status pickups

Last updated on 17 years ago
strattybassstrattybass
Veteran Member
Posted 17 years ago
hi all i was wondering about the status pickups on my kb! the bass was made in 2001 which was before rob changed the design in 2003 i was wondering if there is any difference in sound and quality if i were to purchase the 2003 design?

thanks

Andy
E
eldad
Posted 17 years ago
I have a new S2 ,same pre-amp and pickups as the KB, so it has the 2003 pickups.
Before I ordered my bass I met a a bass player who has an S2 to check it out, his bass has the older version of the S2(and KB ) pick ups - like yours, I guess...(its written in red "hyperactives" on them).
His bass sounded beautiful and clear and perfect - just like mine;))
So I don't think you should worry... but I do have to say, I've never checked the two basses on the same time with the same amplification and the same "lab conditions", so my opinion is not "scientificly conclusive".
I hope Mr Silent-fly will answer your thread - he's the man who knows (he helped me not once...;))
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses."
Edited by eldad on 12-10-2007 05:14, 17 years ago
strattybassstrattybass
Veteran Member
Posted 17 years ago
thanks eldad! im sure there's no difference i'll put my credit back in my wallet!!

Andy
Silent FlySilent Fly
Posted 17 years ago

eldad wrote:
I hope Mr Silent-fly will answer your thread...

I discuss this with Rob during one of my visits to SG.

The case of the pickups and the magnet/coils are independent.

SG moved to a different form factor for the pickup cases essentialy because the actual size is an industry standard. It is the same size of the EMG 35 series. There is no other reason. In practical terms you can change SG pickups with EMG pickups (or vice versa) without re-routing the bass.

If you really want, it is possible to order a KB with pickups with the old "Hyperactive" case. They would sound exactly the same.

I'm not sure if the actual coil/magnet has changed when SG moved from the "Hyperactive" case to the EMG35 case. As far as I can remember, it hasn't but I'm not 100% I remember correctly.

Moreover, it is possible to order custom pickups. I discuss this with Rob as well but I suggest to ask Rob directly if you have any special needs.

I hope the above helps,
sfx sound - High Performance Audio
strattybassstrattybass
Veteran Member
Posted 17 years ago
hi silent fly thanks for clearing that up for me thats al i needed to know!

Andy
Edited by strattybass on 12-10-2007 06:34, 17 years ago
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator