Bought days 4 ago, still not tried with Snow Leopard, but should works...

MOTU is surely a better professional recording interface, but IMHO is more a product for producer / engeneer.

Zoom R16 is intuitive, fast and perfect product for musician and to "play and record music".
You can use like a mixer for home-jam session (with good pream and fx), like a portable recorder or like interface.

It' reallly plug'n play (music) :D

You can expand it to 16 tracks recording, connecting with another R16.

I've a M-audio fast Track Pro too, but Zoom R16 is now my favourite Jam/recording tool :)
Nicola

Status S2-Classic 5 headed
Status Stealth II 5 headed
Status S2000

Status Series II 6 headed (sold)
Status Energy 5 (sold)
Edited by ciubecca on 15-11-2009 00:56, 14 years ago
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator