Thread subject: STATII.COM: For all things Status-Graphite :: my status won't play anymore...

Posted by olemagnar on 26-04-2006 07:17

My son and I are sharing a status bass for several years. One evening he was doing rehersals with his band, for a gig, and after he had finished, I was going to practice with my band. He playd the bass until I came to pick it up. I drove ten minutes to my rehersal location, plugged in, and.....not a sound.!!! I have tried to replace the volume pot. But that did not do the job. Can it be the jack outlet from the bass...? Have anybody experienced similar things with status basses, or other basses for that matter...?

Posted by Steve on 26-04-2006 07:27

Replacing the jack plug would be my best guess (I assume you've tested with another instrument lead, new batteries, etc) They can sometimes become loose internally (one of my older basses stopped working because of this). Or if you dont want to replace it, just touch the tip of your jack lead to the signal wire coming out of your preamp board. Whats the bass?

Posted by G-77 on 26-04-2006 08:48

it could be the batteries, mine went 1/2 way through a rehearsal, & the bass just fizzed out in 30 seconds. Stupid question but you didnt change you jack lead to one with a stereo jack on it? as that will stop the active circuit working. I did have a wire come away from a switch on my Wal once.

Posted by olemagnar on 26-04-2006 09:26

thank you Steve, for your kind response. I understand that you are trying to explain to me, how to bypass the jack outlet, in order to find out if the failure is in the jack socket. I tried to touch the +marked point on the circuit board, with the signal cable conected to my amp. This creates a noice similar to when I touch the tip of the cable with my fingers whith the cable connected to the amp., and the amp turned on. I think I should consider asking a technical gifted friend with a multimeter, to try to approach this problem in a more sofisticated way than I am able to..... I am living on the countyside, so it is not easy to get proffessional help on these matters. I love playing my status, but I hate it when it's not working! It has been a pleasure in very many years, and I hope I will be able to solve this, so we can get back in business, me and my bass. I am not quite sure what bass I have.... But I think it is from the 2000 series. There is no such information written on it, and it is many years old, and I don't know where I put the documents which followed the bass when I bought it.... 5 string, bolt on neck, bright switch, bass boost, treble boost, volume control and balance control between pickups. Tried to take a picture of it with my mobile, but too bad quality. Will try to take a picture later with a digital camera.

Posted by olemagnar on 26-04-2006 09:37

Thank you G-77. I have tried to replace the battery. And no, it is not a stereo jack cable Wink

Posted by moo on 26-04-2006 11:04

Have you suddenly gone deaf?? Shock it happened to my grandfather a few years ago... just about the same time he had a heart attack and died!! deaf as a post! feel free to hurl abuse at me right now!!! Smile

Posted by Steve on 26-04-2006 11:31

No, the + sign would be the power pad from the battery - not good for your amp at all Pfft If you take the back plate off, follow the wires coming from the back of the jack socket to where they connect to the board. One of these will be the signal output. The other will be earth (and should either make no noise, or hum)

Posted by olemagnar on 27-04-2006 10:09

Thank you again Steve. I'll try to work some more during the weekend. I'll keep you posted.Smile

Posted by G-77 on 27-04-2006 10:24

given that its an older bass, have you checked the battery connector for corrosion? Its a bit of a long shot, but could you post a photo of the wiring in the cavity, maybe it might help us problem solve. Trev.

Posted by RobJ on 27-04-2006 13:50

LOL @ Mr. Moo.... Grin Ok ok.. I'll quit encouraging him.Wink I've had a pickup go open before, obviously not likely to happen to both pickups at the same time but if your bass has a single pickup you may want to break out the DMM and test across the pickup leads for measurable resistance to eliminate that possibility.

Posted by olemagnar on 24-05-2006 10:58

Case closed. I replaced the whole complete circuit board, and voila, the bass is playing beautiful again. :p By the way: My son has bought his own bass. A real beauty. Graphite neck through body. 5 string. Empathy. Modified with Bartolini electronics, 2x9V, but still with the unbeatable action and playability of a real Status. Wait until you see pictures..... So now we have two perfectly working Status basses. Family life is changing from deep sorrow to pure happyness within a few weeks...Grin

Posted by Steve on 24-05-2006 11:32

Hehe - Good to hear Smile