KB MK-II custom

Last updated on 15 years ago
stenobassstenobass
Veteran Member
Posted 15 years ago
Ciao a tutti!

I am really tempted to place an order for a new KB MK-II, but with a headless neck + BW and a pair of soapbar humbuckers, Rob said this is possible.

I know that some of you are familiar with Photoshop so I would be very interested to see how this version of the MK-II would look like. As I am not able to use Photoshop I hope that someone here can do this...On the Status website there are only the prototypes that are headed and sport J-type pups...

Thanks in advance to whoever will post a pic!

Stefano
G
Gruntfuttock
Posted 15 years ago
This is what I'm thinking too but with the jazz pickups inside soapbar cases and a 5 string version. The jazz pickups just look visually swamped by the size of the body.
special-boyspecial-boy
Posted 15 years ago
Here you go...
www.sprout.uk.com/images/KB2_headless.jpg
G
Gruntfuttock
Posted 15 years ago
thats a marginal improvement!
Angry-CanuckAngry-Canuck
Fusioneer
Posted 15 years ago
Good job!
Can you do the same in a darker colour? B)
4 Asians, 2 Brits, 1 French and also some basses
G
Gruntfuttock
Posted 15 years ago
with a 5 string neck? :) I think the 5 string neck is going to look proportionately better.
special-boyspecial-boy
Posted 15 years ago
OK, guys I have done a couple of darker ones. However, I am stacked out with work at the moment and I have looming deadlines, so don't have time to do a fiver. If I do, I will at a later date, or if someone else has time please feel free. I can send you the layered PSD file I have if it helps.

Cheers

Keith
sprout.uk.com/images/KB2_headless_1.jpg

sprout.uk.com/images/KB2_headless_2.jpg
Angry-CanuckAngry-Canuck
Fusioneer
Posted 15 years ago
Thanks Keith!!
special-boyspecial-boy
Posted 15 years ago
OK. One more, then I really have to stop work avoiding.

I like the KB2 bass - never a fan of the first KB. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool S2 shape fan.

However - sorry Rob - I would just change the shape a tiny bit. I think it is just a bit too wide and would benefit from being slightly skinnier, so are my thoughts on how I'd want it.

www.sprout.uk.com/images/KB2_headless_3.jpg
Edited by special-boy on 29-10-2008 22:53, 15 years ago
EdmoukEdmouk
Posted 15 years ago
Wow ! They really look great headless, even better than the KB MKI. Good job Special-boy !
MisterpinkMisterpink
Veteran Member
Posted 15 years ago
Nah!
Essex..... Home of the Bass!!!!

UK Award Winning Wedding/Function Band:www.5catfish.com

HOT SAUCE Disco/Funk/Rare Groove covers band:www.HotSauceDisco.com

Sponsors
www.k-array.com/
www.gallien-krueger.com
www.purple-chili.com
i112.photobucket.com/albums/n182/crez5150/JayCramphorneavt.jpg
Angry-CanuckAngry-Canuck
Fusioneer
Posted 15 years ago

special-boy wrote:
OK. One more, then I really have to stop work avoiding.

I like the KB2 bass - never a fan of the first KB. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool S2 shape fan.

However - sorry Rob - I would just change the shape a tiny bit. I think it is just a bit too wide and would benefit from being slightly skinnier, so are my thoughts on how I'd want it.

www.sprout.uk.com/images/KB2_headless_3.jpg

You have to actually hold the beast in your hands, very very very nice!
stenobassstenobass
Veteran Member
Posted 15 years ago
Thanks special-boy, great job!

It looks rather nice and now I am having a GAS attack!!
Q
quenbrad
Posted 15 years ago
Don't forget that all the KB MK-2 images we've seen so far have been of basses with 16.5mm string spacing. I think the whole bass will look much more in proportion with the standard 19mm spacing.
@
@mikepbass
Veteran Member
Posted 15 years ago
Looks very good indeed!
moomoo
Fusioneer
Posted 15 years ago

special-boy wrote:
OK, guys I have done a couple of darker ones. However, I am stacked out with work at the moment and I have looming deadlines, so don't have time to do a fiver. If I do, I will at a later date, or if someone else has time please feel free. I can send you the layered PSD file I have if it helps.

