Thread subject: STATII.COM: For all things Status-Graphite :: Mini Canadian Statii meet

Posted by Angry-Canuck on 07-09-2008 10:08

Well, I just came back from a 500 km drive (each way) to Gatineau Quebec to meet Don Prince. Let me say firstly, Don is a really great guy, he and his wife went out of their way to accomodate my wife and I, making sure we were taken care of and also making sure we felt very welcome in his home and social environment despite this being a very busy time in his life, Thanks so much Don. statii.com/forum/images/smiley/man_bowing.gif I had a feeling from my conversations with Don previously, that he would be an impressive player. But I had NO idea how impressive he actually is. From the moment his band started their first set, to the last note played, was nothing short of breathtaking!!! The only way I could describe his band ( Spyral Jones) is to imagine UZEB with some spice added, and then kick it up another notch. I can not emphasize enough, this band is deadly. It was like watching an action film the didn't stop until the final credits. There was not a single bar of music that gave me a chance to blink. Don is a f***ing weapon on bass, he has truly made that 6 string Status his bitch. Incorporating almost every style you could want to play, seemlessly and tastefully into his all original sets, the audience (surprisingly my wife included) were equally blown away. Without any doubt, this is the guy, and the band that you will have to own a CD of when available. After picking my jaw up from the floor, I was pleasantly surprised at the down to earth nature of every member in his band as well. Amazing multidimensional musicians, great personalities, and they compliment each others playing to a point that you feel like your watching a tennis match. Anyhow, I really was stunned, and that hasn't happened since I saw UZEB play Barrymores about 15 years ago. This morning I went to Dons for coffee, checked out some of his beautiful collection of basses, and brought my Retroglide for him to try. Here is the master taking his first crack at a Kingbass i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk173/mazdaguy42/IMG_3519.jpg Here is the Mini Canadian Statii meeting i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk173/mazdaguy42/IMG_3530.jpg Here I am trying so hard to pretend I can play Don's main axe, I am not worthy! As you can see, no shortage of basses, and an excess of strings!! i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk173/mazdaguy42/IMG_3526.jpg Now this is even more rediculous for me, 7 strings!!! Ah....I dont think so, after seeing Don play, I feel embarassed to play a 4 stringer!! i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk173/mazdaguy42/IMG_3527.jpg And finally, a band I have instantly become a huge fan of Spyral Jones i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk173/mazdaguy42/IMG_3495.jpg Once again, thank you very much Don for everything, you incredibly humble man. Next stop, UK in 2 days!!!

Edited by Angry-Canuck on 07-09-2008 10:40

Posted by moo on 07-09-2008 11:19

Good stuff!! Great when cool people meet. Don, you're a git for being such a good bass player... Damn you. Todd, you're a very lucky boy to get to mess with those stunning basses!! Don't worry Todd, you're coming here next. There's no sign of a good bass player here in my place!! Grin

Edited by moo on 07-09-2008 11:22

Posted by Angry-Canuck on 07-09-2008 11:25

themoo wrote: Todd, you're a very lucky boy to get to mess with those stunning basses!! Don't worry Todd, you're coming here next. There's no sign of a good bass player here in my place!! Grin
Indeed I am lucky and extremely greatful to Don and his wife for welcoming us into their beautiful home. Save the modesty bud, Don was also quick to point out his admiration for your song! :p

Posted by G-77 on 07-09-2008 12:15

themoo wrote: Don't worry Todd, you're coming here next. There's no sign of a good bass player here in my place!! Grin
invite me round and there definitely wont be a good player in the house!! GrinGrin

Posted by enzo on 07-09-2008 13:41

That's cool guys ! I'm really happy for you Smile And that's only the beginning of the trip ! Talking about the 6 and 7 strings, I can read Don's smile when he has your KB in his hands like : "hey what's this little thing here, a joke ?" Grin

Posted by Angry-Canuck on 07-09-2008 22:39

enzo wrote: Talking about the 6 and 7 strings, I can read Don's smile when he has your KB in his hands like : "hey what's this little thing here, a joke ?" Grin
I have never met a more humble man than Don, quite inspiring.

Posted by fran on 08-09-2008 00:49

todd, didnt you use to wear some hair on your head at times......? (avatar,youtube) ..... or it might be just the new canadian hairstyle Grin nice basses there, did you guys not take a familypic of all the ladies on the carpet?

Posted by Don Prince on 08-09-2008 01:18

Well, look at what this statii site has done. Two complete strangers have become acquainted, met & had a great time talking music, Status & life. Todd & his wife, Chris, turned out to be two great individuals, easy going & fun to be with. My wife & I had a truly good time in their company. Thank you Todd for all the nice complements on behalf of myself & all of the band members, you are a very generous & encouraging individual with a great sense of humour. I enjoyed our time togheter & look foward to our next mini-canadian meeting. I know Todd is leaving for England this week to meet up with Themoo & a bunch of others from up yonder, I know you will like & enjoy his company. And talking about being humble, Todd is a much better bass player then he thinks, he is right up there with the rest of us who struggle to better ourself at being the best we can be in this way to competative world & our busy scheduals. Thanks again Todd, the pleasure was all mine, Don.

