Series II or 2000

Last updated on 17 years ago
special-boyspecial-boy
Posted 17 years ago
I am looking for a series II or 2000. Help. I have been in love with these things since I was a student and have not been in a position to justify buying one. Now I am (no mor mortgage to pay). Plus I turned 40 a few days ago and my fiance had been looking for one to surprise me. No luck. She missed out on 2 on ebay and I missed one today.

Also, what are the pitfalls of either. I still know they are the best things I have ever picked up, but the more advice on what to look out for now as they are a little long in the tooth, the better. I would appreciate any help any one can give.

Thanks
SteveSteve
Fusioneer
Posted 17 years ago
Hey.

I don't know if it is a 'pitfall' as it were, as the basses are still wonderful - but I had a S2000 up until a few weeks ago. I got it converted to fretless last year and loved it as that, but when it was fretted I found the strings were always too close to the body to pop on, though the E and A were lovely to slap.
Given that, it could just be down to my technique being woeful :D
There are a few fretted-S2000 owners here who can confirm/disagree with me on that.

Whatever you get, though, I'm sure you wont be disappointed. Pictures etc when you get one :D

Steve
Status S2 5 String Fretless 'Moo-wood'
Status S1000 rebuild
Fender Strat - Fretted
Shadow Superstrat Guitar - Fretless
Ibanez RG Electric of some sort
Avalon As-101CE Electro-Acoustic Guitar

I've owned 5 Statii so far, with 2 at present....
special-boyspecial-boy
Posted 17 years ago
Thanks Steve
statusstatus
Fusioneer
Posted 17 years ago
I have an S-2 Classic and it is superb, you would not be disappointed. :D

Mind you my Shark is also pretty amazing now it's been upgraded as well. B)

Not sure where you are based but if your near Bedfordshire you're welcome to come and have a go on them.
Edited by status on 20-01-2007 11:01, 17 years ago
special-boyspecial-boy
Posted 17 years ago
Thanks very much, but it has to be an Series II or 2000.

Maybe, once I have fulfilled the (almost lifelong) desire to own one of these two, I will go for the S2 classic as well. After all, you can never have too many basses!!

Cheers

Keith
statusstatus
Fusioneer
Posted 17 years ago
The S-2 Classic is the latest version of the Series 2.

I agree you can never have too many basses. Andre and Themoo would agree with you. They have loads between them!
special-boyspecial-boy
Posted 17 years ago
I know, but I just don't like the look of them. That huge logo just below the fret board doesn't do it for me, I'm afraid, plus I don't love the look of the tuning system. For me, the original was the one that still stands the test of time in terms of looks,. I am sure there are playability improvements, but when you're in love, you're in love. What do you do?
Edited by special-boy on 20-01-2007 21:52, 17 years ago
andreandre
Admin
Posted 17 years ago
Hi and welcome to Statii! Obviously you have your mind made up so good luck !!
special-boyspecial-boy
Posted 17 years ago
Andre

From what status says (plus I had a look at the database and your name appears more than a couple of times as owning various different bases) you have a few to compare, so are better qualified then me. Are the S2s a great improvement?

Thanks for the welcome, by the way. As I said in my "new members' thread, I am so pleased that this place exists and I believe you are responsible for it?

Cheers

Keith
Edited by special-boy on 20-01-2007 22:21, 17 years ago
andreandre
Admin
Posted 17 years ago
Hi Keith, well there are a couple of things to consider. You will find the same level of detail, attention and craftsmanship to an older S2000 or Series II than on the S2 which is basically a rebuild of the original Status bass.

The Series II came first and then the Series 2000 which were made of a one piece graphite moulding which gave us resonance and sustain like never before. Optionally it was made with a wooden body and/or wood fingerboards. Some Series 2000 also had an active/passive switch whereas most Statii's today are simply active.

Personally I love the S2000 (and this is where TheMoo agrees !!) because it is perfectly balanced whether on your lap or standing up and the tonal range is quite surprising; whether you play jazz, rock or give it a mean slap you will not be disappointed.

Whatever you decide, you will enjoy it! When you do find one for sale just make sure you know where it is coming from or be prepared to send it in to the factory for an overhaul.

Andre

PS. I actually have an S2 or order but I cannot reveal all the details yet :-)
Edited by andre on 20-01-2007 23:25, 17 years ago
special-boyspecial-boy
Posted 17 years ago
"When you do find one for sale just make sure you know where it is coming from or be prepared to send it in to the factory for an overhaul."

OK, now you are scaring me. Are there any worrying things that go wrong with them. To that end, do you know where I can get a reliable one.

My problem is that I am in Italy for a lot of the time. I spend my time between the UK and Italy, so sending it back to the factory and picking it up may be a bit of a problem. I would rather buy a good one for the outset. To that end, how much should I be paying? From what I have seen, anywhere between £650 and £850 is what they seem to come up for. Is that about right? What questions should I be asking, specific to this bass?

Is the Series II not as versatile as the 2000 then? I have to say, I love the look of either. I always thought that the 2000 was more suited to slap and funk and as I play more rock, then I had settled on the II. If the 2000 suits my needs, all the better. I like the idea of switching between active and passive.

Thanks so much for your advice and I am sorry to bombard you with so many questions.

Keith
Edited by special-boy on 21-01-2007 00:09, 17 years ago
andreandre
Admin
Posted 17 years ago
Don't worry what I meant was make sure it's in good condition (nicks and dings are OK) including the neck. I am sure you will find something soon and we'll all be on the lookout for you!
special-boyspecial-boy
Posted 17 years ago
Thanks
SteveSteve
Fusioneer
Posted 17 years ago
Come to think of it, did Goth ever get his S2000 sold?

Maybe send him a PM, special-boy.
Status S2 5 String Fretless 'Moo-wood'
Status S1000 rebuild
Fender Strat - Fretted
Shadow Superstrat Guitar - Fretless
Ibanez RG Electric of some sort
Avalon As-101CE Electro-Acoustic Guitar

I've owned 5 Statii so far, with 2 at present....
special-boyspecial-boy
Posted 17 years ago
Steve

Thanks for that. I have PM'd him. It was quite a while ago now, so I guess it will have gone. Shame. Could have been easy, as I am in Italy too at the moment.

Cheers

Keith
special-boyspecial-boy
Posted 17 years ago
No joy. It's gone. :(

Thanks anyway.
Edited by special-boy on 21-01-2007 04:13, 17 years ago
moomoo
Fusioneer
Posted 17 years ago

FunkyBassMan wrote:
Hi Keith,

I've owned two each of the Series II and Series 2000.

Both of my Series II's had the active/passive switch and only one of my S2000's had it and I found I never used that feature. I feel the sound of the Series II to be a bit more rounded than the S2000 and suits rock playing better. The S2000, to me at least, was more of a slap monster and farty finger playing bass than the Series II and was somewhat clinical in its sound.

If I had to choose one or the other for straight forward rock, I would take a Series II. My personal choice, the S2 Classic, is a different sounding instrument compared to the Series II and S2000. Not that it can't sound like them but it has a wider range of tones available for the knob noodler but it costs more.

Ditto!!

:)
Strata #05 - Status Series II #94 - Status Series II #147 - Status Series II #230 - Status Series II #487 - Status Series II 5 string #58 - Status Series 2000 #106 - Status Series 2000 #327 (FPPR) - Status Empathy #2009 ’93 - Status Empathy 5 string '95 - Status King Bass '06 moo wood - Status King Bass '07 moo wood fretless - Alembic MK Sig Deluxe '88 - Alembic Inside Out Brown Bass ’11 - JayDee Series I 'Starchild' '08 - JayDee Series I Cherry Red ’19 - Sei Bass Flamboyant - Sei Bass Flamboyant Offset - Ibanez SR2600 ’18 - Ibanez SRMS 805 ’19 - Ibanez SR1405 ’19 - Vigier Passion Series I #623 '88 - Vigier Arpege Series II #249 '84 - Vigier Arpege Series III #088 '86 - Shuker Custom Series 2 ‘08 - Warwick Thumb 4 TN '89
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator