Choices choices........ some advice please.

Last updated on 15 years ago
hazb74hazb74
Posted 16 years ago
Hi All,

I need some advice. I have been playing bass for about 18 years now, most of the time being very content with my Musicman Stingrays (I have had 4, now only 1).

Last year I borrowed a mid 90's 5 string Energy and I went crazy, never before had I held a bass in my hand that was just so balanced and tight.... so I bought it. Anyway, long story... I am now a very big Status fan.

Bought a 5 string Smartbass of Rob earlier this year and am planning of placing an order later this year for another 5 string. But which one?????

Although I do slap, most of my playing is done finger style. The Smartbass has the S2 electronics and I must say I am pretty chuffed with that.

Does anyone have any tips for me? I'd be looking at max. +/-2500 GBP I'd want to spend. Or maybe someone has a good 2nd hand 5 string Status???

Any input is appreciated.:D
rgds, Harry AKA Sarcastic Bastard

My gear:
'07 Status S2 5
'96 Status Energy 5
'08 Status Smartbass 5
'06 Status/Musicman Stingray 5
Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 Amp
Genz Benz Neo X 212T
SteveSteve
Fusioneer
Posted 16 years ago
Unless you get the chance to play a Kingbass first I would steer you away from buying a custom one as many don't get on with the body shape and balance....

The S2 is probably the most versatile and popular model, pick yourself out a nice face-wood and just go nuts!
Status S2 5 String Fretless 'Moo-wood'
Status S1000 rebuild
Fender Strat - Fretted
Shadow Superstrat Guitar - Fretless
Ibanez RG Electric of some sort
Avalon As-101CE Electro-Acoustic Guitar

I've owned 5 Statii so far, with 2 at present....
@
@mikepbass
Veteran Member
Posted 16 years ago
Hey there and welcome. If you max limit is 2500 GBP I would recommend to you the Kingbass Artists. For 2500, you can get a five string model with or without bendwell and either front or side LEDs.

You will not be disappointed on whatever bass you choose.

Good luck and Regards.
hazb74hazb74
Posted 16 years ago

Mike wrote:
Hey there and welcome. If you max limit is 2500 GBP I would recommend to you the Kingbass Artists. For 2500, you can get a five string model with or without bendwell and either front or side LEDs.

You will not be disappointed on whatever bass you choose.

Good luck and Regards.

Thanks for the advice. I decided to go with the S2, headed and bolt-on. I was lucky, I was able to buy an alsmost new (2007) S2 for only GBP 900. BARGAIN!

My gear:
'07 Status S2 5
'96 Status Energy 5
'08 Status Smartbass 5
Genz Benz Neo X 212T
thumperthumper
Posted 15 years ago
Excellent choice my friend - enjoy!:)
...be kind to each other...
moomoo
Fusioneer
Posted 15 years ago
Lovely... Pictures please Harry!!
Strata #05 - Status Series II #94 - Status Series II #147 - Status Series II #230 - Status Series II #487 - Status Series II 5 string #58 - Status Series 2000 #106 - Status Series 2000 #327 (FPPR) - Status Empathy #2009 ’93 - Status Empathy 5 string '95 - Status King Bass '06 moo wood - Status King Bass '07 moo wood fretless - Alembic MK Sig Deluxe '88 - Alembic Inside Out Brown Bass ’11 - JayDee Series I 'Starchild' '08 - JayDee Series I Cherry Red ’19 - Sei Bass Flamboyant - Sei Bass Flamboyant Offset - Ibanez SR2600 ’18 - Ibanez SRMS 805 ’19 - Ibanez SR1405 ’19 - Vigier Passion Series I #623 '88 - Vigier Arpege Series II #249 '84 - Vigier Arpege Series III #088 '86 - Shuker Custom Series 2 ‘08 - Warwick Thumb 4 TN '89
hazb74hazb74
Posted 15 years ago

themoo wrote:
Lovely... Pictures please Harry!!

I bought it through the forum (Teggs5286).....

http://www.statii.com/forum/forum/vie...#post_9930

Just had my first gig with it....SWEET! The bass player in the other band had an active Jazz Bass (which indeed is something of a contraction in terms) and couldn't believe how tight the B sounded and how many different sounds I could get.

I am currently slowly but surely also fitting my Musicman Stingray with a Status neck, will surely send pics when ready.... that is also going to be one sweet bit of kit.

My gear:
'07 Status S2 5
'96 Status Energy 5
'08 Status Smartbass 5
Genz Benz Neo X 212T
You do not have access to view attachments
OutToPlayJazzOutToPlayJazz
Veteran Member
Posted 15 years ago
Nice looker, that new bass :)
Status S2-Classic, Enfield Lionheart Prototype, MusicMan Classic Sabre, Fender Classic Player Rascal
moomoo
Fusioneer
Posted 15 years ago
Lovely jubley!!
Strata #05 - Status Series II #94 - Status Series II #147 - Status Series II #230 - Status Series II #487 - Status Series II 5 string #58 - Status Series 2000 #106 - Status Series 2000 #327 (FPPR) - Status Empathy #2009 ’93 - Status Empathy 5 string '95 - Status King Bass '06 moo wood - Status King Bass '07 moo wood fretless - Alembic MK Sig Deluxe '88 - Alembic Inside Out Brown Bass ’11 - JayDee Series I 'Starchild' '08 - JayDee Series I Cherry Red ’19 - Sei Bass Flamboyant - Sei Bass Flamboyant Offset - Ibanez SR2600 ’18 - Ibanez SRMS 805 ’19 - Ibanez SR1405 ’19 - Vigier Passion Series I #623 '88 - Vigier Arpege Series II #249 '84 - Vigier Arpege Series III #088 '86 - Shuker Custom Series 2 ‘08 - Warwick Thumb 4 TN '89
Angry-CanuckAngry-Canuck
Fusioneer
Posted 15 years ago
Somebody's working on a nice little collection aren't they???

Nice! :)
4 Asians, 2 Brits, 1 French and also some basses
hazb74hazb74
Posted 15 years ago

Todd wrote:
Somebody's working on a nice little collection aren't they???

Nice! :)

Let's just say that I have some catching up to do with some of the guys on this forum.......;)

My gear:
'07 Status S2 5
'96 Status Energy 5
'08 Status Smartbass 5
Genz Benz Neo X 212T
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator