Thread subject: STATII.COM: For all things Status-Graphite :: Kingbass dilemma..your experiences!

Posted by Silent Fly on 14-02-2008 06:41

gibbs wrote:(...) As for your note about bendwell and string tension though...if my physics serves me correct, to get the same note on an open string (e.g an open E at 41.2 Hz?), you would need a lower string tension on a 32" scale than a 34" scale as it's dependent on the distance between the bridge and nut - the bendwell is past the nut so doesn;t affect the tuning of the string. I stand to be corrected of course ..but I didn;t notice the lower string tension on the 32" ...
It doesn't effect the pitch but it effects the string tension. I believe (but I am not sure why) a 32" scale with 32" strings and 32" scale with 34" strings is not the same thing in terms of string tension. Fodera builds some of his 5 strings with an unusual arrangement of the tuners in order to get some extra length on the headstock. If you look the Lincoln Goines Signature Bass (33" scale) you will notice that the B string tuner is after the A tuner (the sequence is E, A, B on one side and D, G on the other side of the headstock). Apparently this changes the tension on the B string compared the the standard tuner location. Another way to see it is this (and this is pure speculation – I may be completely wrong). Imagine two theoretical basses. The fist with 32" scale and 32" strings. The second, 32" scale and 52" strings (20" of extra strings). If you apply the same string tension to both basses they will not sound the same. In order to have the second bass to sound with the same pitch of the first bass, it is necessary to apply more tension to the strings in order to balance the extra 20" of strings that do not produce any sound but that require to accumulate the energy for the entire string to oscillate.