Thread subject: STATII.COM: For all things Status-Graphite :: Hi from Australia

Posted by Paisley on 14-06-2020 14:17

Hey everyone, Status newbie here! Smile I recently picked up a Shark 5 String. Great little Bass; I was after a passive 5 String for recording (all my 5 Strings are active) & it came up for a good price, so I grabbed it. It was originally going to be purely for recording; however after doing a bit of a setup on it it's fast becoming one of my favourite Basses, so I'm going to look at gigging it a bit (once we actually get back to gigging that is....). Grin Has a few chips & nicks, & the pickguard looks like it's not only warped but shrunk as well, but it sounds & plays really nice. Just out of curiosity does anyone know how to decode the four digit serial numbers? From what I've read I'm pretty sure mine's a mid-90's model (tort pickguard with the single chrome pickup in the P bass position), but it'd be nice to know for sure. Cheers all. Smile

Edited by Paisley on 15-06-2020 00:55

Posted by moo on 15-06-2020 18:46

Welcome! Not even Rob understands the Serial Numbers he used!!! Grin Glad you're loving your Status. They are superb basses. If you have a look at 'The Database' you might be able to find another one similar to yours which might give clues to the age!

Posted by Paisley on 15-06-2020 19:30

moo wrote: Welcome! Not even Rob understands the Serial Numbers he used!!! Grin Glad you're loving your Status. They are superb basses. If you have a look at 'The Database' you might be able to find another one similar to yours which might give clues to the age!
Cheers; thanks for the reply. Smile Haha; yeah I suspected the serial number may have had little to nothing to do with the build date. Grin I'm curious more than anything else; I've seen a few other Sharks & they all had a printed six digit serial number, however mine just has an inked on 4 digit number (it's actually faded to the point where you can just barely read it). Good idea about the database; I'll go through it later & see if I can find any numbers in the same range as mine. Cheers! Smile

Edited by Paisley on 28-03-2024 02:48

Posted by moo on 16-06-2020 18:07

You can always ping Rob & Dawn. Sometimes they can shed some light on an older bass.