Grounding noise on Status Shark

Last updated on 17 years ago
M
MrWalker
Posted 17 years ago
Hi, guys!

I'm not a wizard when it comes to bass electronics, but I know my way with a soldering iron, so I will be able to fix it (I hope)... just need to know what to look for! :)

On my 5-string Status Shark (which is a magnificent instrument, by the way), the pickup has the metal cover. When I touch it without touching the strings, it produces a lot of noise. When I touch the strings and the pickup at the same time, the noise is reduced, but doesn't completely go away. Is it supposed to be this way? I often practice through my Behringer V-amp to a headset, so that may of course be one parameter, but the grounding noise seems to be there when I play through my ordinary combo as well. It's annoying, and I must fix it, one way or another.

So, is this a common thing with Sharks, or is it fixable? If need be, I'll replace the pickup if that's what it takes, but the bass sounds nice as it is, so if it can be fixed, I'd rather do that.

All help appreciated!

/MrW
SteveSteve
Fusioneer
Posted 17 years ago
Possibly a stupid question but, is the metal cover grounded properly? :P If you dont know where the common ground is, follow the wire from either the ring of the jack socket or the wire coming from the bridge.
Status S2 5 String Fretless 'Moo-wood'
Status S1000 rebuild
Fender Strat - Fretted
Shadow Superstrat Guitar - Fretless
Ibanez RG Electric of some sort
Avalon As-101CE Electro-Acoustic Guitar

I've owned 5 Statii so far, with 2 at present....
M
MrWalker
Posted 17 years ago

Steve wrote:
Possibly a stupid question but, is the metal cover grounded properly? :P If you dont know where the common ground is, follow the wire from either the ring of the jack socket or the wire coming from the bridge.

Not a stupid question at all, I think. :) I opened the bass a few months ago, and it has only two wires coming out on the underside of the pickup. These are connected ala Precision wiring, and then to the bridge. There are no separate grounding wire to or from the metal cover.

But is it supposed to be a separate grounding wire? I mean, the bass is most likely never touched (at least on the inside) after it left Status, but it has seen a lot of abuse (it's pretty beat up)... maybe some internal soldering has come loose?? :)

How is it supposed to be? I have inspected the wiring, but I haven't (obviously) deconstructed the pickup itself... and I wouldn't start doing that unless I knew EXACTLY what I am looking for and be sure I could get it back together again afterwards :D
SteveSteve
Fusioneer
Posted 17 years ago
If it's just a metal COVER then it shoudl be easily removable, and you could see if there is any indication that there was a solder connection on it (usually a flux residue around the outer edge of where the join would have been) or indeed if there is a wire hanging loose B)

You could also try just connecting the cover to the bridge or another definate earth point to see if that sorts it out [It'll either work or earth the actual signal]
Status S1000 rebuild
Fender Strat - Fretted

M
MrWalker
Posted 17 years ago
I guess I'll have to open it up again :) I guess a cover isn't the right term... pickup housing is probably more correct. :D

It could of course also be a bad grounding or a jack that needs replacing, too. Gonna check it out more thoroughly.
G-77G-77
Fusioneer
Posted 17 years ago
I had a similar thing on my Zoot Bass, it turned out to be a poor ground connection between the jack and the rest of the electronics.
KingBass Prototype 4, MooWood KingBass, Streamline
M
MrWalker
Posted 17 years ago

G-77 wrote:
I had a similar thing on my Zoot Bass, it turned out to be a poor ground connection between the jack and the rest of the electronics.

Going to check it out today. It's a nice bass, so all the noise is a little annoying. :)

Will check the jack properly! Thanks!
M
MrWalker
Posted 17 years ago
Fixed!! :)

It seems that the jack itself was poor, I took it off and replaced it with a new one I had lying around, and that fixed the problem. Now it's dead silent!

It must have been some sort of shortcut in the jack, because when I touched the tip of the jack, it produced the same noise as if I touched the pickup casing. When I replaced the input jack, it works as supposed. No hum or hizz or buzz no matter where I touch the poor bastard. :D

For those of you who wonder, the pickup casing is grounded towards the bridge/jack.

/MrW
(Now happy and content with the Shark 5)
statusstatus
Fusioneer
Posted 17 years ago
Glad to hear you have it sorted.

Sharks are really underated basses. They are so much better than people expect.
M
MrWalker
Posted 17 years ago

status wrote:

They definately are! Electronic-wise it's pretty simple, and maybe that's why everyone regards them as a cheap bass. But my Shark is by far the bass I have with the lowest action, but it's still completely even across the neck. No buzzing anywhere (or rather, no difference in buzzing anywhere). I like the flat and wide neck, but I know this is a personal reference. The sound it produces is full and very nice, almost a little P-ish. Perhaps it lacks a little definition (ala Berlin/Hellborg with the pickup very close to the bridge), but that's no surprise since there's no pickup there! :D But I'll keep it stock as is... I have other basses that can do the Jaco-thing. ;)

It was a steal when I got it... and one of my best purchases, I think.

/MrW
Edited by MrWalker on 26-11-2006 01:59, 17 years ago
statusstatus
Fusioneer
Posted 17 years ago

MrWalker wrote:

status wrote:

It was a steal when I got it... and one of my best purchases, I think.

/MrW

Same here. They are worth keeping an eye out for.
S
Svante
Posted 17 years ago

Yes, theyre great. I bought one last year. Its sounds like an Fender P but i prefer the Status :D
Too bad I always play my Series 3000 instead. B)
SteveSteve
Fusioneer
Posted 17 years ago

Svante wrote:

Yes, theyre great. I bought one last year. Its sounds like an Fender P but i prefer the Status :D
Too bad I always play my Series 3000 instead. B)

Careful, Status may try to snaffle it if you aren't playing her!
Status S1000 rebuild
Fender Strat - Fretted

You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator