Wireless system for Bass

Last updated on 13 years ago
johnghjohngh
Posted 17 years ago
I've just bought a Audio Technica wireless system for my bass its a 1400 series with two antenna at the front. Even though I have followed the instructions supplied it distorts when played through the amp. As soon as I turn up the volume on the bass its into three leds and when I hit a note its straight into the red.
RF is set to minimum on the reciever and also on the transmitter. I can only think that the system hates active basses and overloads.

So, what rack mountable wireless system works for Status Basses. The bass I tried the system with was a Eclipse Artist 6. I also have a 5 string S2. I also want to keep a good low end !

Thanks for any help offered
John:)
SteveSteve
Fusioneer
Posted 17 years ago
By RF do you mean gain?

Does it work fine when you have the volume way down on the bass?
Check batteries in the transmitter as that'd cause distortion if they arent charged.
Status S2 5 String Fretless 'Moo-wood'
Status S1000 rebuild
Fender Strat - Fretted
Shadow Superstrat Guitar - Fretless
Ibanez RG Electric of some sort
Avalon As-101CE Electro-Acoustic Guitar

I've owned 5 Statii so far, with 2 at present....
MattheusMattheus
Posted 17 years ago
That's a known issue. The output of a Status is very powerfull!! Some transmitter have trouble with handelling that... As with some other active basses. You can try the following:
- try to turn the overall output of your bass down. Inside the electronics is somewhere a pot with which you can turn down the overall output. You could contact Status for some tips. I would not prefer this option because I like the powerfull output of the Status bass!
- There should be an option on your transmiiter which gives you control over the 'gain' of the transmitter. (Every brand gives this another name f.i. input level..) Try to turn this down.
There are brands who deliver transmitter with that option. I don't know the brand I use (Shoot me... the one I use is delivered by the Rental Company which provides the gear for my band..) But I do know that Sennheiser provides the transmitters with that option.
andreandre
Admin
Posted 17 years ago

johngh wrote:
As soon as I turn up the volume on the bass its into three leds and when I hit a note its straight into the red. RF is set to minimum on the reciever and also on the transmitter. I can only think that the system hates active basses and overloads.
Thanks for any help offered
John:)

Hi John, some RF transmitters will not accept an active instrument particularly with the high output of a Status! I use the Shure PGX14 Wireless without any problem at all.
www.andresimha.com/music/my_effects/shure_pgx14/224175.gif

For your 1400 series the manual does state:
The manual does state:

Input Level Adjustment
Input trimmer controls in the transmitters enable you to use microphones or guitars with different sensitivities, or to adjust or different acoustic levels.

Guitar/Instrument: Adjusting input level
While playing at typically-loud levels, carefully turn the GT control clockwise while watching the receiver's AF Level indicator. Increase the GT control setting until the maximum audio output lights about three or four LED units on the receiver's AF Level indicator. Do not set the level too high (indicated by the red LED lighting). At normal audio levels, only the first two or perhaps three LEDs should light. (When using a microphone, return the GT control setting to minimum.) After adjusting input levels, return the screwdriver to its clip and reinstall the battery cover. No further transmitter gain adjustments should be needed, as long as the input device and the acoustic input level are not changed. See below

Hope this works out!
Edited by andre on 05-11-2006 20:18, 17 years ago
You do not have access to view attachments
MisterpinkMisterpink
Veteran Member
Posted 17 years ago
Best on the market for Bass are the Beyerdynamic models.... although the new ones aren't as good!
Essex..... Home of the Bass!!!!

UK Award Winning Wedding/Function Band:www.5catfish.com

HOT SAUCE Disco/Funk/Rare Groove covers band:www.HotSauceDisco.com

Sponsors
www.k-array.com/
www.gallien-krueger.com
www.purple-chili.com
i112.photobucket.com/albums/n182/crez5150/JayCramphorneavt.jpg
johnghjohngh
Posted 17 years ago
Thanks for the replys guys ! I've only just managed to get to the computer to check them out. It never fails to amaze me at the scope of knowledge found on Statii .com, All of you please have a cyber drinky on me, hic !
The battery in the transmitter is new, and the Guitar trimmer on the transmitter is set to minimum. I have phoned Audio Technica and they now tell me that the system isnt suitable for 5 or 6 string basses !
I wish they had known that at the Audio Technica stand at Music Alive on Saturday ! Andre, I take it the Shure system works ok with bottom B, do you use any low end clarity. I have got an old Trantec system 1 wireless at home and I have tried that but even on an open "e" string it sound way too tinny in the sound. So it looks like it may be a Shure system.
S
Schluter
Posted 13 years ago
There should be an option on your transmiiter which gives you control over the 'gain' of the transmitter. (Every brand gives this another name f.i. input level..) Try to turn this down.
There are brands who deliver transmitter with that option.
TotschTotsch
Posted 13 years ago

Schluter wrote:
There should be an option on your transmiiter which gives you control over the 'gain' of the transmitter. (Every brand gives this another name f.i. input level..) Try to turn this down.
There are brands who deliver transmitter with that option.

This thread is 5 years old, mate.
You're a little late. :P
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator