Double ball strings

Last updated on 5 years ago
A
Amelnick
Posted 5 years ago
Want to use double ball and nickel. Got a set of Daddario NYXL and can't quite fit. Seems the bridge does not go far forward enough. Is it adjustable? Any help appreciated. The bass is a 2014 S2.
B
bassbus
Fusioneer
Posted 5 years ago
Not sure what you mean by the "bridge does not go far forward enough". Do you mean the saddles? The saddles are adjustable. Under the string is a very small allen bolt which you loosen and then move it back and forth by hand. That's how you set the intonation. You have to loosen the string first to move the saddle.
B
bassbus
Fusioneer
Posted 5 years ago
Headed or headless bass?
A
Amelnick
Posted 5 years ago
headless bass. When I turn the knob to loosen the string it does not go far enough to put a new double ball string in.
me4bassme4bass
Veteran Member
Posted 5 years ago
...I would make sure that the ball on the string retainer end, is totally seated as far down as it can be.

Some string manufacturers appear to make their dubl-ball strings a bit shorter than Status.
S
Stjohn714
Posted 5 years ago

me4bass wrote:
...I would make sure that the ball on the string retainer end, is totally seated as far down as it can be.

Some string manufacturers appear to make their dubl-ball strings a bit shorter than Status.

Steinberger strings, from what I understand, are shorter than normal and do not fit Status basses.
R
rockandroller
Posted 5 years ago

Stjohn714 wrote:

me4bass wrote:

Steinberger strings, from what I understand, are shorter than normal and do not fit Status basses.

I heard just the opposite: that Status uses EXACTLY the 'original standard' Steinberger string length.

Some of the Gibson (and other brand) 'steinbergers' are not 'standard steinberger length', though...
Damn YankDamn Yank
Posted 5 years ago
Short (pardon the pun) of ordering from Rob at Status, you can't go wrong with the Rotosound Swing Bass RDB66LD strings.
They've worked beautifully on all my Statii.
To know me is to love me, and I do.
rogertvrrogertvr
Posted 5 years ago
Amelnick

Did you solve the string length problem?
M
marcoxan
Posted 5 years ago
Just bought a set of Elite Strings DBE and ................ too short for my Classic S2 ( 2010), so now I'm sure, the standard for Steinberger is shorter than the Status one, by exemple ...
Status S2 Classic, Fender Jazz Bass Elite IV, Fender Jazz Bass FSR Classic 70 Japan.
Garbo28Garbo28
Posted 5 years ago

marcoxan wrote:
Just bought a set of Elite Strings DBE and ................ too short for my Classic S2 ( 2010), so now I'm sure, the standard for Steinberger is shorter than the Status one, by exemple ...

Up to a few months ago, I have been using Elite DBEs on my KingBass and my S4000 with no problems at all (in fact my S4000 still has a set fitted). I have also tried GHS DBEs, Newtone DBEs, Rotosound DBEs and obviously Hotwires, again with no fitting issues at all. The tuning systems on my KB and my S4000 are both different as well of course, the S4000 having the old design winders. I think there is something else that is causing your issue.

Maybe you need to post a few pictures of your bass showing the suspect strings in place at the tuning end and the neck string retainers so some of our cleverer members might be able to diagnose what the issue is. You never know, it might be something really simple.
B
bassbus
Fusioneer
Posted 5 years ago

marcoxan wrote:

If it's of any use, my S2000 developed a problem with fitting DBE strings. They seemed too short and I ran out of tuning length. Mr. Green managed to sort the problem though. As Garbo has said, some pics would be useful.
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator