Help with deciding top wood for an S-2

Last updated on 5 years ago
C
cecoulter
Posted 5 years ago
Dear all,
I have decided to order an bolt-on S2 5 string.
I need help deciding which top wood to go with.
The back wood will be 2-piece mahogany (no center tone block). The hardware will be black.
Somehow I don’t like the look of basses where the top wood is a different color than the body wood. I don’t know why but I much prefer when the entire instrument has the same color.... But I also prefer satin wood over anything else....
I do acknowledge that some of the top woods Status uses are stunning.
Can somebody help me decide which top top wood would match the color of the mahogany body?
I do want mahogany body because my Status Smart bass is solid mahogany and I love everything about that bass.
Rob replied that building another Smart bass or an Eclipse bass is not an option. That machines are not set up to do it any more.

Is a flamed or figured mahogany top an option?
Has anybody done a figured top that closely matches the color/tint of mahogany?

Many thanks in advance!
-Chris
-Chris
2000 Status Eclipse Custom 5-String
2008 Status Smart Bass 5-String Fretless
1992 Status S-1 Bolt-on 5 String
1993 Yamaha TRB 5
1930's German Upright Bass
2012 NS Design CR4T Electric Upright Bass
B
bassbus
Fusioneer
Posted 5 years ago
I'm wondering what is stopping you going for a solid mahogany body if that is what you like. Mr. Green and Co. have made solid ash S2s in the past so why not solid mahogany.
me4bassme4bass
Veteran Member
Posted 5 years ago
The bass on the right is solid Mahogany, the bass on the left has a mahogany body, and a calico mahogany top, about 8mm thick.

https://volneyhendrix.smugmug.com/Bas...-q5MSPP2/A
Edited by me4bass on 22-04-2019 09:44, 5 years ago
C
cecoulter
Posted 5 years ago

bassbus wrote:
I'm wondering what is stopping you going for a solid mahogany body if that is what you like. Mr. Green and Co. have made solid ash S2s in the past so why not solid mahogany.

Yes, I am thinking that over. I do like the exotic wood tops, but just not when there is a change of color....
Thanks!
-Chris
1993 Yamaha TRB 5
C
cecoulter
Posted 5 years ago

me4bass wrote:
The bass on the right is solid Mahogany, the bass on the left has a mahogany body, and a calico mahogany top, about 8mm thick.

https://volneyhendrix.smugmug.com/Bas...-q5MSPP2/A

Thanks so much for the pictures. The calico mahogany looks great.... now you showed me another option.... red color tint on the satin finish.... that looks great as well!

-Chris
-Chris
1993 Yamaha TRB 5
Garbo28Garbo28
Posted 5 years ago
I had a dark walnut facing wood in a satin finish for my KB. I wanted a dark wood that provided a little contrast with the mahogany back wood. Saying that, I have seen some rosewood tops that looked great as well. I almost had Rosewood, however it was a cost I had not allowed for the my budget. In the end I told Dawn what I was looking for and she picked from their stock of Walnut and made a great choice.
moomoo
Fusioneer
Posted 5 years ago

cecoulter wrote:
Dear all,
The back wood will be 2-piece mahogany (no center tone block). The hardware will be black.
Somehow I don’t like the look of basses where the top wood is a different color than the body wood. I don’t know why but I much prefer when the entire instrument has the same color.... But I also prefer satin wood over anything else....
Can somebody help me decide which top top wood would match the color of the mahogany body?
I do want mahogany body because my Status Smart bass is solid mahogany and I love everything about that bass.
Rob replied that building another Smart bass or an Eclipse bass is not an option. That machines are not set up to do it any more.

Many thanks in advance!
-Chris

Just ping Rob and ask him to match the colour of the body. Maybe have a slightly different wood but roughly the same colour!

Rob is the man to talk to about this!
Strata #05 - Status Series II #94 - Status Series II #147 - Status Series II #230 - Status Series II #487 - Status Series II 5 string #58 - Status Series 2000 #106 - Status Series 2000 #327 (FPPR) - Status Empathy #2009 ’93 - Status Empathy 5 string '95 - Status King Bass '06 moo wood - Status King Bass '07 moo wood fretless - Alembic MK Sig Deluxe '88 - Alembic Inside Out Brown Bass ’11 - JayDee Series I 'Starchild' '08 - JayDee Series I Cherry Red ’19 - Sei Bass Flamboyant - Sei Bass Flamboyant Offset - Ibanez SR2600 ’18 - Ibanez SRMS 805 ’19 - Ibanez SR1405 ’19 - Vigier Passion Series I #623 '88 - Vigier Arpege Series II #249 '84 - Vigier Arpege Series III #088 '86 - Shuker Custom Series 2 ‘08 - Warwick Thumb 4 TN '89
C
cecoulter
Posted 5 years ago
Yes, you are right. That will be the best thing to do.
I just don’t like any of the s-2 basses that are up on the website. That is why I had hesitated to email him about it....
Thanks!

moo wrote:

cecoulter wrote:
Dear all,

Many thanks in advance!
-Chris

Just ping Rob and ask him to match the colour of the body. Maybe have a slightly different wood but roughly the same colour!

Rob is the man to talk to about this!
-Chris
1993 Yamaha TRB 5
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator