Trace Elliot strings

Last updated on 18 years ago
E
energy3542
Posted 18 years ago
Dear friends and Status-hard-core-fanatics,
when I bought my Energy bass it was nicely equipped with Trace Elliot strings. I really loved them: the set had tapered E and A strings and, so far, they remain my favourite strings ever. I can’t find them in shops anymore, though, and I’m forced to play other kind of strings.
Can anybody tell me if there are strings which are really similar to those?
Thanks
RobJRobJ
Posted 18 years ago
I love TE strings as well and use them on my T-Bass. I managed to buy 6 sets on EBay last year, but I don't know of a good substitute. I'd be interested to know if there is another brand out there that's close as my stash of strings is beginning to dwindle...:(
Chris kChris k
Posted 18 years ago
I heard at one time people thought they were repackaged Rotosounds, that might be a good place to start!
Gear

Status Series II #487
ACG Harlot Singlecut (#36 - the first one made)
Kubicki Ex Factor #1659
Ashdown MK500 Mark King combo amp

Crossfire/Strategy

Powered by COSWORTH
RobJRobJ
Posted 18 years ago
I didn't know Rotosound made tapered strings, but on the other hand I learn something everyday and it is possible they were a special run just for Trace. :D
E
energy3542
Posted 18 years ago

Chris K wrote:
I heard at one time people thought they were repackaged Rotosounds, that might be a good place to start!

Thanks Chris!
I actually had a look on the Rotosound web catalogue but I couldn't find anything similar to TE strings...:(
Sad situation...
RobJRobJ
Posted 18 years ago
I just noticed Labella makes tapered SS stings; http://www.labella.com/. The Super Steps are one kind.

I think I'll email Paul Stevens at Trace, he may know who sourced their old strings.
RobJRobJ
Posted 18 years ago
Email response from Paul Stevens at Trace:

" Originally it was one of the Kaman music divisions then later Gibson. But they were made to our specifications so I doubt the standard ones available will be the same. "

It looks like we TE string fans are out of luck on direct replacements. I think I'm going to order up a few different brands that are similar in specs to the Trace strings to see if I can find something that might work as a substitute.

RobJ
Edited by RobJ on 29-05-2006 07:21, 18 years ago
MisterpinkMisterpink
Veteran Member
Posted 18 years ago
Guys

Get yourselves down to the Bass Cellar in Denmark Street...... I was there playing at the 12 Bar Club on Saturday night.... I looked in the window and they must have had about 150 packs as part of the window display!!!!!

Misterpink
E
energy3542
Posted 18 years ago
Great job, RobJ! B)
Thanks a lot!
Unfortunately we will be forced to look somewhere else. :(
I may try LaBella or DR tapered strings. Ken Smith is producing tapered strings as well (but B and E only).
And I'll wait for your precious suggestions...
;)
E
energy3542
Posted 18 years ago

misterpink wrote:
Get yourselves down to the Bass Cellar in Denmark Street...I looked in the window and they must have had about 150 packs as part of the window display!!!!!

Wow!
I hope they have an on-line shop as well.
Thank you!
RobJRobJ
Posted 18 years ago
If anyone is interested in acquiring some ball end TE strings let me know. They won't work for my basses but I thought I'd check to see if anyone here might like them.

Well done Misterpink, now if only I was a tad closer I'd catch the next bus to Denmark Street. :D
E
energy3542
Posted 18 years ago

RobJ wrote: Well done Misterpink, now if only I was a tad closer I'd catch the next bus to Denmark Street. :D

...so would I, of course...
;)
E
energy3542
Posted 18 years ago

misterpink wrote:
Get yourselves down to the Bass Cellar in Denmark Street...I looked in the window and they must have had about 150 packs as part of the window display!!!!!

I asked an England-based friend of mine to check out Bass Cellar. He went there and it turned out that the shop got all Kaman's stock after the company shutdown (RobJ already mentioned TE strings were actually manufactured by Kaman). They do not have G-40 sets anymore and they are pretty sure that we are not going to find them anywhere on the planet. TE strings are sadly gone forever...:(

...RobJ, now that we are sure of this, we need plan B...B)
RobJRobJ
Posted 18 years ago
I wish there was an obvious plan B. I suppose the best we can do is to continue trying various brands of strings searching for one that works as a suitable substitute.

Other than the strings being stainless steel and taper round wound, what do we know about them? I've never unraveled one of the strings to see what the core looks like. It seems to me that if we had that information as well we could narrow the list of contenders down considerably.
MisterpinkMisterpink
Veteran Member
Posted 18 years ago
If i remember rightly the core is hex...... I'll have a look at the set i got and report back!!
RobJRobJ
Posted 18 years ago
That would be great. Thanks Mr.P. :D
SteveSteve
Fusioneer
Posted 18 years ago
Status S2 5 String Fretless 'Moo-wood'
Status S1000 rebuild
Fender Strat - Fretted
Shadow Superstrat Guitar - Fretless
Ibanez RG Electric of some sort
Avalon As-101CE Electro-Acoustic Guitar

I've owned 5 Statii so far, with 2 at present....
RobJRobJ
Posted 18 years ago
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.............!!!!!

;)
SteveSteve
Fusioneer
Posted 18 years ago
*puts fist in mouth* :(
Status S2 5 String Fretless 'Moo-wood'
Status S1000 rebuild
Fender Strat - Fretted
Shadow Superstrat Guitar - Fretless
Ibanez RG Electric of some sort
Avalon As-101CE Electro-Acoustic Guitar

I've owned 5 Statii so far, with 2 at present....
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator