Graphite necks - thrunecks vs. bolt-on?

Last updated on 18 years ago
Z
zn_bassman
Posted 18 years ago
I plan to get my first Status soon (a B-2), but I have a question as a graphite newbie: is there any real performance difference between a graphite thruneck and a bolt-on?

I know the differences between thru, bolt-on, set and glued on wooden basses, but I haven't a clue regarding graphites.
N
nivek
Posted 18 years ago
That is a very good question, I've been wondering the same way about the difference and the real benefits compared to the additional price...

Have some of our beloved members been able to compare both construction types ?
statusstatus
Fusioneer
Posted 18 years ago
I have and to be honest I didn't find an enormous difference. Mind you I have now got a neck through and it does feel a bit more solid and sustains increadibly well.
Edited by status on 05-03-2006 09:33, 18 years ago
moomoo
Fusioneer
Posted 18 years ago
Don't forget that technically none the new range of graphite necked Status basses are 'through necks' as Rob has stopped the graphite short of the bridge so that it can be mounted in the wood!

I have used mostly 'through neck' Status but i can't find a difference in the stiffness or sustain etc. from the old to the new!

I guess what i'm saying is that if Rob makes it.... it's going to be 'perfect'!!!

;)
Strata #05 - Status Series II #94 - Status Series II #147 - Status Series II #230 - Status Series II #487 - Status Series II 5 string #58 - Status Series 2000 #106 - Status Series 2000 #327 (FPPR) - Status Empathy #2009 ’93 - Status Empathy 5 string '95 - Status King Bass '06 moo wood - Status King Bass '07 moo wood fretless - Alembic MK Sig Deluxe '88 - Alembic Inside Out Brown Bass ’11 - JayDee Series I 'Starchild' '08 - JayDee Series I Cherry Red ’19 - Sei Bass Flamboyant - Sei Bass Flamboyant Offset - Ibanez SR2600 ’18 - Ibanez SRMS 805 ’19 - Ibanez SR1405 ’19 - Vigier Passion Series I #623 '88 - Vigier Arpege Series II #249 '84 - Vigier Arpege Series III #088 '86 - Shuker Custom Series 2 ‘08 - Warwick Thumb 4 TN '89
statusstatus
Fusioneer
Posted 18 years ago
I should say that none of the Statii I have owned have had any construction issues at all. They have all been beautifully made. I just wish I could afford to have a few more of them.
moomoo
Fusioneer
Posted 18 years ago
I'm assuming by 'few' you mean 'dozens'!!!

:D
Strata #05 - Status Series II #94 - Status Series II #147 - Status Series II #230 - Status Series II #487 - Status Series II 5 string #58 - Status Series 2000 #106 - Status Series 2000 #327 (FPPR) - Status Empathy #2009 ’93 - Status Empathy 5 string '95 - Status King Bass '06 moo wood - Status King Bass '07 moo wood fretless - Alembic MK Sig Deluxe '88 - Alembic Inside Out Brown Bass ’11 - JayDee Series I 'Starchild' '08 - JayDee Series I Cherry Red ’19 - Sei Bass Flamboyant - Sei Bass Flamboyant Offset - Ibanez SR2600 ’18 - Ibanez SRMS 805 ’19 - Ibanez SR1405 ’19 - Vigier Passion Series I #623 '88 - Vigier Arpege Series II #249 '84 - Vigier Arpege Series III #088 '86 - Shuker Custom Series 2 ‘08 - Warwick Thumb 4 TN '89
W
Whitey42
Posted 18 years ago
My Empathy has a "thru-neck" and I love the look of the graphite running into the body, so I would say it was more aethestic than anything else on my part. It all works too and makes it seem more "organic" if anyone else agrees with me??B)
Jay TerrienJay Terrien
Posted 18 years ago
The sustain on my Stealth-2 fretless 6 is AMAZING. The bass MWAHs just by playing the open strings!!! You can hear these fretless sounds on any of the tunes on my MySpace.com page at www.myspace.com/jayterrien.

**FYI, "Judging By The Size Of Carnie" and "Insulin" are 100% Status Stealth-2 Fretless 6 entirely!! :)

Cheers,

Jay

status wrote:
I have and to be honest I didn't find an enormous difference. Mind you I have now got a neck through and it does feel a bit more solid and sustains increadibly well.
***JAY TERRIEN***
"Solo Artist, Bass, Composition, Viola,
BA Music Performance"

E-mail:
HTTP://WWW.JAYTERRIEN.COM
HTTP://WWW.GRASSTAIN.COM
HTTP://WWW.MYSPACE.COM/JAYTERRIEN

**NEWS: My latest album, "ALL THE DOLLS IN THE SAME PLACE", with Pat Mastelotto and Ronan Chris Murphy is finished!!! Check it out HERE: http://cdbaby.com/cd/terrien
http://www.jayterrien.com/news_index.htm
http://www.jayterrien.com/music_live.htm
N
nivek
Posted 18 years ago
Hi Jay !

Just a little "out of topic" post to tell you I bought your "all the dolls..." album and truly love it ! (I even created a post on this forum about it)

The fretless Status really are great sounding instruments, as is my S1, but YOU really make it sing !
Jay TerrienJay Terrien
Posted 18 years ago
No way!! Nivek, from France? I don't think I have met you. How did you hear about my record?

So, I've sold how many million units in France to date????!!! Ha ha!!

Glad that you dig the record!! It's always satisfying to hear that someone enjoys my compositions!!

You rule!!!

Cheers,

Jay
***JAY TERRIEN***
"Solo Artist, Bass, Composition, Viola,
BA Music Performance"

E-mail:
HTTP://WWW.JAYTERRIEN.COM
HTTP://WWW.GRASSTAIN.COM
HTTP://WWW.MYSPACE.COM/JAYTERRIEN

**NEWS: My latest album, "ALL THE DOLLS IN THE SAME PLACE", with Pat Mastelotto and Ronan Chris Murphy is finished!!! Check it out HERE: http://cdbaby.com/cd/terrien
http://www.jayterrien.com/news_index.htm
http://www.jayterrien.com/music_live.htm
N
nivek
Posted 18 years ago
Well, as this is not really status-related, I sent you a PM ! ;)

Now, let's talk about bolt-on / neck-thru status necks B)
statusstatus
Fusioneer
Posted 18 years ago
Not Status related but interesting none the less. Always good to hear quality bass playing.
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.