Thread subject: STATII.COM: For all things Status-Graphite :: Kingbass dilemma..your experiences!

Posted by gibbs on 14-02-2008 05:02

Silent Fly wrote:

themoo wrote:(...) When Max (silentfly) ordered his moo wood King Bass he was pretty certain he wanted 19mm spacing (he has fingers like the arms of the face hugger from Alien)(...)
Grin Grin I have long fingers (see picture below) but I don't find the reduced scale length to be a problem - I actually like it on a king bass. The KB has an unusual balance and the shorter scale helps to mitigate the effect of shorter upper horn. For this reason, personally, I would never buy a 34” KB. Usually, shorter scale basses have a shorter sustain but in the case of SG basses, the graphite balances out the theoretical reduced sustain. Moreover, the bendwell keeps the strings length to 34”. I believe this helps to keep the strings nicely in tension. Regarding the 19mm vs 16.5mm string spacing, I went to SG to try both string spacing and to be honest, I was able to switch between the two without any problem. It took me only 2 minutes every time to get used to the different string spacing. I am happy I have a 19mm KB because my long fingers are slightly more comfortable with wider string spacing especially when I play fast pizzicato phrases. Ideally, I would have liked a string spacing of 18mm but only because it would have been the same of my S2 6 strings.
Silentfly - those look like my hands ! ...I'm thinking 32" scale with 19mm spacing might be a wise choice.. As for your note about bendwell and string tension though...if my physics serves me correct, to get the same note on an open string (e.g an open E at 41.2 Hz?), you would need a lower string tension on a 32" scale than a 34" scale as it's dependent on the distance between the bridge and nut - the bendwell is past the nut so doesn;t affect the tuning of the string. I stand to be corrected of course ..but I didn;t notice the lower string tension on the 32" ...