Cheers

Keith
sprout.uk.com/images/KB2_headless_1.jpg

sprout.uk.com/images/KB2_headless_2.jpg

Lovely work Keith!

I have to say, even though I've always been a headless kind 'a guy... With the bigger body, I think the head looks better!

I know I know... I may have a fever so in a couple of days I'll change my mind. until then, I'm going with the head!
Strata #05 - Status Series II #94 - Status Series II #147 - Status Series II #230 - Status Series II #487 - Status Series II 5 string #58 - Status Series 2000 #106 - Status Series 2000 #327 (FPPR) - Status Empathy #2009 ’93 - Status Empathy 5 string '95 - Status King Bass '06 moo wood - Status King Bass '07 moo wood fretless - Alembic MK Sig Deluxe '88 - Alembic Inside Out Brown Bass ’11 - JayDee Series I 'Starchild' '08 - JayDee Series I Cherry Red ’19 - Sei Bass Flamboyant - Sei Bass Flamboyant Offset - Ibanez SR2600 ’18 - Ibanez SRMS 805 ’19 - Ibanez SR1405 ’19 - Vigier Passion Series I #623 '88 - Vigier Arpege Series II #249 '84 - Vigier Arpege Series III #088 '86 - Shuker Custom Series 2 ‘08 - Warwick Thumb 4 TN '89
enzoenzo
Fusioneer
Posted 15 years ago
I have to agree with you, healdless looks weird.

Maybe the look would improve, like said above, with a 19mm string spacing and a larger neck.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
'13 Stealth
Angry-CanuckAngry-Canuck
Fusioneer
Posted 15 years ago
I am now pretty convinced of what I like.

Might have to hide it at your place for a while though Moo..:o
K
kolbola
Posted 15 years ago
:) It's so strange!
After when the first KB arrived, (in 2005) I sent a mail to Rob with my Photoshop idea with the longer upper horn and headed design, longer scale lenght and a little bit forward position pickups for the deeper and harder sound. After this, I wrote on this site and attached a pic with my "dreambass". Some of the topic members said: nice, but we like the original design. When I saw the first pic from the KB2 I said, this what I wanted! The my version was just a photoshop creature, but the real one is far better than my idea. The shape, the look, the whole design are so nice.
And I find this topic with your photoshop work which would like to send back the whole design to the KB1 era. Bendwell, soapbar and medium scale lenght.
Interesting.
The only two things what I would like to change (or customized) are the pu's config from J/J to P/J and the wood selection from alder/wenge/maple to ash/wenge/maple or bubinga/wenge/maple and from walnut/maple/cocobolo to mahogany/maple/cocobolo.
(Ok. The pu config is not so important. I really like the P/J design, my Yamaha BB1100 has a custom P/J pus, but I like the MM humbackers alone and in pair, or with PB pickup, or a pair of Retroglide wide soapbars, etc etc...)

I like this new KB2 design.
Angry-CanuckAngry-Canuck
Fusioneer
Posted 15 years ago

kolbola wrote:
:) It's so strange!
After when the first KB arrived, (in 2005) I sent a mail to Rob with my Photoshop idea with the longer upper horn and headed design, longer scale lenght and a little bit forward position pickups for the deeper and harder sound. After this, I wrote on this site and attached a pic with my "dreambass". Some of the topic members said: nice, but we like the original design. When I saw the first pic from the KB2 I said, this what I wanted! The my version was just a photoshop creature, but the real one is far better than my idea. The shape, the look, the whole design are so nice.
And I find this topic with your photoshop work which would like to send back the whole design to the KB1 era. Bendwell, soapbar and medium scale lenght.
Interesting.
The only two things what I would like to change (or customized) are the pu's config from J/J to P/J and the wood selection from alder/wenge/maple to ash/wenge/maple or bubinga/wenge/maple and from walnut/maple/cocobolo to mahogany/maple/cocobolo.
(Ok. The pu config is not so important. I really like the P/J design, my Yamaha BB1100 has a custom P/J pus, but I like the MM humbackers alone and in pair, or with PB pickup, or a pair of Retroglide wide soapbars, etc etc...)

I like this new KB2 design.

\

Show us your design...
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.