Thread subject: STATII.COM: For all things Status-Graphite :: Lefty plays Righty

Posted by hazb74 on 14-09-2008 01:17

I just noticed the Lefty Forum...... we left handers rule. Although statistically we die sooner and are stressed out more, we are more creative (Rob must be a lefty in disguise) and slightly more intelligent. At least I'd like to think so......Grin Still on to my main point, I am a left who plays righty...... when I started I borrowed a right handed bass and just went and stayed with it. I also play golf and cricket right handed, but tennis left handed. STRANGE!!!!!!! I am wondering if there are any others like myself out there......????!!!

Posted by andre on 14-09-2008 01:45

Well actually I am a lefty and play bass and guitar with my right hand! Maybe we are related ???? Wink

Posted by bassbus on 14-09-2008 02:23

Afence taken! Wink Time I got off it as well. Frown

Posted by hazb74 on 14-09-2008 07:34

GuitarRebel wrote: Sometimes strange is good. I'm also a lefty who plays righty, but for a different reason. When I was a lad, left handed guitars were scarce, and when you could find one, they cost a small fortune. I've always considered it an advantage. It blows peoples minds if I flip mine over and start playing upside down left handed. And I totally understand your lefty comments. However, it's best we keep it low key. We are part of a small, select group known as the Left Handed Brethren, not to be confused in any way with the Right Handed Heathen. Alright now, if I've unintentionally offended anyone with my bit o humor, hit me with your best shot!
You mean you actually play lefty, on a righty by flipping it upside down???? A mate of mine does that too, you should see the look on people's eyes when he does that.......... I think Jimmy Haslip of the Yellowjackets does it too.

Posted by Fat Rich on 13-01-2010 09:33

Yup, I'm left handed but play right handed bass and guitar. I also play a right handed drumkit but I don't play crossed (only drummers could think playing with their arms crossed all the time is "normal"Wink. I think for bass and particularly guitar with a pick, it makes perfect sense to have your most dexterous hand on the fingerboard.

Posted by Silent Fly on 13-01-2010 09:38

Fat Rich wrote: Yup, I'm left handed but play right handed bass and guitar. I also play a right handed drumkit but I don't play crossed (only drummers could think playing with their arms crossed all the time is "normal"Wink. I think for bass and particularly guitar with a pick, it makes perfect sense to have your most dexterous hand on the fingerboard.
Interesting... I am left handed but I play right handed (like Mark King BTW). As you, when I play drums I play right hand kits but I don't play crossed (the ride is above the high-hat though).

Posted by Fat Rich on 13-01-2010 09:43

I currently have my ride in the normal right hand position but I'm thinking of having a symetrical setup with a different sounding ride on my left too. Are we allowed to talk drums here?!! I often end up talking bass on vdrums.com!

Posted by JonasOfBorg on 14-01-2010 01:06

Another lefty playing right hand here. Same reason as hazb74 plus the fact that my classical guitar teacher could not teach me to play left-handed!!! (silly sod: opposite you, hence just mirror everything). I am still grateful for that however as I have a very fast fret hand.Wink

Edited by JonasOfBorg on 14-01-2010 01:16

Posted by Angry-Canuck on 14-01-2010 12:30

I am a lefty playing right handed as well, yet I still suck!! GrinGrinGrin

Posted by Danny on 14-01-2010 18:41

your all freaks of nature.

Posted by Fat Rich on 14-01-2010 23:27

Danny wrote: your all freaks of nature.
Lefties are not freaks of nature, but if you mean drummers..... Wink

Posted by jimhutt on 15-01-2010 01:11

Inversely, I'm right handed yet I play a left handed bass. I have an older brother who is left handed. He bought his first 6-string guitar which was, of course, left handed. Being the only guitar in the house I picked it up and started teaching myself how to play bass. From that acoustic 6-string I went on to a proper 4-string left handed bass. From there to a 5-string, and now a 6 string bass. The six-string is my pride and joy and also happens to be a Status S2.

Posted by youngjr1 on 15-01-2010 03:59

All of you people are strange....I actually use both hands when playing the bass. Grin

Posted by Angry-Canuck on 15-01-2010 09:06

Hmmm, I am willing to try that, it might improve my playing, thanks for the tip Michael!!

Posted by Phantom NIN on 16-01-2010 07:06

Stragely I am left handed and play right handed (not upside down or anything flash). But my choice is even odder as my index finger is only half there (lost it in an accident when I was young) which makes some stretches on the fretboard a real pain. The only justifaction was that the guy in the music shop didn't have any left handers and I was impatient as a teenager.