Posted by Don Prince on 08-09-2008 01:31

Enzo wrote ; Talking about the 6 and 7 strings, I can read Don's smile when he has your KB in his hands like : "hey what's this little thing here, a joke ?" No way mate, I enjoy any quantities of strings, it's never about how many strings a bass has, but what the musician does with it. Some of our greatest bass players play on the forever beautifull 4 stringer. The smile on my face is trying to cover up my ecstasy in having my very first taste at a real King bass & a Retroglide to boot. It is so much more beautifull in the flesh than on any pics, thank you Todd for this memorable moment. My wife even said that I should get one of those for me-self, we'll see... Don.GrinGrinGrinGrinGrinWinkWinkWinkWink

Edited by Don Prince on 08-09-2008 01:33

Posted by enzo on 08-09-2008 02:26

Smile I know, I know, I was just kidding around ! My wife even said that I should get one of those for me-self, we'll see... Now this is the kind of wife we all need ! Lucky boy ! Grin

Posted by Jassco on 08-09-2008 02:59

Just a question about the stunning S2 6 : I've never saw a S2 with a matching-headstock, Is that true wood or composite as the fretoard?

Posted by Angry-Canuck on 08-09-2008 04:08

franbam42 wrote: todd, didnt you use to wear some hair on your head at times......? (avatar,youtube) ..... or it might be just the new Canadian hairstyle Grin nice basses there, did you guys not take a familypic of all the ladies on the carpet?
Youtube avatar? Perhaps it was a picture of me when I was young, I have had my head shaved for several years now, due to my hair style limitations! Its not a Canadian thing, but coincidentally, women seem to like it, lol. Here's a couple of pics from my time in the candy store i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk173/mazdaguy42/IMG_3514.jpg i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk173/mazdaguy42/IMG_3515.jpg As you can see, Don keeps all of his gear in impeccable condition. When I first walked in to his home and saw those basses, I felt like a 12 year old. The most embarassing part is wanting to play the basses he has, but not wanting him to see how hack my playing is relative to him. I am still blown away. Cool The Mapl on the headstock of his 6 string is real, btw.

Posted by fran on 08-09-2008 06:32

oh man, that's a lot of wood in there. candystore is the perfect term of that place. thanks for sharing Smile btw, the retroglide looks kind of outer space there Wink

Posted by moo on 08-09-2008 07:01

I'm not too sure Don getting his 'snake' out is appropriate BUT each to their own!! 'One for the ladies' I guess!! Grin

Posted by Jassco on 08-09-2008 08:31

The Mapl on the headstock of his 6 string is real, btw.
Well it does look very nice! That's an option that I'll consider next time...

Posted by Angry-Canuck on 08-09-2008 08:47

franbam42 wrote: oh man, that's a lot of wood in there. Wink
I am not used to that comment from a guy, but thanks just the same! Grin

Posted by Don Prince on 08-09-2008 13:19

Jassco wrote: Just a question about the stunning S2 6 : I've never saw a S2 with a matching-headstock, Is that true wood or composite as the fretoard?
This bass is made with a satinwood top & matching headstock, the fret board is the maple/phenolic wich is advertised on the Status site. The bass is also equiped with a tremolo unit from Khaler, thanks again Rob. Don. Smile

Posted by Don Prince on 08-09-2008 13:26

enzo wrote: Smile I know, I know, I was just kidding around ! My wife even said that I should get one of those for me-self, we'll see... Now this is the kind of wife we all need ! Lucky boy ! Grin
My wife is the most beautifull person I have ever met, full of encouragements & support at any time no matter how difficult the situation. She shares my passion for music at my level & backs me up at every turn. Yes, I agree, this is the kind of wife all aspiring musicians need & deserve. Be well & play harder & harder people..... Don.

Posted by Don Prince on 08-09-2008 13:39

themoo wrote: I'm not too sure Don getting his 'snake' out is appropriate BUT each to their own!! 'One for the ladies' I guess!! Grin
Protection, I had to make sure nobody stepped on the bassessssssssssss !

Posted by enzo on 08-09-2008 13:50

Don Prince wrote:

enzo wrote: Smile I know, I know, I was just kidding around ! My wife even said that I should get one of those for me-self, we'll see... Now this is the kind of wife we all need ! Lucky boy ! Grin
My wife is the most beautifull person I have ever met, full of encouragements & support at any time no matter how difficult the situation. She shares my passion for music at my level & backs me up at every turn. Yes, I agree, this is the kind of wife all aspiring musicians need & deserve. Be well & play harder & harder people..... Don.
Nice ! Again, lucky boy ! My wife is improving on music but she's still asking me why do I need a 2nd bass Frown I guess she has a lot to learn ! Grin