Thread subject: STATII.COM: For all things Status-Graphite :: Kingbass dilemma..your experiences!

Posted by moo on 13-02-2008 11:53

Mike Prince wrote: Hi gibbs and welcome ot the forum. The string spacing depends on what youre used to - so, if you have used the 19mm for your entire life, then stay that way, as youll only be disappinted once its been made and you cant get on with the string spacing. I am using at the moment a kingbass artist thru neck (with the whole shizzle) with a 32" scale (with bandwell) and 19mm string spacing, and she is a beuty to play. However, I am currently in a deal with another member of this forum which i will HOPEFULLY (GrinCoolGrin) be getting another kingbass with 32" scale but the 16.5mm spacing. I have nevr tried it in my life, but, it looks so comfy! All the best, im sure your bass will be amazing whatever spacing and scale length you choose. All the best Mike
Well Mike, I have to say that I disagree with you somewhat. I have used standard 19mm spacing all my life with standard scale length. When I got the chance to have a brand new King Bass I was keen to see what 16.5 was like as I don't have big fat fingers. The second I played it I fell in love and so whenever I have the choice, I will pick 16.5mm. So, really there is no advice as good as 'find someone with a 16.5mm spacing and try it out for a while'. You really wont know until you try. When Max (silentfly) ordered his moo wood King Bass he was pretty certain he wanted 19mm spacing (he has fingers like the arms of the face hugger from Alien) but he cam over to mine and played them all for a while. Just to confirm. I love 16.5mm so much John Diggins is making making my Starchild JD with 16.5. Anyway, you really have to try. If your fingers are really long or double fat, you will PROBABLY want 19mm. If they're smaller, normal size, you may want to try 16.5mm Smile

Edited by moo on 13-02-2008 11:55